Gear config, Long primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDivingPreacher:
Are you referring to the 5' hose that has been mentioned? If so, why? While I have written about my problems with the 7' hose, being too long wasn't one of them. If you are going to use the long one, why go with only 5'? Again, seems like a decision between long or typical, why throw another intermediate length out there?

sorry

because 5' gives you more room to work w/o the stowing problems of a 7'. because 5' used to be the standard until scooters became popular.

TheDivingPreacher:
Are you referring to the 5' hose that has been mentioned? If so, why? While I have written about my problems with the 7' hose, being too long wasn't one of them. If you are going to use the long one, why go with only 5'? Again, seems like a decision between long or typical, why throw another intermediate length out there?

sorry

No...I'm not talking about a 5 ft hose...don't see any use for one...tried it ...too short for me...maybe for someone smaller it might work???

I'm talking about a primary hose that is closer to a standard length octo hose...hmm...40...42...in.? and a bungied backup...like in the link that I posted earlier. The primary routes under the arm and the backup is under the chin. I don't know the exact lengths that are shown...seems like I remember the suggestion was to use a standard octo hose for the primary and a 22 or 24 for the backup. Maybe someone will help my feeble memory!

TheDivingPreacher:

sorry
Another option is to stow the extra lenth of the 7 foot hose by tucking it in the belt harness, so in an emergency the reg can be donated and the extra lenth can just be pulled from the harness without the need to free it from the light. and stowed right there will be no dangly! Now I hope this little tid bit doesn't start another flame war. So lets try to keep the responses pleasant!!

novadiver:
Another option is to stow the extra lenth of the 7 foot hose by tucking it in the belt harness, so in an emergency the reg can be donated and the extra lenth can just be pulled from the harness without the need to free it from the light. and stowed right there will be no dangly! Now I hope this little tid bit doesn't start another flame war. So lets try to keep the responses pleasant!!

You're right. If you have a cannister, I'd say stow it under the light since you have to do the big arm sweep to fully deploy the hose over your shoulder anyhow, but without a cannister, tucking it is A-OK.

Did we just agree on something?!

I'll take that back...I used to use a 5 ft hose when diving in a shortie. Seems like it was O.K. But now I've got 7's on all of my rigs and prefer it. Tucked under my waist belt it loops fine without a can light. Works comfortably for me whether I'm in a shortie or drysuit.

I would recommend using the 7 but the important point is not so much the length of the primary as it is the ability to donate the reg that's in your mouth while having a quality backup under your chin.

Soggy:
You're right. If you have a cannister, I'd say stow it under the light since you have to do the big arm sweep to fully deploy the hose over your shoulder anyhow, but without a cannister, tucking it is A-OK.

Did we just agree on something?!

I think we did . proper deployment in an OOA should be smooth.

dive safe nova:)

TheDivingPreacher:

sorry

To more specifically answer your question...

I think that the standard length primary hose is a bit too short to use like I'm describing...30 inches I think. But a standard octo hose is probably O.K. to use for your primary.

FreeFloat:
No? Hm. I thought in my DIR class we went over rock bottom limits for dives up to and including 100fsw.... in fact I believe we wrote Rule of Thumb limits into our Wetnotes....... JimC am I remembering wrong?

Granted, you sure wouldn't have much of a dive at 100' before you reached turn pressure and began the ascent - but that's not to say it couldn't be done...........

I've done it quite a bit before I got my own tanks. With a 0.75 SAC you get around 15 mins at 100 fsw.

Soggy:
How do you route it so there isn't a big huge loop next to your head just waiting to catch on some unsuspecting fishing line?

Under the arm.

That's George's open water rig in the pic, BTW.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom