Gear config, Long primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
FYI, the powerpoint for DIR-F is in the process of being changed. Currently, it shows a 6 minute ascent from 100ft and will be changed to a 9 minute ascent to include the profile I listed. If you stop and think about how the profiles work, you'll see that the one GUE has in the PPT presentations is wrong.
Soggy, when I did it with Brando, we calced 10' per minute ascent from transition point.

jjsteffen:
Soggy, when I did it with Brando, we calced 10' per minute ascent from transition point.

Sherwood told me they are in transition on how they are presenting Rock Bottom and this is how it was presented to me.

Even if you cut out some of the deep stop stuff, you still end up with not much gas for that dive.

Right... so back to the original topic....

If you're diving with someone that panics during an OOA and you fell it best to control them you can still do that with a 7' hose. There is nothing which says you need to donate the regulator then position yourself as far away as possible. However, you will still be diving the configuration you used to which makes it easier to swim around, do your stops, etc while sharing air.

As to why this would happen with a DIR diver (because they should only be diving with squared away people who won't panic), I'll offer this possible scenario. I have on several occasions found myself diving with new divers. Most of them don't have many dives logged and on one occasion the ink hadn't dried on his c-card. What would be the best thing to do with a diver like this? Tell them to take DIR-F and come back when they're squared away or make a carefully planned and non-taxing dive with them during which I have the opportunity to pass on what I consider to be good basic practices to an eager diver and help them from developing bad habits?

novadiver:
eather way 40 min at 100 feet with 32% o2 is still a deco dive , rock bottom or not this is still going to hurt! or does everyone think blowing off a deco stop is OK. I don't even want to think about a repetitive dive with only a short SI.
Unless that dive is to 20 for 1 hour ,that way the whole 2nd dive soggy will be off gassing from the first dive.
The only way this stuff works is to be properly trained and using a proper ascent rate in the first place. It will not work w/the status quo recreational ascent rates and schedules. Those of you using the 120 rule should know this from your DIRF class. There is a pause at 70'...not a stop per se'....the travel from 100' to 70' is :01...the travel from 70' to 40' is :01....from 40' to 30' is 30fpm....then do minimum deco stops.
All diving is deco diving...period. We approach our diving using simple rules based on understanding the deco curve and using a dual phase approach to deco and that is why we feel the 120 rule is acceptable to use (that is where we get the 100' on 32% for :40 "NDL"). If one feels it is too liberal, please and by all means, change it to a 110 rule...or a 100 rule...whatever floats your boat...that is completely up to the dive team/diver.
Certainly one can also approach diving schedules by blindly following the tables. It has been in place for years and is what is available to the diving public via the mainstream agencies. For those that wish to gain an understanding of the physiology and science behind the diving, there are better alternatives that can offer an education that will allow the diver to calculate the dive schedule in their head based on simple rules that have been found to work through understanding what is happening in the decompression phase of the dive. This tends to give the diver added flexibilty and competency during contingencies as they have the knowledge and ability to adapt to the situation w/o the need of tables and/or computers that tend to be overly conservative (as evidenced here), or build in a reliance that turns to complacency in most cases....knowledge is power. Knowing how to deco and how to recalc deco on the fly is a very empowering tool to the diver. Unfortunately, discussing it on the Net can't paint the whole picture and lends itself to ambiguity that will only frustrate those that may misinterpret due to, as I said earlier, the ambiguity of these forums.
dive safe!---brandon

Still...some folks just won't like using a 7 footer in open water and they should know that there are other ways to rig without one.

...and still better than the standard setup.

Stephen Ash:
Still...some folks just won't like using a 7 footer in open water and they should know that there are other ways to rig without one.

...and still better than the standard setup.

Are you referring to the 5' hose that has been mentioned? If so, why? While I have written about my problems with the 7' hose, being too long wasn't one of them. If you are going to use the long one, why go with only 5'? Again, seems like a decision between long or typical, why throw another intermediate length out there?

sorry

TheDivingPreacher:
Are you referring to the 5' hose that has been mentioned? If so, why? While I have written about my problems with the 7' hose, being too long wasn't one of them. If you are going to use the long one, why go with only 5'? Again, seems like a decision between long or typical, why throw another intermediate length out there?

sorry

IMO, a 5' hose is long enough for use in OW environments, but also doesn't require the use of a cannister light or tucking to be effective....it routes very nicely under your arm.

However, I agree, a 7' hose isn't difficult to manage, so you might as well go for the additional length.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom