Gear Transport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I am currently looking for an elegant, useful way to transport my gear from home to the boat, shore, etc. I have noticed akona gear bags, and they all look nice, but I am having a really hard time deciding what I will need, and what will work best.

I am looking for something that will basically carry a full set of gear buit around a bp/w with fins, can light, and other misc equipment lik spools, wreck reels, smbs, mask, backup lights, and other extra parts.

I would like to hear some suggestions from other SBers and possibly alternative solutions to the std purchasable gear bag.

Thanks!
-ddd

If you drive to/from your dive sites, you can buy a good size plastic bin from Home D. Easy to pack and keeps the car dry when you head home. Also a good place to soak your gear. Best thing: they're cheap :)

For travel purposes I bought a Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler rolling duffle. Super well built, lifetime warranty from a company that actually means it. Internal and external compression straps keeps the gear from shifting *and* protects the main compartment zippers from strain. Plenty of room for a set of gear ... less drysuit. And it weighs < 10 lbs which is good for air travel. I looked at other "light" travel bags, and none were as well made and thought out (to me at least) as the Stahlsac.

Henrik

So maybe a 3 Gallon rubbermaid roughneck would work for the smaller waterproof container?

I bought the largest "airline ok" suitcase with wheels and handle for trips, holds everything easily and does not cry out "steal me I am full of scuba gear". It was only $40 but has survived well so far.

So maybe a 3 Gallon rubbermaid roughneck would work for the smaller waterproof container?

3 gallons doesn't sound like much. What were you planning to put in it?

I bought a couple of these at Home D:

Best Plastics 27 Gallon Strong Box Tote - BP200827 at The Home Depot

So far I've only used them for gear storage at home, but I'll bring at least one of them on a road trip to NC next week. I figure I can pack: fins, reels/spools, SMBs, wetsuite & booties, masks, regs, lights and a backplate & wing in just one. They're quite sturdy - don't stand on them though - and stackable.

There are bigger and stronger bins with more storage, wheels and extendable handles, which would probably work well if you have a truck or SUV, but these seem to strike a good balance for me.

Henrik

I like the idea of a rubber tote to keep in the car. From the car to the boat a simple mesh duffle bag will work. I try to remember that others will be on the boat besides me, so I got something that will store away under the seat.

That is great thinking...in Mar 2009 in Cozumel. One morning, half a dozen people showed up on the boat with their big suitcases and only started dressing up when we were under way. We had to slalow through these suitcases to get to and from the boat transom....very interesting indeed. And they saw nothing wrong despite the look they got from everybody else.

In my vehicle...Rubbermaid container and mesh carrying bag
on airplane...diving suitcase
on charter boats...mesh carrying bag only

I use these Stanley Boxes. One little one for my wife and a bigger one for me.
DSC00003_Small_.JPG

Nice set-up....Out of curiosity what do you use the ones standing up in the corner for????:wink:...just kidding

Back
Top Bottom