Gear Purchase on Ebay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did get burned on a set of regulators. Person had great feedback, but hadn't sold anything for a year or so. I complained to ebay because of no replies and turns out they banned him, though they never responded to me as to why. Other than that ebay has been positive.

I've found better lick and better prices buying stuff off board members here on Scubaboard, and on The Deco Stop. Both seem to offer better prices, and I've never had a problem.

The only downside is there aren't as many folks selling on the boards as there are on Ebay, so you have to be patient and check back frequently.

I agree. You're not as likely to get a killer deal and not as likely to get taken for a ride on the forums. Both parties are more knowledgable and likely active divers, so you're more likely to get a straight up deal at a fair price to both sides.

One more note on ebay, while exceptions may apply I generally try to buy from sellers who I believe are active divers or at least were once active divers. They have a better understanding of which flaws are critical and which are cosmetic, and understand the potential consequences of gear failure at depth. I try to avoid merchandise movers like consignment stores and pawnshops. Sometimes you can tell from the auction ad or their other auction ads, and sometimes you have to ask.

Craigs seems to be buyers and sellers out to fleece the other.

Over the past few months, I have bought a number of Oceanic Omega II regulators from various sellers on eBay. All of the transactions have been satisfactory. I now have enough regulatos to last a couple of lifetimes.

I don't think I would buy a used BC this way because it might have internal problems that just can't be fixed. How odd, I don't mind used regulators when I know I will send them out for rebuild but I am concerned about the internals of a BC.

I have also bought some tank manifolds and tank valves with complete satisfaction.

So, yes, I would buy used stuff on eBay.

Richard

I'm wondering about others experience buying used gear on Ebay.
Another way to ask: Have you gotten rid of gear on Ebay that was, let's say, questionable in it's ability to function? Or did it just not suit you but was still reliable / safe to use?

I'm considering shopping for a computer there.

Thanks for your input.

I sold scuba gear on Ebay, and in every case it was good, safe stuff that I just don't use or does not fit me. If I have something in bad shape or not safe I would just throw it out.

Adam

I sell a lot on eBay (not scuba gear but general)

but when it comes to Scuba gear (and a computer at that)- I would look here first- much more educated audience and personal- BTW eBay is expensive to sell on, the better deal would be direct-seller would pay less fees and hopefully give you a better deal. good luck-

I have bought a lot of scuba gear on ebay, I have not yet (knock on wood), been burned. I gotten one item not quite a nice as I thought, but my fault as I didn't look close enough to the pictures. for the most part what I have recieved has been better than the pictures can show. But I always check out the sellers rating and feed back.
I have bought; BC, several regulators(primarily vintage), guages, tanks and wetsuits (several as you probably know manufacturers are all different as to sizes). the beauty of the system, what doesn't suit you can be reposted. Good pictures and adequate description can quite often even turn a profit.

I have never purchased a scuba lemon on ebay, or any other items. All regulators purchased were in fine working order even though I had them looked at after the fact. A dive computer I haven't ever purchased there, that maybe a little tricky since they cannot be rebuilt if they don't work.

Good luck in your search.

I have purchased on ebay for several years. Only one time did I have a problem. It was by a big reseller. They picked the wrong item off the shelf to ship. The refused to pay the return shipping to straighten their mistake out. I kept the item and bought the right item from another individual. Turns out the item the first outfit shipped was worth 5 times what I paid for it.

I recently bought a ScubaPro Mk25, S600, S295 with an Aladin Prime computer for $500. I took the set up to my LDS and had the regulators kitted.

I've only gotten a BC on ebay. It was a Cressi Sub aqualight and it's great! Got it for a very good price. The only drawback was the way it was shipped. From Hawaii by USPS. It took 4 weeks and a day. The entire time the seller was very helpfull and reassuring that it would get to me and be in good shape. It was and Ive used it on 3 dives with no problems.

The only drawback was the way it was shipped. From Hawaii by USPS. It took 4 weeks and a day.

That was by Parcel Post or due to an unusual problem, I would guess.

Some sellers and buyers don't know that Parcel Post shipping times have lengthened greatly in the past year.

To increase efficiency in the wake of increasing fuel costs, for non-Priority shipping, the USPS presently delays a truck or plane's departure until it is fully loaded.

Priority Mail is still extremely fast (2-3 days, as advertised).

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom