FYI - Grand Cayman Airport Terminal (GCM)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Could you please provide the source of information for this part of your quote? Thank you.

As you might suspect, it's a bit off.

Caycompass article discussing tourist arrival statistics:
[h=1]Record arrivals by air this March[/h]
The share of 78.4 per cent from the US was identical in 2012 and 2013.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 08:32 AM ----------

I am not meaning to overly defend the airport here. There is a LOT that still needs to happen to improve passenger experience.

The passenger departure lounge is small and can be very crowded at peak times. There are few choices for food there. There are no jet bridges. (All the responsibility of the Cayman Islands Airport Authority)

The check in area becomes absolutely packed at peak times. This could be helped by renovating the building to add additional space (responsibility of the (responsibility of the CIAA) or by the airlines staggering their service to more off peak hours (responsibility of individual airlines).

The arrivals hall at Immigration is the first thing most visitors see upon entering the airport. And it can be absolutely packed with a line out the door (possibly with passengers waiting outside in inclement weather). The infrastructure is the responsibility of the CIAA but again airlines could stagger arrivals to reduce peak waiting times.

The Cayman Islands Airport Authority is a "statutory authority" which means it is treated much as a private business that just happens to be owned by the government. This is similar to how the Water Authority and the Health Services Authority (hospital and district health clinics) are organized. Statutory Authorities have considerably more independence than core government functions such as the police and fire services but are bound by more restrictive budgetary limits (particularly restrictions on ability to borrow for infrastructure development) than completely private businesses.

Reminds me of Provo in Turks and Caicos. Took our bags over around 9am, went back to the house for a few hours, got lunch then arrived only to find the security line snaked around the building. Only when I got to the line did I realize I was going to have to wait in it. I thought I was soooo smart taking the bags in early that I avoided that mess. HAH! Just made it. We waited 3mins after duty free shopping for our boarding call. And then they could not find my ticket which had blown out of her hand when I handed her our 3 tickets! I was never so happy to board an aircraft.

Just got home from GC and the airport was bad but could have been worse. We got there 2.5 hours before our flight and the worse part was getting checked in at the Air Canada counter. Only 1 agent. We were 8th in line and didn't move for 35 minutes.

The security line was really long when we got there but had shrunk by the time we had to go through it. Only 10-15 minutes for both security + immigration. We even then found seats for the 1+ hour wait. Not too bad really.

Betty

As mentioned, after completing the Cayman Aggressor liveaboard cruise, I have to catch a Cayman Airways flight to Little Cayman. I have assumed that I will then be treated as a domestic passenger at GCM and will not have to go through customs and immigration again till my return flight to Miami 4 days later?

You won't have to go through customs but you do have to check in and go through security. There will be lines.

You won't have to go through customs but you do have to check in and go through security. There will be lines.
Thanks. I have to be off the Aggressor at 9am and the flight is not till 1:10pm. We would have visited Georgetown the previous evening and in any case I am not a big shopper. I'll turn up at the airport soon after 10am and check-in at the first opportunity. Have to hang around somewhere and it might as well be the airport.

I am glad that I allowed over 5 hours between flights in GCM airport on the return leg. My flight from Little Cayman lands at 11:50am and I booked on the 5:10pm flight to Miami even though there was an earlier one at 2:05pm. I wanted to allow for delays and queues.

Last edited:
HH, I hear you. It's all about timing... I landed GCM @ 11:20am on Friday, May 10th, only jet on tarmac, 1st thru customs and quick luggage pickup. Wow, life is great!

Departed on Saturday, May 18th, got to airport at 11:00 for a 12:50 flight, usually not a problem in off-season. Checkin was quick due to Delta status, waited in security line for 50 mins, customs for 15. This due in large part to the 6 jets on the tarmac and peak travel time out of GCM.

It is what it is, my advise if you plan to travel on a weekend in/out of GCM, may need to go back to the 3 hour guidance.

Thanks. I have to be off the Aggressor at 9am and the flight is not till 1:10pm. We would have visited Georgetown the previous evening and in any case I am not a big shopper. I'll turn up at the airport soon after 10am and check-in at the first opportunity. Have to hang around somewhere and it might as well be the airport.

I am glad that I allowed over 5 hours between flights in GCM airport on the return leg. My flight from Little Cayman lands at 11:50am and I booked on the 5:10pm flight to Miami even though there was an earlier one at 2:05pm. I wanted to allow for delays and queues.

An alternative to killing time at the Airport's Hungry Horse restaurant is the newly opened George Town Yacht Club. It is about 1/2 mile from from the airport on the North Sound. Stopped by to check it out last trip and seems very nice, the setting is great compared to HH. Have heard from island friends that the food is good and its quickly becoming a weekend destination.

https://www.facebook.com/GTYachtclub

An alternative to killing time at the Airport's Hungry Horse restaurant is the newly opened George Town Yacht Club. It is about 1/2 mile from from the airport on the North Sound. Stopped by to check it out last trip and seems very nice, the setting is great compared to HH. Have heard from island friends that the food is good and its quickly becoming a weekend destination.

https://www.facebook.com/GTYachtclub

My question is do they have comfortable chairs? My problem with the GC airport is that there is nowhere that is comfortable to sit for 2-3 hours during layovers. The seats in the main terminal are better than the old plastic benches they used to have, but they are not comfortable for more than an hour or so. We fly into GCM from LC around 11 and fly to Houston at 4:40, so I would love to find someplace close by and comfortable to sit for a few hours instead of upstairs at the HH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom