G9 now... or wait for G10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this decision? I can grab a new g9 for around $430 (+tax) locally, and then a housing -either canon or ikelite........ or, wait until next month and get the g10 for whatever the price is when it comes out - I'm hearing $499 msrp. I'm guessing the housing will cost the same, and since I won't be doing much photography in the next month, if any at all- I'm guessing waiting will be worth it.. but I keep waffling!

thoughts, opinions, or just want to talk some sense into me... any reason, other than $60 not to wait for the g10?

The wait time? The camera isn't out yet and housings will be a while after that.

If you're doing no diving and don't want to start taking land photos to learn your camera before you do dive (assuming your next diving is very close to the new housing release), then wait. There's also no guarantee there will actually BE housings for the new model - though I can't imagine there wouldn't be...

If you want to get started sooner with a camera that already rocks and that will still allow you to grow and learn and produce great results, then grab a G9 :)

Canon is coming out with their own housing for G10. WP-DC28.

But their housing looks flimsy imo. Wait for Ikelite/Patima/sea&sea to come out later.

But buy what u NEED NOW.

And then, when the G10 comes, you can start waiting for the G11. And when the G11 comes you can start waiting for the G12 and so on...
Theres always "soon" gonna come a new model of a camera and as alcina also mentiones, it can take a while untill housings are available. I had this choice with regards to the G7 or waiting for the G9 myself and decided not to wait. I have not regretted it. Then again, Ive modified the G7 to eat in a major advantage of the G9 which was the RAW function..

All good points, thanks!

As far as there always being a new camera coming out, this is true, but my thinking was based on the fact the g10 is coming out next month, as opposed to 6 months from now. A few weeks wait doesn't seem too bad, if we were talking several months I'd not have a decision.

Also, I'm very familar with the canon powershot family, so the learning curve shouldn't be much at all- I'm also using a D80 for surface work, so I'm comfortable with camera settings, etc.

I wish there was a deal on a G9 housing to swing me over to that side.... thanks again gang!

Ive looked a bit closer into the G10 and it seems it has the same size CCD as the G9 but higher megapixel count if that help you in any way..

Ive looked a bit closer into the G10 and it seems it has the same size CCD as the G9 but higher megapixel count if that help you in any way..

Same CCD. But the 28mm compared to 35mm is an advantage on top side photography. Not too sure though if the length of lens port of the uw housing is rendering the wide angle pretty useless like the G9. I hope not.

Yep the wide angle IS an advantage, but im sceptical to the higher megapixels on the same area. Its not like the G-series is most famous for its low noice at high ISO from the previous models..

Yep the wide angle IS an advantage, but im sceptical to the higher megapixels on the same area. Its not like the G-series is most famous for its low noice at high ISO from the previous models..
Good point! I love my G9. Maybe the G10 will be better, and maybe the Ikelite housing will be available quickly. But it's there now for G9, and the Ikelite housing is the way to go, IMO, 'cos it allows eTTL strobes (with Canon's housing, you'll need to fire external strobes optically).

current marketing strategy by manufacturers seems to hit on the "Our cameras-have-the-most-megapixel hence ours the best". Those uninitiated will most probably be swayed by such adverts.

For me, fast and bright lens (F1.8) big CCD with 8-10 megapixel and full manual mode and up to f14 aperture is enough :D

Back
Top Bottom