Future Caver with questions about a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asiders9

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking into buying my own gear and instead of a BCD, a BP/W system from my LDS because I want to get into deep and cave diving, but it won't be for a while. The owner of my LDS said it would be the most economical to buy the Dive Rite Rec Wing. I was wondering if this would be the best choice for me because I won't be able to learn to cave or deep dive for probably a few years due to limited funds. I was also wanting to know how I should go about getting into cave diving because as of now SSI does not offer a cave diving certification, only deep diving (although I think cave will soon come)?

Thanks,

Adam

Hello Everyone,
I'm looking into buying my own gear and instead of a BCD, a BP/W system from my LDS because I want to get into deep and cave diving, but it won't be for a while. The owner of my LDS said it would be the most economical to buy the Dive Rite Rec Wing. I was wondering if this would be the best choice for me because I won't be able to learn to cave or deep dive for probably a few years due to limited funds. I was also wanting to know how I should go about getting into cave diving because as of now SSI does not offer a cave diving certification, only deep diving (although I think cave will soon come)?

Thanks,

Adam

If you are new to diving and or new to BP&W's you will probably want to start with a single tank set up. Doubles come later (and bring lots of $$)

My recommendation is to get a plate and single wing that is appropriate for the diving you will be doing now.

Wing selection is a function of your exposure suit, and to a certain extent the tank you will be using.

If somebody wants me to make a recommendation for a doubles wing I need to know:

How buoyant their exposure suit is, and what tanks they will be doubling up. Do you have any idea now what you might be using for an exposure suit for "deep cave diving"? I doubt it.

The transition from singles to doubles is not cheap. A couple sets of doubles at $800-$1000 each, + 3-6 sets of regs, + a drysuit and various undies + training + gas + etc. etc. If you can do it for less than $6K you've shopped well.

When that time arrives the ~$300 dollars you saved by trying to use one wing for both singles and doubles will be small change. You can always sell your singles wing too.

Using a doubles wing for single tank diving will reduce the benefits of a BP&W, and may not even be the wing you need if and when you move to doubles.

Tobin

I would post, but it would just be a duplicate of the one above.

Oh... wait...

Can't comment on gear, its covered!

Don't get hung up on certification agencies though. It doesn't matter if SSI ever offers a cave diving class. Do a little research, save a bit of $$, head to an area that has caves(Florida/Mexico/ect), and get taught by an instructor that dives caves on the regular basis, regardless of the certification agency they teach for.

I'm not above putting in a shameless plug. I dive Tobin's DSS setups and recommend em to everyone. I've even converted 2 friends to them based on them seeing me dive it in Bonaire. Two weeks after we got back I was at their house explaining the DSS system and taking their order. Check them out before you do with a diverite system. Absolutely nothing wrong with dive rite BPW set ups. I just personally feel the DSS are a better value with just as good if not better quality and service second to none.

Well thanks everyone for your help. My next question is since it will more than likely be a while before I get into any tech diving, do you think it would be best to just buy a BCD over BP/W single tank setup?

Thanks,

Adam

A BP/W works pretty well for single tank, recreational diving, too. I've used a BP/W for the last 5 dives or so, and I'm a very new diver, using just a single AL80.
If you know you want to get into technical diving someday, you might as well start off in a BP/W...at least that was my reasoning when I switched over to a BP/W.

Well thanks everyone for your help. My next question is since it will more than likely be a while before I get into any tech diving, do you think it would be best to just buy a BCD over BP/W single tank setup?

Thanks,

Adam

I'll never claim that a BP&W is the answer to everything. Many divers use conventional BC's with success for their entire diving career.

Having said that there is no reason not to use a BP&W for recreational diving, BP&W are not just "Tech" gear.

A BP&W is really just a type of modular BC. You can select a plate type (light weight or Stainless) and a wing that is appropriate for single tank recreational diving.

When (or if) you make the move to doubles you can change out the wing, and keep the plate and harness you already have. That's one of the nice features of a modular solution.

Most BP&W's sold today are used for recreational diving, and most will never see a set of doubles.

Tobin

I think the Dive-rite stuff is fine.Get an aluminum backplate and harness.As for the wing I wouldnt buy a single tank wing if your going to doubles later.Just get a rec wing.It has bungees you tighten for single tank diving,and you loosen them up or take em off when diving doubles.Thats the one I got and I love it.I spent another 100 dollars and got the dual rec wing.[a backup bladder]in case of primary wing failure.I find it funny that alot of cave divers think a dry suit is mandatory.Not so with backup inflation,and a good 7 mil suit.I have a Pinnacle cruiser and have never gotten cold.Take in everyones advice and make up your own mind from there.Randy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom