Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’v been pretty open with the fact that I’ve been a descent tester, having my fair share of dives on it, not to mention daily wearing it the majority of the year. I’m absolutely open to questions and won’t pull any punches to areas I find it lacking.
If I can help, ask me anything.

I am a former Fenix 3 HR owner and a current Fenix 5 owner. I also have a Suunto D6i that I use for diving. I am on the edge of buying the new Descent, but am struggling with why Garmin says it can't do things that the 5 or 5X can do such as cardio/strength workouts, multi-sport, and more importantly running dynamics (i am also a triathlete). The sensor suite seems to be the same as the 5x with the addition of the depth sensor. So, while I wish the Descent were the sum of my 5 and my D6i, it is not as functional as my 5 (per the advertised specs). Do you have any knowledge as to why they removed these what seem to be SW features?

Also, any thoughts on how to integrate with non Garmin dive logging SW?

thx!

Because they want you to buy multiple devices...

I am a former Fenix 3 HR owner and a current Fenix 5 owner. I also have a Suunto D6i that I use for diving. I am on the edge of buying the new Descent, but am struggling with why Garmin says it can't do things that the 5 or 5X can do such as cardio/strength workouts, multi-sport, and more importantly running dynamics (i am also a triathlete). The sensor suite seems to be the same as the 5x with the addition of the depth sensor. So, while I wish the Descent were the sum of my 5 and my D6i, it is not as functional as my 5 (per the advertised specs). Do you have any knowledge as to why they removed these what seem to be SW features?

thx!
Wait, what? Their website says the Descent has run dynamics, hiking, etc. I assumed this was the 5x with a dive component addition. In fact, I bought it specifically because I am an avid hiker and want the ability to track hikes. Is that not possible?

Yeah it's a bit confusing what it does / doesn't have (versus 5X), and what probable FW updates will add. The last 1/2 dozen or so posts in this thread have some historic detail Garmin Descent MK1 - Wish List, Reliability and other MK1 related things. that might be helpful.

My understanding comparing the 5X and the MK1 is that:
The User Manuals don't show those differences.
The website shows the following differences (below).
Some of the differences may be eliminated with future FW updates.

from : Garmin | Compare (with MK1 on the left column and 5X on the right)

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 2.26.10 pm.png

Last edited:
Yeah it's a bit confusing what it does / doesn't have (versus 5X), and what probable FW updates will add. The last 1/2 dozen or so posts in this thread have some historic detail Garmin Descent MK1 - Wish List, Reliability and other MK1 related things. that might be helpful.

My understanding comparing the 5X and the MK1 is that:
The User Manuals don't show those differences.
The website shows the following differences (below).
Some of the differences may be eliminated with future FW updates.

View attachment 446181
Ahhhh...that makes sense to compare what Garmin actually shows. Seems they really are the same based on that chart (with some minor differences). Good to know. Thanks.

thx!
Hi I was thinking in getting the fenix5 or 5x for daily use and occasionally scuba diving and free diving. have you used your fenix 5 for dives in salty waters? what depth did you reach?

I read that its possible to download further scuba apps for the fenix 5/5x which transforms it as dive computer.
Any feedback is welcome.
Many thanks!! Ale

I do not think the fenix5 can be turned into dive computer by just downloading some apps. I think you need to get the Descent to do as you mentioned.

Here
I do not think the fenix5 can be turned into dive computer by just downloading some apps. I think you need to get the Descent to do as you mentioned.

per this website and apps it actually can
Installation Instructions | Garmin IQ Dive Computer

and watch this
and this

if the links dont work search on google for this fenix 5 scuba youtube

maximum depth stated is 100m and per the videos it should be possible ... the question is how long they will last using them in SALT water ...

and have a look at this if you want to know all the apps you can use https://apps.garmin.com

one more thing to add and keep an eye on, if Garmin will perform any hardware upgrades ...

Fenix 5 - Confirmed **Antennae Modification** by Garmin. Is this the 5+? (A: no!) - the5krunner

I am eager in getting the fenix 5 or 5x but still not sure which one to take ... its a pitty that the fenix 5 has only 64mb memory and the 5x some giga bytes ... its really cheap from Garmin to give 64 mb of memory to such an expensive device :-(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom