G9 now... or wait for G10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm.. White balance assumes a neutral target.. your hand is usually what in photo terms is called 'fleshtone'.. ie.. not neutral.
Anything whitish or grayish will work ..
I suggest you look at your hand when at depth! Mine turn very white (perhaps I'm unusual, but doubt it - not 'cos they're cold either; water temp is 30+ Celcius here!). I know many people who use hand as white balance, and skin tones look as they are underwater - whitish!

Anyway, RAW is certainly the best way to go, if you can.

I suggest you look at your hand when at depth! Mine turn very white (perhaps I'm unusual, but doubt it). I know many people who use hand as white balance.

Anyway, RAW is certainly the best way to go, if you can.

Yes.. you are right.. your hand looks white.. That is because the red is being filtered out of the ambient light and even less being reflected back to your eye.. not because your hand actually turned white. If you put a gray card next to it you should still see a difference. That is why you need to WHITE balance to overcome that effect of red things (like your hand) looking much less red. If you WB on your hand you are telling the camera to accept the cyan shift caused by the filtration of the red, not compensate for it.
It is even more severe if you are white balancing with a strobe.
But hey .. if it works for you.. I'm not saying don't do it.. just saying that using something that is gray would be better.
And yes.. RAW is the best way to go. :wink:

but it's easy to set a manual white balance (aim at your hand, or a slate)

hmm... no thanks. I'm not taking my 5mm glove off under water just to set the white balance. :)

Nathan

Yes.. you are right.. your hand looks white.. That is because the red is being filtered out of the ambient light and even less being reflected back to your eye.. not because your hand actually turned white. If you put a gray card next to it you should still see a difference. That is why you need to WHITE balance to overcome that effect of red things (like your hand) looking much less red. If you WB on your hand you are telling the camera to accept the cyan shift caused by the filtration of the red, not compensate for it.
It is even more severe if you are white balancing with a strobe.
But hey .. if it works for you.. I'm not saying don't do it.. just saying that using something that is gray would be better.
And yes.. RAW is the best way to go. :wink:
You are probably right, though I (and others) do get reasonable results. I do normally use RAW anyway (only straying away when the card is getting full! Must buy a bigger one. :wink: ).

You are probably right, though I (and others) do get reasonable results. I do normally use RAW anyway (only straying away when the card is getting full! Must buy a bigger one. :wink: ).
Ive actually decided that ill try using one card per dive from now on.. Keeps it easier both to keep track of which pictures is from which dives without starting to go through timestamps, as well as as it being easier not to run out of space.
Downside is of course that ill need to (safely) replace the cards between dives..

i just bought the g9 for 289.00 +tax&s&h around 300.00. from 86st photo,on line

Thats a good price, and great Camera.

I just sold my G9 with Underwater housing for $ 575.

The dimension and control of G10 seem similar as G9. I am wondering whether we still can use the G9 housing - WPDC-21 for G10.
I noted there's slightly difference control on G10; on the location of ISO selector now they use for EV adjustment and they stack the ISO selector and Mode selector on the location of Mode selector.
I assume if we use WPDC-21 for G10; the only function not available is the mode selection only.
So if I can live with say - manual mode only - I don't have to buy new housing for G10.
Anybody can confirm ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom