G7 + Wp-dc11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here are a few pics i took in ft lauderdale yesterday, not perfect but im still working on my technique, and im using the underwater scene mode, i really dont know how to do much else but im glad to see so many great pics using this camera, it makes excited to know that as my skills improve so will my pics without having to constantly upgrade rigs. if there is anything obvious that i could have done better please feel free to say so

Attachments

• rough head blenny3.jpg
    rough head blenny3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 2 rough head blennies.jpg
    2 rough head blennies.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 86
  • sailfin blenny4.jpg
    sailfin blenny4.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 83
  • rough head blenny1.jpg
    rough head blenny1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 81
I am still getting used to mine. I love the G7, and I use a Sea and Sea YS-90 external strobe with a Sea and Sea sync cord. I am currently using the Canon housing, but I am intending to upgrade to the Ikelite by the end of the year for the TTL function, and I am hoping to add another strobe, as well.

These shots are all San Diego, shot on our early morning shore dives. I have been using 1/200 shutter speed, f6.3-f8, and ISO100. I have had the zoom on the C1 to about 2x, so I can still use autofocus pretty easily. The strobe is generally set on about 1/2 intensity (between a f4 and 6 on the dial). R&WC, I am not an expert by any slight stretch of the imagination, but I will say that the underwater filter works in shallow water best - having the external strobe really changed things for me. If you can stretch your budget enough to buy one, I highly recommend it!!

halibut-1.jpg

coonstrip1.jpg

fingehead.jpg

goby-1.jpg

SDdorid-1.jpg

vetdiver-
i have a strobe, its a ys-25, as far as underwater filter, are you talking about the underwater scene mode? (thats what ive been using, works ok for shallow dives but at 70' + everything is really blue)

cirwin-
what do you mean by manual whitebalance? the closet thing i have figured out to a manual setting for white balance is where you point the camera at something white and it evaluates it for whitebalance, is that what you are refereing to?

all the help i can get is greatly appreciated, obviously im new at this but im trying to get a lot of practice, ill be diving on the american dream again this saturday so im hoping to have some new things to try and improve on before our cruise in 2 weeks

r&wc - yes, sorry - I meant the underwater setting on the camera. Once I got a strobe, I stopped using it.

Wish I could answer more about white balance, etc, but I have mine on auto and rely on the strobe for lighting. I am there with you - every trip out with my camera is about learning!! Guess it just takes a lot of practice. I'd love to see your pics from your next trip.

i am going out again saturday, hopefully i will have as much luck finding all those little blennies again (the little critters are my favorite), this pic is from my last dive, the quality isnt the greatest but if it was this would have made an aewsome shot, i was shooting a little white blennie that looked like was eating of the sand when i got closer i saw that it was actually bullying another blenny which was in a hole, it was a fleeting moment so i took whatever shot i could of the action, in this pic you cans see the white blenny looking down at the black one in the whole.

i cant wait until my skills are better, this is the kind of pic i would print out big and hang (if it were good quality) i guess ill just have to do a lot of diving to become a better photographer:D

Attachments

• 2 rough head blennies.jpg
    2 rough head blennies.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 97
r&wc:
i guess ill just have to do a lot of diving to become a better photographer:D

OT - Too funny...since I moved to San Diego about 6 months ago, I have gone from being a once a week/once every other week diver to a 3-times-a-week one. I'm going tomorrow morning at 5 am before work. And tomorrow night. And Saturday morning. Oh, and can I tell you? I don't even care about the camera thing on dry ground.

I think it just takes a while - I am much better than I was last year, but I have a lot to learn, and a long way to go. Oh, and of course, I have to buy more and expensive equipment :wink:

I like the blennies! Hey, is your strobe up at full strength or not syncing with your camera flash? Trying to figure out why they're so blue! Good luck this weekend, happy hunting.

I just came back from short trip to Egypt during which I used the G7 with the Canon UW case for the first time. I'm actually quite happy with the result. As long as you accept the limitations (of all/most compacts) I think you can get some nice pics with this setup! The G7 is a good compact on land (maybe the best) and it works ok underwater.

Here's a link to a few pics from my trip. They are all taken with the UW white balance (I expect manually setting the white balance will greatly improve the pics...) and internal flash.

http://www.pbase.com/dcfaria/sharm_el_sheikh

... and here's a sample:

original.jpg

I was looking into buying a g7 and already own a inon fisheye wet mount lens.

Is there way to attach the inon wet mount lenses to the canon housing for the g7 or if it is too soon for inon or someone else to develop an ad mount base?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom