G250? Worth servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't own a g260 (having the 109/156 and up through g250v series) as I don't see a reason to buy a new one. I do own a s555 that has been converted into a s600.

Properly tuned, you would be hard pressed to notice any difference in any of them. The smaller form factor of the s600 appeals to some.

(I should tell you that the g260 and/or the s600 are way better so you want them... :D)

Once I get them in my hands I'll disassemble them out of curiosity and see what's what, no doubt with more questions. Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

This is also in response to your question about how they compare to the S600...I know nothing about the G260 so I can't help you there.

Anyhow, when you take them apart you'll see they're remarkably simple. The S600 has a complicated adjustment set up with another air chamber, lots of o-rings, while the G250 just has a threaded stem on the adjustment knob that pushed against the balance chamber. I thin the geometry of the case is better in the G250 as well; it's bigger, which means a larger air capacity, which allows the expanding air to warm up a bit and it softens the venturi "push" of air into your mouth. To me this is more enjoyable for diving.

Is it still possible to get the face plate or at least the face plate decal/purge button?

Last edited:
I love mine.

Problem is with getting maintenance kits. G250V's are easy. G250's not so much. How do I keep older 250's going?

Experts see pic and comment, please...

G250.jpg

The G250, 250HP, 250V, S600 all use the same poppet and seat. The only difference is in the number of o-rings needed. A caveat, I only own an older G250 but I have seen the schematics for the others, and I have rebuilt a couple of HPs. For the older ones and G250V (almost certain of this), you need the seat, balance chamber o-rings, orifice o-ring, adjuster stem o-ring, the venturi vane o-ring, and the 2 o-rings that seal the air barrel to the case. The G250HP and S600 have additional o-rings for the more complicated breathing adjustment set up. Keep in mind that the older kits included a complete poppet with new seat, and balance chamber. But I believe they did not include any of the static o-rings like the air barrel seals. The new kits don't include the poppet or the balance chamber, but do include the seat and the tiny o-rings for the poppet stem, and all the static o-rings. All the kits also include the o-ring for the 2nd stage end of the SP hose, which is a funny metric size I believe. It's been a while since I bought any o-rings, and probably a decade since I actually purchase a kit. I bought a bag of seats from a friendly SP dealer and I'm still going through those.

I believe any of the kits will work fine for an older G250, you'll just several o-rings left over. This assumes that your older G250 has been refitted with the s-wing poppet; almost all of them have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom