Gas Density Calculator App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi
Just doing some research into the viability of an App for both Iphone and Android that would allow divers calculate their bottom gas or diluent density at max depth.

This is something I thought of in response to S.Mitchell's paper on the effects of gas density on divers at depth, published last year at the Rebreathers and Scientific Diving Workshop Proceedings (p.66) on February 16-19, at Wrigley Marine Science Center, Catalina Island, CA.

Appreciate it if you can take the time to complete the attached survey:

Market Research - Gas Density Calculator App Survey

Its just 7 quick questions, no more than 2 minutes max to do.

Regards

Cathal

Thanks Claudia, I'm hoping there maybe room in the market for one more :). Although I cant seem to find it being offered on their website.

copy of my response to the survey.

if making the app, you have to differentiate between FFW and FSW as well as metric and imperial since people will want to put in the depth instead of the atmospheres. Have tofull percentages of the gas mixes from 0-100, as well as preferably having quick links for "standard" gas mixes.

Personally, I think it is a waste of programming time unless you think you would benefit from it. With standard gasses, it is easy enough to make a table for each of the "standard" gas mixes if you subscribe to them and laminate in your wetnotes. TruDive already has it, so unless you have something in particular you want to improve on from there, I'd say it's probably not worth the effort. Others may disagree, but I'm a huge fan of excel sheets that get printed and laminated.

don't take that as an insult or that it's a bad idea. The question is whether it is worth your time investment to make it. If you are going to make it for yourself anyway, then putting it up on the app store is probably worth it. To make it have broader appeal, you may also want to add in MoD of the mixes based on pO2 and pN2 which should be fairly easy since the information is already there, as well as a "best mix" function based on the same information. That way you are basically taking the nitrox/trimix calculators and adding a gas density output to them. That I would consider buying.

ccr mixer is already free (I use the free version) and calculates the EADD.(And MOD, and more)
It is not a really must have. Why? As you do deep dives over 120m, there comes a point where the END is still ok, but the EADD is getting higher. Take a good diluent for 135m, 6/72 (poor mans mix). The END is fine, the EADD is much higher. So more helium? I had already hpns at 132m, so for me the 6/72 is a nice gas for me for such dives

Last edited:
I'm just not sure what purpose or effect it would have on my diving. I find the effect of gas density on WOB to be hardly noticeable on any dives I have ever done.
The calculations are simple and any high school student could whip up an excel spreadsheet to calculate it. Why would anyone pay money? Of course there are divers buying all kinds of useless gadgets so who knows. Maybe the diving equivalent of the pet rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom