Galapagos Scuba Diving Fatality - February 12, 2010 - Eloise Gale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a problem with folks who are not ready for places like that thinking that a gold Visa Card is all that it takes.

I agree. On the other hand it is always difficult to judge just how good you are as diver i.e. it is hard to judge if you are ready for the Galapagos or not.

I've often been on dives where I heard other divers complain about the currents being very strong, when I did not think that the currents were at all strong.

I think these arguments are all very sensible, and I agree to a large extent. However, if we assume that the weakest link is the diver, whether it be due to over extending themselves, inexperience, panic, aberrant situation etc, the fact remains that this raises the issue of how to prevent future incidents, minimize the risk of ending up in a recovery scenario as opposed to a retrieval, and avoiding tragedy.
This is where I think the DM, crew and boat/dive operators come into play, be it a question of perceived responsibility,initiative or professionalism. Equipment, training and expertise, planned responses for scenarios etc may all contribute to lessen the risk of such a tragedy occurring in the future ; whether it involves a passenger or a DM.

A DM is NOT going to save you here, sorry.

Unless the DM is your buddy (and only your buddy), a DM can't save you anywhere. And even if the DM is your buddy, there's no special reason to beleive he's any more qualified than you are, and may be less.

The sooner people realize this, the safer they'll be.

I'm not dumping on the DM, it's simply impossible to "keep anybody safe" if you're more than grabbing distance away. The entire concept of having an underwater "dive master" is inherently flawed.

Terry

I think these arguments are all very sensible, and I agree to a large extent. However, if we assume that the weakest link is the diver, whether it be due to over extending themselves, inexperience, panic, aberrant situation etc, the fact remains that this raises the issue of how to prevent future incidents, minimize the risk of ending up in a recovery scenario as opposed to a retrieval, and avoiding tragedy.
This is where I think the DM, crew and boat/dive operators come into play, be it a question of perceived responsibility,initiative or professionalism. Equipment, training and expertise, planned responses for scenarios etc may all contribute to lessen the risk of such a tragedy occurring in the future ; whether it involves a passenger or a DM.

Don't forget that most experienced divers (those that are supposed to dive the Galapagos) just want to do their own thing and hate it when the DM tries to babysit them.

Diving in the Galapagos will never be as safe as for example diving in Bonaire. But, diving in the Galapagos is made safer when the diver does not need a DM to babysit him/her.

We should accept that diving in the Galapagos is only for strong divers.
@Stichus III: I agree with you. It's obvious that one should be a strong diver who is familiar with his equipment prior to undertaking dives in the Galapagos...but I'm also interested in discussing what kinds of changes can be made on the part of the dive op. I think that DM-related changes (DM positioning, DM-to-diver ratio) can/should be part of that conversation.

California dive boats typically don't have an in-water DM. For various reasons, I prefer it that way for the kind of diving we do here. Not sure I'd feel the same way about Galapagos diving...but I haven't had any firsthand experience there yet.

I just have a problem with saying that the victim was not a strong enough diver for diving in the Galapagos. Case closed. It doesn't encourage a very active discussion.

@Stichus III: I agree with you. It's obvious that one should be a strong diver who is familiar with his equipment prior to undertaking dives in the Galapagos...but I'm also interested in discussing what kinds of changes can be made on the part of the dive op. I think that DM-related changes (DM positioning, DM-to-dive ratio) can/should be part of that conversation.

California dive boats typically don't have an in-water DM. For various reasons, I prefer it that way for the kind of diving we do here. Not sure I'd feel the same way about Galapagos diving...but I haven't had any firsthand experience there yet.

The most important aspects that I believe could be added is well before anyone gets in the water.

- Our site briefs were good but did not emphasise the team or buddy aspect. This is not unusual, anywhere.
- protocol on what to do on separation was missing
- the guidelines (no deco, no solo) were clearly because that's what happens. Either make sure it doesn't happen (ground divers) or make sure there are plans and briefings for when it does happen
- practical environment briefs (how to cope with current, how to avoid banging your head, negative entries)

Protocols were not well discussed for any of the above. I'm not saying any of these things would have saved the deceased diver but I wouldn't bet against it either.

J

Diving in the Galapagos will never be as safe as for example diving in Bonaire. But, diving in the Galapagos is made safer when the diver does not need a DM to babysit him/her.

We should accept that diving in the Galapagos is only for strong divers.

Sure Stichus, I both understand and agree.
But my point relates to "collective" understanding, responsibility and preventative action from both the divers and the dive operation.

...but I'm also interested in discussing what kinds of changes can be made on the part of the dive op. I think that DM-related changes (DM positioning, DM-to-dive ratio) can/should be part of that conversation.

But my point relates to "collective" understanding, responsibility and preventative action from both the divers and the dive operation.

They should "ground" weak divers that have made it on the live aboard, so that they don't harm themselves or others in the group. And accidents will still happen; even to those divers deemed strong: People die every year diving in Bonaire, where the diving is super easy.

Let's extend the discussion a bit, I've had to run dive ops off of ship in lots of places in the world, including the Galapagos. I've never found it to be problem or an issue and many of our dives are much more challenging and much more task loaded than taking pictures in a heavy current. So what's the difference? It's rather straightforward, divers who are well trained to being with (100 hour course); who are established in a experiential hierarchy before being permitted to make these sorts of dives (the least qualified diver on the trip would be a 100 ft. diver: that means 100 hour course plus 12 dives to 30ft, 12 dives to 60ft, 12 dives to 100ft, all with more experienced buddies; Decompression exams, written and practical); and divers who are all experienced working together, with the same equipment and procedures (not DIR, but philosophically parallel).

Frankly if I wanted to dive this sort of place as a recreational diver ... I'd go GUE or UDT, put together a GUE or UDT team and go on a boat that would let us do as we needed to.

I just have a problem with saying that the victim was not a strong enough diver for diving in the Galapagos.

You are right. But accidents will always happen in diving, even to the best divers.

When we dive we accept that risk. I just hope that verybody understands the elevated risks associated with diving in the Galapagos. This is where the dive operators probably fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom