Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, AI is very useful function, especially for those of you who dive with your own equipment.
For me that I travel (sometimes even in very distant places) and renting equipment there, AI is not crucial at all, because rented equipment is not equipped with AI transmitters.

For me, Descent MK1 (even without AI but) with all the other sensors, receivers, functions, APPs, ..., is an very useful device! Finally wristwatch which has everything and which can be used in 99% of sports, even for navigation!

Last edited:
ANT+ doesn't work underwater. I tried it with my Forerunner 310XT and Premium HR strap a few years ago. As soon as one or both go underwater the signal is lost.

This is why the HRM-Tri strap uses store and forward as the signal won't work while swimming or diving.

All other ANT+ connections are live to the watch when in the air, such as cycling speed and cadence (I know I have tested it with my Descent Mk1).

I'm not sure why you think Garmin didn't consult.

There are loads of dive computers, even in the same price range, that don't have air integration. A Shearwater Perdix (without AI) isn't that much cheaper that the Garmin Descent Mk1.
Did not realise that ant+ doesn't work under water. It definitely makes sense not to use it.
And you say that the shearwater perdix without AI isnt that much cheaper. But, the perdix with AI is the same price.
I was looking at the titanium version. And I just think for the price that it is in the market, sales will suffer due to the lack of AI.
When you're spending close to $2500(aus), it's one of the features most would look for.

So, I shall patiently wait for the mk2, and hope that they do release it, and it has AI.
If so, I will definitely place a preorder for one.

The technical dive computer many people think is the best on the market costs several hundred dollars less than the Garmin.
What device are you referring to?? You peeked my interest and I am in the market for a new PDC. I have a Oceanic Geo 2 that I bought for a trip to Truk Lagoon 10 years ago.

What device are you referring to?? You peeked my interest and I am in the market for a new PDC. I have a Oceanic Geo 2 that I bought for a trip to Truk Lagoon 10 years ago.

Shearwater Perdix.

However, since his post, the Shearwater Teric has come out. I don't think it's cheaper than the Descent, but it is definitely the computer I would buy, if I were buying a new computer today.

I don't know about elsewhere but here in Australia the Teric is around $100 more than the Descent Mk1.

The advantage the Teric has over the Descent Mk1 is that it has AI, however, it is pretty much only a dive computer.

The Descent Mk1 is also a sports computer and does so much more that the Teric (GPS, heart rate, activity tracking).

Hello from Germany
I am visiting the States in a couple of weeks and I am thinking about buying the MK1 in the US because it's less expensive than over here. What I'd like to know. Are worldwide maps integrated or does the MK1 sold in the US has a map of the US on board while the MK1 sold in Germany has a map of Germany only? Do I have to buy maps according to the countries I visit? US maps only wouldn't make sense for me.
Hopefully anyone's got an answer.

Thanx
Roland

@roland
You should read forum Descent Mk1 - Garmin Forums

Briefly: MK1 sold in Europe has mainly European maps, while MK1 purchased anywhere outside the EU does not have EU maps installed.

I'm very very pleased with my Descent MK1. It is accurate and easy to change the settings.

Hello from Germany
I am visiting the States in a couple of weeks and I am thinking about buying the MK1 in the US because it's less expensive than over here. What I'd like to know. Are worldwide maps integrated or does the MK1 sold in the US has a map of the US on board while the MK1 sold in Germany has a map of Germany only? Do I have to buy maps according to the countries I visit? US maps only wouldn't make sense for me.
Hopefully anyone's got an answer.

Thanx
Roland

Hey Roland,

With Garmin is pretty straight forward you can download and erase any map for any region you want. When you get the watch most probably will come with the US map, but you can always download new ones using the computer software called "Base Camp" I am not sure if you can also add them by the App.

Cheers!

Alejandro.

Both my husband and I are thinking about the Descent. I'm a small woman and I'm wondering if this really is the size of a man's watch or if it's really the size of, for instance, a Gecko. I've looked at online pictures and it looks pretty darned big - but women are wearing some rather large-faced watches these days in order to get all the bells and whistles (iWatch for instance). So are there any women here who are using this as a fitness tracker as well as a dive computer? Or wives of any of you guys?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom