Question Gear Travel Bag Option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ScubaJoy65

ScubaJoy65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Both of our scuba travel bags that we've flown with many times are officially worn out.

While buying new travel bags is an option, we are also exploring alternatives.

We both own sturdy ScubaPro roller mesh bags and love them.

Instead of buying new scuba travel bags, would it work for us to put our gear inside a canvas bag and put that inside the mesh bag with a lock on it?

Thoughts?

Another option is to pack your dive gear into a carry on (e.g. roller suitcase that goes in the overhead compartment) and personal item (backpack with fins strapped to the outside) then check your regular clothes in a standard suitcase. No need to worry about the 50lb weight limit for checked baggage (unless you pack _a lot_ of personal clothes) and you can make sure your dive gear doesn't get damaged or lost by the airline. That's what I do and it seems to work well. I'm able to fit my wetsuit, boots, BPW, regs, fins, SAD kit, DSMB, 2 masks, 2 dive computers, O2 and CO analyzers, 2 lights, and mesh bag backpack for carrying everything to the dive boat between the 2 carry on bags.
Added advantage to dive gear in carry-on is you know your gear will always be with you, not lost in transit, badly handled, etc. I'd rather have to shop for a few clothes, because of a misrouted/lost suitcase than risk losing dive gear.

Another option is to pack your dive gear into a carry on (e.g. roller suitcase that goes in the overhead compartment) and personal item (backpack with fins strapped to the outside) then check your regular clothes in a standard suitcase. No need to worry about the 50lb weight limit for checked baggage (unless you pack _a lot_ of personal clothes) and you can make sure your dive gear doesn't get damaged or lost by the airline. That's what I do and it seems to work well. I'm able to fit my wetsuit, boots, BPW, regs, fins, SAD kit, DSMB, 2 masks, 2 dive computers, O2 and CO analyzers, 2 lights, and mesh bag backpack for carrying everything to the dive boat between the 2 carry on bags.
Don’t some international airlines have carryon weight limits? I swear I’ve read that here.

Don’t some international airlines have carryon weight limits? I swear I’ve read that here.
I have had a carry-on weighed at least once. Yes, there are airlines in various places in the world that enforce carry-on weight and size limits.

Carry-on limit is 7kgs for all flights to APAC and 5 kgs for the smaller ATR turboprop planes, in this part of the world.

I got a pelican style case for travel, that I later found weighs 9.2kgs, then decided to use my Samsonite hardcase without zipper (slightly more theftproof) for Scuba gear - it weighs less than half that at 4.2 kgs (and cost me 1/2 the Pelican style case) and I now save almost $50 per single-leg flight one way. The pelican is relegated to static storage utility below a bed. I carry my clothing in a small duffel bag now which entails an additional fee for 2nd checked item on many routes. But at least my scuba gear is safe from hard knocks and compression to a degree.

I am amazed that people use soft duffel bags to check-in scuba gear that may be typically worth more than $2000.

As a side Note - As per Airlines T&C in this part of the world (and ratified by my country’s government) , I am entitled to an amount less than 50$ if a checked baggage is lost.

Attachments

• 12770AD5-5150-48DE-BE3A-86F5E295EEF1.jpeg
    12770AD5-5150-48DE-BE3A-86F5E295EEF1.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 46
They do, officially. However, I've seen these limits fully enforced only by Air France. Turkish Airlines also do but they only check suitcases. If you have a backpack, they do not care. Batak, Fiji, Qatar and Australia had no enforcement at all.

Who said that scuba gear must be packed in special scuba gear bags designed exclusively for scuba gear? Just take your digital scales with a hook to Macy's or JCPenney and pick up the lightest spinner you'll find, preferably long and narrow in shape to fit fins. I got mine by Nautica long time ago and it still works, though patched couple times.

Yes most non-US carriers have smaller weight and size limits on carry on. Different places and airlines (and even agents) will enforce different things. (Was definitely an issue when we were in Australia.) Also some places you will be taking small planes that you can’t carry on much.

So while you might be able to get away with a big heavy carryon some places, its not something you can always count on. Personally I am not worried about checked bags getting lost, it is not the problem some people seem to think. Perhaps it was in the past. Never had any damage, pack sensibly.

You simply can’t take a one size fits all approach. But checking a bag, and taking reasonable and within limits stuff on board, pretty much always works with a bit of tweaking for the airline and destination.

My wife and I have matching versions of this bag.

It has a top and bottom compartment.

It will fit an entire dive rig, from wet suit to fins.

BCD, padded regulator bag and wet suit in the top, fins, booties and mesh bags in the bottom.

Only thing we carry on is masks, computers and camera.

At one point, I put all my gear in a carry on sized two wheeled suitcase with the rest in a small duffle. I ended up carrying the duffle on my back. I got tired of that after a while after having to go thru some really long airports. Now I have a small personal sized four wheel roller and the backpack which I attach to the small roller when going thru the airport. So now, the only time I have to carry anything on my back is going thru the gate.

The best thing about the four wheel luggage is that you can easily push it down the aisle sideways.

Here is a video on the backpack / duffle bag

I
I thought international flights to warm water with fish was not interesting to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom