Galapagos - Ecuadorean Presidential Decree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We snorkeled with a humpback mama and calf at Wolf (chimney side). Also snorkeled with pilot whales, I think Darwin

I feel really sorry for all of you that have had your trips/cruises/dives cancelled.

I'm sure the diving community, especially on the liveaboards are not the main offenders, it seems land based tourism is the main cause of most of the issues - and also the non native animals and plants!

It sounds as if the Islands are in real trouble - I'm shocked at the reported levels of illegal inhabitants!

I'm really glad the President is taking swift decisive action - I have a feeling it isn't too late.

I am in a state of shock...we are less than 3 weeks away from our trip and now this...

Basically we have been informed that on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 the
Galapagos National Park suspended ALL dive operations in Galapagos.
This decision took effect immediately and is going to effect countless
divers worldwide who are booked on numerous yachts including some people
who are already in Ecuador. There are no less than 14 yachts which on a
regular basis operate dive trips and all but 3 will be effected by this
decision. The only yachts which apparently are not effected by this
decision – at least not immediately – are the Sky Dancer and the
Aggressor.

I'm off to go throw-up, I'm so upset by this news

Deep Blue - Leaving the State on 8/4
We originally set-up to book with the Aggressor but chose Deep Blue b/c they had the open dates and had very positive reviews here on SB.

More info:

On Wednesday, July 11, 2007, it sounds like the yacht owners had banned
together and had collectively hired an attorney to filing an emergency
appeal with the supreme court of Ecuador. The local Galapagos
politicians are now involved with this issue and they have requested an
emergency meeting with the President of Ecuador for the yacht owners.
Unfortunately President Correa is currently in Europe. No one knows
where this is going to lead but at this point in time...

Well, thanks for the update.

I am booked on Deep Blue in mid September. I hope the situation gets worked out, and you can make your trip.

I contacted my LDS this morning, and they attempted to contact the tour operator. All they have received is ominous silence.

Now excuse me while I join you in throwing up.

Heard the same thing. Makes me sick. Hope it all works out. It's a RIDICULOUS ban. Currently we are on the Aggressor in August.

edit - word I heard was that Aggressor was the only op that ever obtained a dive operations permit, Peter Hughes bought one that I guess is seen as valid.

If anyone is going to the Galapagos islands on a liveaboard other than Peter Hughes or the Aggressors anytime soon and they have not been contacted by their travel agents they better contact them ASAP.

The Galapagos National Park has banned them all from Diving! Apparantly the other liveaboards do not have the correct licenses and they have started to apply the law hence they are not allowed to dive. Many trips have been cancelled this week, next week and in the near future.

The boats are trying to take legal action to enable them to operate but as yet nothing has happened. I am booked to go in August and that now looks slim. I felt really bad for the operators etc not being able to work hence the crew not being paid etc but now if the stories that they simply do not have the correct licenses are correct I feel a bit like they have duped me. I have been booked on for 18 months and now it seems they technically sold me something they could not offer me in the first place! Should have gone with the Aggressor it seems?!

what a royal bummer for you. i must say, however, that the fact that they apparently are coming around to apply some laws may present a modest glimmer of hope for the shark populations in the galapagos (not that the divers have been the issue). of course, it could also mean that the operators just refused to pay bribes.

Back
Top Bottom