GAUGE READER MASK - HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read some of the previous threads and responded to one but would appreciate some feedback.

I read in one product review that you should get at least a +3.5 to read your gauges, assuming farsighted. I normally wear 2.00 to 2.50 "readers" depending if it's for a book or a computer screen. I don't know how being in the water changes all this.

I looked at ones on Amazon but it's hard to get in touch with the vendor to ask this question.

Icechip,

If you use 2.00 to read, is your mask the same???

Yes, I got the +2.0 diopters for the left and right lenses of the mask. No trouble reading my gauges.

I use +1.5 readers for the computer and +2.5 readers for reading documents (books, forms, paperwork).

So, when selecting a mask, I purchased a mask from Aqua Optics where the entire lens is ground to a +2.5 magnification. Actually, when I ordered it from my local scuba shop, I didn't know that's what I was getting. I will tell you that the first time you put on a mask where the entire lens is a magnifier, it will likely freak you out. You'll think that it will not work for you at all. But, under water, I can assure you it will be fine. And, over time, the magnification in air will bother you less (don't know if you ever get completely past it).

I also, purchased a standard mask from Sherwood (which looks identical to my Aqua Optics mask) and installed +2.5 reader lenses (Aqua Optics) at the bottom of the standard mask lens to use as a backup mask. Those work fine for reading gauges and you don't end up having a lot of money invested into a mask with a custom ground lens.

If you normally use a +2.0 or +2.5 for computer or book work, a +1.5 will work fine for reading gauges. You don't really need as strong a magnification as you'd normally use out of the water because you get some natural magnification from the water itself.

The best recommendations I can give are these:

1) If you decide to go with the small lenses that you glue to the bottom of the standard mask lens, go with the maximum magnification you normally use out of the water (but no more cause you don't need them). You may actually want to try these first to determine the minimum magnification you need to be able to read your gauges. Then, you can purchase a mask with a custom ground lens based on testing different glue-in lenses.
2) If you decide to go with a custom ground lens (i.e. the entire lens is a magnifier) like I did, no NOT go beyond what you'd normally use out of the water AND try to go with a lower magnification if you can get by with it. I say that because I can promise you it will bother you when you're wearing your mask on the surface (i.e. surface swims, water entries from a boat, getting back onto the boat after a dive).

Last edited:
I wear +1.5 to +2.0 readers on land - just depending on which pair of glasses I pick up. My SeaVision masks with their Gauge Reader lenses (+2.0) have been perfect for me.

Masks - SeaVisionUSA

I have the model 2100 in all 3 lens colors.

I wear +1.5 to +2.0 readers on land - just depending on which pair of glasses I pick up. My SeaVision masks with their Gauge Reader lenses (+2.0) have been perfect for me.

Masks - SeaVisionUSA

I have the model 2100 in all 3 lens colors.

How is their quality? In the past their masks felt "flimsy".

Back
Top Bottom