G250 breathes great no purge????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe10540

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
After opening up and cleaning my G250 it breathes better than ever however only gives a few feeble bubbles when the purge is pressed. Everything went back together like it looks like in the manual and the purge button on the face LOOKS like it's pushing on the diaphragm. Any ideas of what could be happening? The reg breathes better than I ever remember it breathing so I would think it's on the edge of freeflow but I literally get two or three bubbles a second out of it when I hit the purge not the shower of bubbles I've become used to.

It seems odd that the reg breaths well but the purge is week. A well-tuned G-250 will free flow with the venturi set to dive when the purge is pressed.

My first guess is the purge button is not pushing the the lever down far enough to mover the seat completely away from the orifice.

My second guess would be the lever is not engaging the poppet correctly. When you press down the lever the poppet should move the seat away from the orifice. I would check if the poppet was installed correctly (not upside down) and that the feet of the lever is engaging it properly. Hopefully some of the usual suspects will chime in and give you more (and most likely) better advice.

I feel experienced enough to comment given I've now successfully rebuilt 10 of them. I agree with above as starting points. It does seem strange that it breathes well but no purge. There are only a limited number of possibilities, most listed above. Your tanks not running on empty per chance? Your lever could also be set too low, which is what I'd check first of all. I'm sure one or three of the resident gurus will be along shortly. My G250 will blow your teeth out if purged when Venturi on max. Take the cover off and see where the lever is sitting, if it's noticeably below the rim of the case it's too low. With cover off press purge to ensure it is actually functioning as it should. Try initiating a freeflow without the cover just pressing the lever. There is something strange going on for it to breathe as well as you say but no purge.

Last edited:
It sounds like the orifice is adjusted in too far; but not wanting to jump to conclusions.

After opening up and cleaning my G250

Let's start here. Did you just remove the cover, diaphragm, etc and clean what you could access, or did you completely disassemble it? If you completely disassembled it, did you replace the seat?

Have a gander at this video by Bryan. It also helps to have a diagram handy while watching.

Notice how you can test purge the assembly with the barrel removed from the case? That can be very helpful when sorting out a problem such as the one you describe.

Last edited:
I'd vote for the feet (lever) not engaging the poppet correctly.....

not knowing to what extent it was "taken apart", it becomes quite a guessing game.

If the poppet is installed upside down you can get it to work but it can jam shut, cutting off air completely to the second stage. I found this out the hard way. The two "legs" should be facing the mouth piece. Agree with above, knowing what you did exactly would be helpful.

....well if we're guessing.
Over engraved seat leading to excess orifice adjustment resulting in low lever height.

Thank you all so much for the quick replies. I took everything apart and cleaned it all and replaced the o-rings. Perhaps I don't have the legs adjusted as high as they can go I'll have to look at that when I get home tonight. Maybe another tear down and rebuild to try and figure out what went sideways.

The only issue I had with the reg prior to my adventure was honking on inhalation. It wasn't due for a rebuild yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom