Question Gear Travel Bag Option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ScubaJoy65

ScubaJoy65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Both of our scuba travel bags that we've flown with many times are officially worn out.

While buying new travel bags is an option, we are also exploring alternatives.

We both own sturdy ScubaPro roller mesh bags and love them.

Instead of buying new scuba travel bags, would it work for us to put our gear inside a canvas bag and put that inside the mesh bag with a lock on it?

Thoughts?

If we're talking about a checked bag I really like my Eagle Creek. The idea that I have a No Matter What return policy is amazing to me. With that in mind, I don't want to have to go through the hassle of getting it repaired or replaced someday, so in the places it is starting to wear thin I just keep applying a new layer of masking tape. I now have silver, red and white on it! But someday I will have to see how that No Matter What warranty really works. :(

My carry-on is both wheeled (2) and has backpack straps too. I put all of my dive gear (SP Hydros Pro size M in it's backpack [for use between living accomadations and dive shop], Akona Reg bag with Deep 6 regs and Excursion DC, rash guards (2), swim trunks, couple of lights & chargers/batteries, misc. other "stuff"). It's tight! Osprey Sojourn 45L/22", prices have gone a little mad though. When I bought mine a few years back it was $200, just checked and it's now showing $350!!

Not fully up to date, but you can see there are some carry-on weight limits

1676383953536.png

I have been using dive gear bags from Stahlsac and Scubapro for the last several decades now without any issues. I used Pelican cases for camera equipment also. Few years ago I started to have the checked bags wrapped in the "cling" type of plastic cover service they offer in airports to cover the checked in luggage. This cover helped protect the bags from potential scuffs and made it a little more secure and difficult/inconvenient for somebody to try to open them, to keep the honest people honest of sorts. I also used the smaller carry on bags from same manufacturers to take camera equipment with me in the cabin.

Not fully up to date, but you can see there are some carry-on weight limits
Thanks. That could be useful. The next question would be which of those airlines actually enforce their published carry-on weight limits.

I thought international flights to warm water with fish was not interesting to you.

They aren’t. I was just pointing out the carry-on weight limit thing as one poster seemed to be promoting carry-on as a one fits all solution.

Thanks. That could be useful. The next question would be which of those airlines actually enforce their published carry-on weight limits.
I've seen American make people take things out of their checked bag to bring it under 50 pounds - a couple of times. The carry-on limit of 2 items is always a 'wait and see what the gate personnel are doing' thing. They use their 'discretion' and you gotta hope nobody ticked them off on the way in for their shift! I had a bag that didn't fit the little box by the door by 1/8" and had to gatecheck (after I pulled out my dive gear). But I've seen people take on a wheelie, a huge backpack AND another bag of some sort. You roll the dice. That's why I got a smaller wheelie and carry a small backpack now. The less, the better.

I've seen American make people take things out of their checked bag to bring it under 50 pounds - a couple of times. The carry-on limit of 2 items is always a 'wait and see what the gate personnel are doing' thing. They use their 'discretion' and you gotta hope nobody ticked them off on the way in for their shift! I had a bag that didn't fit the little box by the door by 1/8" and had to gatecheck (after I pulled out my dive gear). But I've seen people take on a wheelie, a huge backpack AND another bag of some sort. You roll the dice. That's why I got a smaller wheelie and carry a small backpack now. The less, the better.
Size of carry-on and number of carry-ons and "personal items" are often scrutinized, but carry-on weight? I only vaguely recall having my carry-on weighed when traveling once on a regional Asian airline, and I don't even recall which one. The list of airlines that have carry-on weight limits includes surprises (to me) such as Air France and KLM. Maybe on some route using small aircraft? I have never had a carry-on bag weighed on one of their transatlantic routes.

Size of carry-on and number of carry-ons and "personal items" are often scrutinized, but carry-on weight?
No - not weight. Just number of items. I was just adding that because I thought of it. :shakehead: I've also only heard of carry-on stuff being weight restricted on regional flights.

Size of carry-on and number of carry-ons and "personal items" are often scrutinized, but carry-on weight? I only vaguely recall having my carry-on weighed when traveling once on a regional Asian airline, and I don't even recall which one. The list of airlines that have carry-on weight limits includes surprises (to me) such as Air France and KLM. Maybe on some route using small aircraft? I have never had a carry-on bag weighed on one of their transatlantic routes.
Flying Cathay Business a few years ago out of Jakarta (of all places?!) I had to pull items out of carry-on and put in checked because of carry-on weight limits. Never had that happen any other time.

I can tell you that with connecting flights in Mexico city, you will get your carryon and backpack weighed on Volaris and Viva Aerobus. While flying out of Cabo and out of Tijuana, I didn't get checked. So I think the weighing is based not only on airline but also airport. Spirit and Frontier will also make sure you conform if you go with them anywhere. I have never had a backpack or carryon weighed on the Big Airlines in the US.

Back
Top Bottom