Future of Diving in 25 years or less

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes some corals grow very slowly at less than an inch a year but there are others that can/will grow at 8-10 inches a year. While these usually won’t be the prettiest or most benifical they are still corals.

As far as corals not producing once dead that is true but have you forgot about the many coral farms now in operation? I’ve also heard that in the future scientist might need to look at coral reef aquarist for specimens to help repopulate areas.

I never said anything about corals being affected or uneffected because I simply wouldn’t know. But it is a proven fact the earth has been warmer and colder then it presently is and humans are just accelerating the process they didn’t create it.

Also I would love to see the data for how they figured the corals from back then didn’t suffer any events of coral bleaching as I would find it very interesting to read if you have any reliable sources for that information.
An interesting post. Ellesmere Island in the far North (500+ miles from the Pole) used to be almost subtropical according to fossil vegetation and animals found there. I've read that the Earth flips around every zillion years or so. I wonder how that effected corals (if there were any back then). Then again, the question is about the next 25 years.

Got around to reading some of this. While I probably didn’t even touch the surface of this website (will do later) I still stand behind what I have said with some added knowledge.

The earth has been both warmer and colder than it is presently. Although it does seem we have flipped some things around that previously where opposite (such as co2 leading temp increase). This just means humans are impacting climate change doesn’t mean humans have created climate change.

Also here is a little piece of a scientific article (will read the whole article this weekend).
“We found that on an isolated reef system in north Western Australia, coral cover increased from 9% to 44% within 12 years of a coral bleaching event, despite a 94% reduction in larval supply for 6 years after the bleaching. The initial increase in coral cover was the result of high rates of growth and...” (Gilmour et al. 2013)

So there is hope for corals in the future and I’m sure they will be around for many years to come.

Thanks @boulderjohn for the link the that website

Coral survived both the Permian and the K-T extinction events. I strongly suspect it is far more resilient than you can imagine.

Actually, you are 100% WRONG!

The big five mass extinctions | Cosmos

End Permian, 251 million years ago, 96% of species lost
— Tabulate coral, 5 CM

Known as “the great dying”, this was by far the worst extinction event ever seen; it nearly ended life on Earth. The tabulate corals were lost in this period – today’s corals are an entirely different group. What caused it? A perfect storm of natural catastrophes. A cataclysmic eruption near Siberia blasted CO2 into the atmosphere. Methanogenic bacteria responded by belching out methane, a potent greenhouse gas. Global temperatures surged while oceans acidified and stagnated, belching poisonous hydrogen sulfide. “It set life back 300 million years,” says Schmidt.

Rocks after this period record no coral reefs or coal deposits.

More than 90 percent of world's coral reefs will die by 2050
Earth has already lost half of its 'underwater rainforests' over last 30 years

More than 90 percent of coral reefs will die out by 2050

Last edited:
Actually, you are 100% WRONG!

The big five mass extinctions | Cosmos

End Permian, 251 million years ago, 96% of species lost
— Tabulate coral, 5 CM

Known as “the great dying”, this was by far the worst extinction event ever seen; it nearly ended life on Earth. The tabulate corals were lost in this period – today’s corals are an entirely different group. What caused it? A perfect storm of natural catastrophes. A cataclysmic eruption near Siberia blasted CO2 into the atmosphere. Methanogenic bacteria responded by belching out methane, a potent greenhouse gas. Global temperatures surged while oceans acidified and stagnated, belching poisonous hydrogen sulfide. “It set life back 300 million years,” says Schmidt.

Rocks after this period record no coral reefs or coal deposits.

More than 90 percent of world's coral reefs will die by 2050
Earth has already lost half of its 'underwater rainforests' over last 30 years

More than 90 percent of coral reefs will die out by 2050

Natural causes, weren't too many people around in those days I don't think. Nature also rebuilt it, without much support from humans either. Most likely, this will happen again at some point, and there won't be anything man can do to prevent it, or fix it afterwards.
While I don't advocate wanton disregard for where we live, on earth, there seems to be a number of people that think people are the scourge of the planet. Here's a philosophical question; if we destroy the planet and all life on it, who will be here to worry about it? The reality is, that nature is most likely to clear the deck again and start over, #6 ?, all by herself. When? Who knows. Enjoy our time on this cool, wet rock until she does!

This post is to see if we as a community can reach out and passed on, it is very sad that my grand children if I have the bless to having them and get to meet them will not see coral but in pictures and not in person at the rate we go now.

My Dad was born in Curacao and live there until around his 20's three years ago he came to visit us in Curacao to meet my daughters and wife.

He started to dive very jong back then and when he was on the Island we went to a beach that he liked a lot, and he was shocked that all the coral was gone, and we are talking hundreds of yards gone.

I myself notice as well Coral bleaching when I started to dive.

I watched a documentary called "Chasing Coral" and there you can see how big the impact is, I have taken my daughters to dive to let them see what I like so much those beautiful colors and forms and diversity, of what I thought is a lot of it, but it is actually a lot less than what it was.

I watched this with my 13 year old daughter and she was in tears because she understand that in her 30's nothing will be left to see if there is a miracle doesn't happen

Are you thinking in putting all your saving in opening a dive school in a blue water paradise, and retire with a nice and calm easy live, well think again.

Humans take a lot for granted.

Now imaging how this will affect tourism and Hotel, and flyings and restaurants and even the sea food and a lot more that the eye does not meet, that have to do with the ocean.

who ever have Netflix you can watch the documentary "Chasing Coral" if not there is plenty too see online

"Mission Blue" is another documentary that is a must, we are slaves of plastic and we can't get get red of it.

I hope that somebody can see and pass this message on to the right person, corporation or government that can make a difference.

It is sad that government invest trillions in finding live or the ways to reach other places in space or to find the answer of the start of life in the universe but spent shait in trying to keep the planet alive just because they think in the money, but eventually you will not be able to eat your own money to survive after humans have killed everything.

I only hope and pray it is not to late.
100%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom