Gear care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wondering how people care for their stuff.

Was thinking my wetsuit would be ok laid on top of my BCD, regs etc when not in use (after drying).

I am a little worried about my wetsuit touching anything in storage. My suit got crushed in a few places where it came into contact with my regulator and BC on my dive gear rack.

If you look around on this site, you can find a DIY rack that will have a similar footprint to your bin. You are much better off if you can hang things.

I have a feeling, though don't know for sure, that this idea that refrigerators make ozone is a myth. They use AC induction motors and I doubt there is any sparking involved. Also modern cars are well sealed so I doubt there is much in the way of fumes from cars.

Correct about the fridge.

But car alternators and starters are brushed and make a ton of Ozone at startup. Both are well vented. I'd imagine cars with ERS motors and start/stop starters will be brushless.

the fumes from cars have nothing to do with how they're sealed, it's the alternator and starter as mentioned, and then exhaust gasses. Most people don't leave their garage doors open for very long and since there is no real air flow inside of a garage it just kind of sits there. Not a great place to store gear...

We have an attached garage, so if there were fumes in the garage they would permeate the whole house, but I never smell anything either in the garage or house. Of course I start the car with the garage door open and promptly drive out, and when returning I promptly shut the car off.

understand that most of the gasses in question are colorless and odorless, and that even in very small concentrations can be very harmful to gear, it will not permeate the house because the concentrations are low and you have an HVAC system circulating air in the house, that has no bearing on any amounts of ozone or anything else inside the garage. It's well documented for decades of dive gear use.

We have to agree to disagree. I've been storing my gear in the garage for years and not noticed any unusual wear. Both my drysuit and 7 mm wetsuit are hanging there with all the other scuba junk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom