Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irrespective of the warning message, what does it do to let you see what your ascent rate actually is as you're going up?
It has bars around the right side of the watch. Green means your ascent rate is good (<7.9m/min), orange is moderately high (7.9-10.1m/min) and red is >10.1m/min. There's also a little arrow to show where in the bars you are.

Irrespective of the warning message, what does it do to let you see what your ascent rate actually is as you're going up?
Ascent Rate and Descent Rate are shown on the right side of the display, it has a small arrow and bar graph to show you if ascending or descending. It is nicely done and gives you a good indication of your rate.

I agree but I suspect it won't happen in the Descent MK1. I believe hardware is required that probably isn't in the current crop of watches. Perhaps the MK2 will have AI.

Probably correct. Unless Garmin can pull off something unknown with ANT+ it'll probably have to be a new computer. It looks like their HR straps for swimming just store and forward once they can connect. that wouldn't be too useful as a pressure gauge though as I'd want to know air usage while in the water, not afterwards.......

I'm about to get one of these and I see that it maps your entry and exit but can you extract the actual gps coordinates? Thanks.

I'm about to get one of these and I see that it maps your entry and exit but can you extract the actual gps coordinates? Thanks.

Yes, once you import the *.fit file into Diving Log, you can automatically create a new dive site at entry and/or exit point. When you open the dive site details, you can see the GPS coordinates.

Probably correct. Unless Garmin can pull off something unknown with ANT+ it'll probably have to be a new computer. It looks like their HR straps for swimming just store and forward once they can connect. that wouldn't be too useful as a pressure gauge though as I'd want to know air usage while in the water, not afterwards.......
I thought the same thing re:ant+.
So much so, I emailed the suggestion to garmin, but never heard a peep.
Didnt know the hr monitor only stored data.
I didnt look too far into it, but I believe the cycling speed and caidance are live to the watch.

It really is a shame they didnt consult people and have air integration from the outset. Especially with the price of the watch and the market those prices are aimed at.
I've been wearing a fenix 3hr for years, had recently completed my open water course when this was launched.
Was funny. Whilst doing my open water, I actually thought that a fenix dive watch would be awesome. Now I wait with fingers crossed and hope a mk2 comes and has air integration.

I didnt look too far into it, but I believe the cycling speed and caidance are live to the watch.

It really is a shame they didnt consult people and have air integration from the outset. Especially with the price of the watch and the market those prices are aimed at.

My understanding, from reading DC Rainmaker's review, is that Garmin did look at air integration and it's on their list of future additions. But they felt that the the standards / suppliers for air integration comms / hardware is fairly new and fragile, and they didn't want to bet on the wrong horse.

I respect their plan in that regard. It's their first product targeting in a fairly small market. They don't know how well it will sell, and it's prudent from an investment view not to add an option that would be quite expensive from a development perspective. Decent takes much from the existing Fenix line; adding a new radio frequency that works underwater (ANT+ and BLE don't work underwater) would require a chipset not found in the rest of the Fenix line, and thus quite a bit of cost that can't be spread around the other models.

I've been wearing a fenix 3hr for years, had recently completed my open water course when this was launched.
Was funny. Whilst doing my open water, I actually thought that a fenix dive watch would be awesome. Now I wait with fingers crossed and hope a mk2 comes and has air integration.
ANT+ doesn't work underwater. I tried it with my Forerunner 310XT and Premium HR strap a few years ago. As soon as one or both go underwater the signal is lost.

This is why the HRM-Tri strap uses store and forward as the signal won't work while swimming or diving.

All other ANT+ connections are live to the watch when in the air, such as cycling speed and cadence (I know I have tested it with my Descent Mk1).

I'm not sure why you think Garmin didn't consult.

There are loads of dive computers, even in the same price range, that don't have air integration. A Shearwater Perdix (without AI) isn't that much cheaper that the Garmin Descent Mk1.

Back
Top Bottom