G9 now... or wait for G10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, fast and bright lens (F1.8) big CCD with 8-10 megapixel and full manual mode and up to f14 aperture is enough :D

Well, you're not going to get f14 with the G9 (and probably not with the G10 either).

BTW - there is nothing wrong with the Canon housings :wink: I have been using them personally and in our hire fleet for years and there has never been an issue with their robustness etc.

Why do you need f14? On a compact it's much different than with a dslr lens. I never wanted for a smaller aperture with even the Oly 5050...a wider aperture, yes, but not a smaller one! Each to their own but I think you're dreaming on that wish list :)

You've waited this long, why not wait a few more years for the G13...it'll be a much better camera :)

Buy what you can when you plan to use it. If you're not diving with it for 2-4 months then wait...if you are now then just go with what's available. A new model doesn't make an old model shoot poorly.

I love my G9, but i love my Nikon D90 DSLR more, hence the reason my G9 is on eBay. I've always been a Canon guy for point and shoots, and the G9 is the best one i've owned.

Like everyone else said, if you need it within the next month or so, get the G9, if you want to wait, get the G10. There is not going to be much difference between the pictures they produce.

Actually, there's quite a difference in the focal lengths on these cameras and that's going to be particularly relevant when shooting on land - which is what they get used for far more than uw :wink:

It's nice to see the 28 at the widest end instead of the 35 on the G9, but the long end is WAY shorter on the new G10 so for those who want extra versatility of a long range zoom on their compact, stick with the G9.

My decision will also be based on whether Inon is going to make an AD Mount for the G10. They don't currently make one for the G9. If they make one for the G10 I'll probably buy Inon strobes and have the Auto TTL functionality. Otherwise, I'll buy the G9 Ikelite housing and Ikelite strobes. It will certainly cost more money but I'm not shooting Manual.

Back
Top Bottom