G260 Reviews - Warm and Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverEngineer

Registered
Reaction score
The ScubaPro G260 second stage came out this past January and I am wondering if anyone had a chance to dive with it in both warm and cold water.

How is the regulator performing and would you recommend it over the A700?

I am debating if I should get an MK17/G260 or MK25/A700.

I'd like experienced people to chime in since I am feeling a bit reluctant to buy an "unproven" regulator. I hope it isn't vastly different from the G250-V.

Most of my dives will be in warm water, but I might dive in cold water someday so I am leaning towards the MK17/G260.

Thanks,
DE

I would give Beaver Divers a PM. They are Scubapro dealers and would be able to let you know the differences between the G250 and G260. I believe the major difference between the two is the case. With the G260 being smaller and with the ability to change the side the hose connects to.

They're both very good. I have a700 and a few divers I know have the g260. I'm not sure you could tell the difference without a magnehelic gauge...in the water both are amazing when properly tuned.

Oh yeah, calling beaver divers for reliable, unbiased information is a great idea.:D

I would agree with you totally and never would have made that recommendation, if the OP was asking whether he should buy a G260 over a non-Scubapro product. However, between two Scubapro products I would think the Beav would give more or less unbiased information. Also he is the only one I remembered that actually dove a G260.

They're both very good. I have a700 and a few divers I know have the g260. I'm not sure you could tell the difference without a magnehelic gauge...in the water both are amazing when properly tuned.

A magnahelic guage only tells you cracking force required. It does not evaluate the Venturi effectiveness or the flow rate. A magnahelic, if it has plus and minus scales like mine, provide inches of water for exhaust effort. It cannot evaluate case fault. I am sure both the A700 and G260 can be tuned to the same cracking force. But what is their flow rate and 75RMV at 132 feet? What is the exhaust effort and the overall WOB?

I have dove a G260 briefly, it breaths better than my highly tuned 109/MkV set, mostly the exhaust is easier, and is on par with my AL Titan XL. This is casual tests, personal observation, back to back, not side by side.

I do not have a proper flow meter, it is something I need to add to my equipment.

I want a G260/Mk17 but I cannot seem to justify this need to my wife as she scans across my dozens of regulators.

I believe that on the ANSTI machine the Titan XL got a 5/5 where as the G250 got a 3/5 at 75RMV at 132 feet. I would say that is in agreement with my anecdotal asscesment. So, I am saying the G260 is better, at least in that regard, than the G250.

My 109/MkV is not happy with me :(. But, then it has been highly put out ever since it saw the new Titan XL show up. It has been whimpering ever since even though I treated it with some new innards and pretty new goodies to try and cheer it up.

N

I know what a magnehelic is used for. My point being that in the water, it would be extremely unlikely you could tell the difference if both are tuned properly.

I can tell the cracking pressure difference between my a700 at 1.1" and my Dive Rite XT & Hog at 1.3-1.4" (they free flow if set lower) on the bench. In water, it's not near as easy to tell.

The g260 can be swapped left or right, so that's a plus if you're a side mount diver and like the left tank reg setup as a lefty.

I believe that on the ANSTI machine the Titan XL got a 5/5 where as the G250 got a 3/5 at 75RMV at 132 feet. I would say that is in agreement with my anecdotal asscesment. So, I am saying the G260 is better, at least in that regard, than the G250.

N

Hi Nem, can you provide the link? I believe you but I want to read up on how other regs held up. Thanks!

I know what a magnehelic is used for. My point being that in the water, it would be extremely unlikely you could tell the difference if both are tuned properly.

I can tell the cracking pressure difference between my a700 at 1.1" and my Dive Rite XT & Hog at 1.3-1.4" (they free flow if set lower) on the bench. In water, it's not near as easy to tell.

The g260 can be swapped left or right, so that's a plus if you're a side mount diver and like the left tank reg setup as a lefty.

Cracking effort is only one parameter and not an overall indicator of regulator performance or WOB. A regulator may well have a lower exhaust effort and flow air steady state at higher volume capacity despite having a higher initial cracking effort. My PRAM-HPR has a cracking force of only .4 to .6 on the Magnehelic, once flow has begun and the Venturi is established the gauge goes positive. I prefer to look at flow and exhaust effort as well. I also like to know if the Venturi provides a positive reading on my Magnehelic under steady state flow. Cracking effort can be readily adjusted though it does have design limits in that, as you noted, your regs begin to free flow.

N

I would give Beaver Divers a PM. They are Scubapro dealers and would be able to let you know the differences between the G250 and G260. I believe the major difference between the two is the case. With the G260 being smaller and with the ability to change the side the hose connects to.
I have over 100 dives using the G260. It is an excellent reg. I strongly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom