Future of DiveShops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To a large degree, this exchange of an outside purchase at an LDS is a matter of how you handle it. Sure, if you accommodate the exchange at little or no charge, you probably make another customer, plus his friends. If you politely explain that you can not do that, neither of you are likely to benefit. If you tell him to get his online shopping ass out of your store you have probably made an enemy who will take opportunities to steer business away from you (except for the "showroom" customers). But if you begrudgingly accommodate the exchange, you mayn still turn off the potential future customers.

The business needs to consider both attitude and action. Bad attitude may invite your becoming a Local Dive Showroom.

If business is good, it may not matter, yet. There is little benefit in unnecessarily pissing off customers.

The most successful scuba only non resort stores I see who have a pool on site also have swim lessons. What an amazing concept, rent out a pool all day to moms and kids for swim lessons instead of letting it sit empty. It also opens up a whole new line of retail, as you can't just swim in a bathing suit like I did down at the river, you have to have goggles, and a wetsuit, and a flutterboard, and hand fins, and foot fins, and and and all of that other stuff.

Yup. That there is correct.

Yep Frank you have the perfect idea. We are thinking of adding a 15 foot tank for underwater welding training and public safety supplied air training, a pool for scuba training and swimming lessons,as that has been a huge thing here in Maryland. Now I am thinking we should add some hot tubs for the parents while the swimming lessons are going on! Diversity!!!

I gave nothing away for free but some of my time. All I did was trade like for like. In addition to that, I helped a diver, and gave a customer a positive experience in my shop. Yes they are a customer. Someone who has a need of the product I sell and is close enough to my shop to walk in. So they didn't buy the wetsuit from me. Who cares? Treat them as if you value them (because you should!) and maybe the next item they need will be bought from your shop. If they get treated with hostility, they will not be back. I am willing to bet that more of that precious time you talk about was spent explaining to the customer, who will never be back, why online is evil and why you won't do something within your power to do as a punishment for their actions, then would have been spent to make a customer happy.

You are all free to run your businesses anyway you like, and treat customers any way you like. But don't bitch and moan that sales are down or not as many people are coming in if you are going to treat them poorly. You are not the only game in town. Customers have a choice where to buy. If they chose to go someplace else, it is not their fault...it's yours.
Never said online is evil....just tell them that we price match , often we are lower cost , and have more to offer as we keep a good inventory of items and have on site pool that a CUSTOMER can try their purchased gear in.
I can understand your feelings about this as you are an online dealer. I looked at your site, did not find any wet suits there..business is not down for us. Actually it has been a busy year for us with other LDS near us going out of business or others unable to provide customer service. As to class schedules,we are the only facility in the NYC metro area with our own indoor heated pool. I personally have a private class scheduled for myself seems every week,sometimes two or more,and there are 2 other instructors here kept just as busy with private schedule classes in addition to standard weekend group schedule courses. Facility in business 15 years in same location.

Never said online is evil....just tell them that we price match , often we are lower cost , and have more to offer as we keep a good inventory of items and have on site pool that a CUSTOMER can try their purchased gear in.
I can understand your feelings about this as you are an online dealer. I looked at your site, did not find any wet suits there..business is not down for us. Actually it has been a busy year for us with other LDS near us going out of business or others unable to provide customer service. As to class schedules,we are the only facility in the NYC metro area with our own indoor heated pool. I personally have a private class scheduled for myself seems every week,sometimes two or more,and there are 2 other instructors here kept just as busy with private schedule classes in addition to standard weekend group schedule courses. Facility in business 15 years in same location.

Most of my comments were not meant for you, but since you chimed in I replied. You will not find wetsuits on my site, only in my store. I would rather know my customer is getting a properly fitted suit then try to make a few extra dollars by selling a couple of wetsuits online. I also won't sell drysuits online. I am glad you are doing well as a result of the other LDS not providing customer service. We seem to be on the same page.

For online shoppers there are great deals and niche buyers, no one will never stop that, but using a business for your personal gain, wasting sales people's time to find out what your really need and buying
On line is an acceptible practice! If you want to buy in line go for it, however do it with the risk that online buying comes with!!! "Showroom" on your computer from you couch not in your local shop!

Some diver only shop at an LDS. Many shop both online and at an LDS. And others only shop online.

I suspect most divers in that middle group would be happy to join those who only shop in an LDS if online shopping did not save them money. OTOH, if those who shop both are made to feel unwelcome at an LDS, I'm sure they will focus more on internet sources. I don't think I have ever seen and LDS that pledges a price match. If you are really willing to do that, you ought to post it on a big sign

Some diver only shop at an LDS. Many shop both online and at an LDS. And others only shop online.

I suspect most divers in that middle group would be happy to join those who only shop in an LDS if online shopping did not save them money. OTOH, if those who shop both are made to feel unwelcome at an LDS, I'm sure they will focus more on internet sources. I don't think I have ever seen and LDS that pledges a price match. If you are really willing to do that, you ought to post it on a big sign

My LDS, Dolphin Scuba in Sacramento, has a price match policy and it is plainly displayed on a sign at the counter.

They also have a large presence online, as well as their own indoor pool where they also capitalize on swim lessons as well as scuba lessons.

The owner actually gets online to look up what an item sells for online,without the customer even asking for a price match. Usually we are the same price,if not , it's matched. Sometimes the online price is higher than what the stores price is,we sell it to the customer at the lower price. Has to be same exact product and not a close out item.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom