Galileo Sol - Bulk or Bite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke with someone at Uwatec and they told me that if you purchase their equipment from an Authorized dealer , your purchase is covered EVERY WHERE. just keep your receipt. SO if I bought a Galileo SOL in Spain, and brought it back to the USA, it would be covered under their warranty

This is good to know, I was wondering the same thing.

The transmission under water uses a oscillating magnetic field. The field geometry depends on the emitter coil, but the range is different in different directions. If I remember correctly the optimal way is to have the transmitter pointing in the direction of your head. It is true that a camera flash disturbs transmission.

Niclas
(Worked for Uwatec, working for Polar)

My Sol manual has no useful detail on the field geometry (which they call radio waves). Can you suggest how to learn more about the shape of the field and transmitter orientation?

My Sol manual has no useful detail on the field geometry (which they call radio waves). Can you suggest how to learn more about the shape of the field and transmitter orientation?

You would need a small power plant to use radio waves.

This is a kind of deeper technical issue. Anyway, The parameters are chosen so the system will work acceptable regardless how you mount, for the few persons that like to optimize everything it's interesting to know...Most books on electronics have some simple image of a field around a coil.

Niclas

Maybe what he meant by radio waves was actually electromagnetic radiation.

Radio waves are a specific EM band but most people [incorrectly] use the term to refer in general to all EM radiation.

If the transmitter isn't using EM waves to transmit wirelessly then Uwatec has a LOT of explaining to do. Like why they haven't clued us in on the biggest breakthrough in physics in 200 years. :eyebrow:

Yes, I agree with 4sak3n. Uwatec probably meant electromagnetic waves. I guess the marketing said that the word is too long and will make people confused. Can something be electric and magnetic at the same time?

So all waves have a magnetic and electric component and this is required by physics. I don't think you can have one without the other, old Maxwell requires them both to be present(?). 20 years since I studied this.... somebody feel free to correct me. Typically in near field communication you use a coil(magnetic) and the electric field is immeasurable small. Commonly used frequencies in NFC are

9 kHz and below. Note that this frequency spectrum us unregulated
120(?) kHz
13.5 MHz

The most common example is RFID. This is the small sticker you find on a lot of stuff that you buy from the shop. Used for identification.

Magnetic fields penetrate water well as opposed to electric. The other type of example is Bluetooth. Bluetooth transmits at 2.4 GHz, hopping over 79 channels. 2.4GHz is the same frequency that is used in microwaves and is extremely well absorbed by water(resonance). Anyway these kind of systems have an antenna that picks up the electric field, electric fields are practically short-cut by water. For the same reason you can not use GPS in water.

Niclas

Well, to continue my trend of being nit-picky from my last post ... :dork2:

Not all waves have electric and magnetic components. You get sound waves, light waves, fluid waves (which are basically sound waves at MUCH lower frequency) and, if you believe some crackpot contemporary quantum physicists, space/time waves. Each is made up of different components. :dork2:

But seriously though ... NiclasG is spot on.

A purely electric wave can't propogate through space without a magnetic component. It would collapse as soon as it forms.

It would be like a car without wheels or a diver's cylinder without gas. :rofl3:

EM radiation needs both the magnetic and electric components to enable it to propogate through space.

Not sure on that bit about short-circuiting the electric field though. That sounds like hand-waving, 'lies to children' physics to me. :blinking: Isn't it just that the coefficient of transmission through water really lousy or it has something to do with the resonant frequency (as you mentioned)?

There is a big difference between those two and 'short-circuiting' an electric field!!!

/nerd

P.S. This stuff was 2 years ago for me NiclasG, not 20, and I've already forgotten 90% of it! :depressed:

I think nit picky would be to start discussing the wave/particle duality of nature & then insisting that a light wave is indeed a frequency of EMR. :)

I think nit picky would be to start discussing the wave/particle duality of nature & then insisting that a light wave is indeed a frequency of EMR. :)

What do you mean by 'insisting'? It is! :wink:

Has anyone stateside purchased a Galileo from LucasDiveStore.com and succesfully registered it with Scubapro/Uwatec? What dutie/taxes were assessed by customs if any?

In support of what 'dontaskme' states, I see that Scubapro has the following on their support FAQ:
" If I buy SCUBAPRO UWATEC products overseas, can I get servicing / warranty coverage locally? Yes, provided you bought the product from an Authorized Dealer."

I thought some of you might be interested in my recent email exchange with a rep at Scubapro. So far, I haven't received a reply to my 9/23 email.

Posted At: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:38 PM
Thank you for responding.

The computer is not totally unusable. I can get the button to pop back up
by pushing on it several times or wiggling it. Sometimes it will pop back
on its own with a harsh "click" as if it's stuck or hung on something.

I've also been having trouble with the connection with the pressure sensor
dropping. I wonder if the seal around the button may be failing and letting
water get in causing the signal loss and sticking.

Since you say there are limited repair options, do I just throw it away and
buy another or can you offer some alternative deal?

Regards,

Original Message:
-----------------
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:27:35 -0700
To:
Subject: RE: After-Sales Product Support

Hello,
There are very little repair options on the Sol and most likely it will need replacing.
I haven't seen a sticking button unit. Is the computer unusable because of it?

Regards,

-----Original Message-----
Posted At: Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:00 PM
Posted To: Ask Scubapro
Subject: After-Sales Product Support

Dear sirs,

I purchased a used Sol computer. I have no idea where the original owner
bought it, but I believe it was somewhere in Europe.

I used it for 8 dives and the center button now sticks down. I am
interested in getting it fixed and am willing to consider paying for
repairs. Is there any way I can arrange for a repair estimate?

Thank you,

Back
Top Bottom