Galapagos in 1 week !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I leave for a 10-day trip on the Galapagos Aggressor in 1 week !

I'm a warm water diver experienced in the Caribbean. About 300 dives. Have done 3 liveaboard trips. 2 in the Caribbean and 1 in Raja Ampat.

I got a 7mm suit with hood for the trip along with a few pairs of gloves.

Anything special I should know in advance ? I've read many of the posts about strong currents. Raja Ampat had strong currents in areas. I was fine, stay calm, don't fight it, duck down behind a rock and hold. Should I expect similar or worse ?

I shoot a big video camera. Any problems on the pangas with a big heavy camera ?

I believe it is winter in Ecuador. Topside temps on the boat at night about 70 degrees sound right ?

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

I am SOOOOOO jealous . . . have fun and safe diving! I vaguely remember someone telling me it gets chilly . . . hopefully you'll get some good feedback to your question.

Topside temps sound about right, but take into account that with breezes, might feel cooler. Bring a great wide brim hat for day time. I hate using sun block as it tends to cause mask leak, so always use a broad rim hat with a chin strap to keep it from blowing away. The sun is so intense during the day, especially on the water.

I'm sure the Agressor is accustomed to serious camera and video set ups, so I wouldn't worry.

Awesome! Post a report when you get back. I'm going next month and can't wait. Have a great time!

Pangas are tough RIBs that shouldn't have trouble with whatever gear you bring as long as you can haul it a up foot and a half over the side. Some have big cargo netting to grab on as well. No worries on that score.

Are you going with Pan Aqua Aug 17-27? If so, Me Too! :) See you there!

We are going to Guayaquil first for a couple days, then we will be in Quito afterwards. Wanted to get a sense of both cities, although from everything I've heard Quito is preferred from a tourist point of view. So we will see you on the plane!

Hey, ya'll. My wife and I are going on the Celebrity Xpedition Aug 23 through the 29th with Quito before and after for our first visit. We plan to dive a couple of days but our travel agent has informed us the weight limit on the flight from Quito to Baltra is a paltry 30 lbs for the one checked bag, 15 lbs for a carry on and one "personal" bag (like a purse or a camera bag) per person. The Radisson apparently has a secure room into which we can check luggage we can't take to retrieve on our return. We decided to leave most of our dive gear at home except for safety stuff, prescription mask, hoods and gloves, as everything else is included by the local dive op in the charter fee. Don't know if a live-aboard like Aggressor has a different flight deal but I thought you might want to check before you drag all your stuff to Ecuador only to have to choose between dive gear or clothes before you get on the plane and ship the refuse to your returning destination.

Guayaquil is on the coast and being within a couple degrees of the equator, should be comfortable. However, take some warm stuff for Quito as it is situated 9350 feet up in the Andes.

In doing my research, I found out rather than winter, it's garua season in which the Humboldt current brings the cold water (and weather) up from Antarctica. It looks like temps can vary a bit this time of year for both top and bottom side from mid-60s F to mid 70s depending on how all the currents are interacting. Evenings apparently tend to be in the mid-60s. It also tends be a bit cloudy but ironically, drier than Dec. to May. And, I’m informed, windier with rougher seas.

But the really good part is that this is when the animal life really comes to the area driven by the plankton! So we’re gonna have fun looking at it all! I’m so excited I can hardly wear a wet-suit lest I lose control of myself. Penguins and seals and Hammers, Oh My!

Good luck. Have fun. We will.

I fly out to the Galapagos once a month and my checked weight is typically 22-24 kg...more like 52 checked pounds and I'm yet to pay an overweight charge. Doesn't mean there isn't a first time.
I don't think they have ever weighed my backpack...but I'm not referring to the large, backpacker travel type, just a regular day pack sort of backpack. Point being, you won't have to decide between what to bring and what to leave, but you may have to pay extra baggage fees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom