Question Gear Travel Bag Option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ScubaJoy65

ScubaJoy65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Both of our scuba travel bags that we've flown with many times are officially worn out.

While buying new travel bags is an option, we are also exploring alternatives.

We both own sturdy ScubaPro roller mesh bags and love them.

Instead of buying new scuba travel bags, would it work for us to put our gear inside a canvas bag and put that inside the mesh bag with a lock on it?

Thoughts?

Both of our scuba travel bags that we've flown with many times are officially worn out.

Instead of buying new scuba travel bags, would it work for us to put our gear inside a canvas bag and put that inside the mesh bag with a lock on it?

Thoughts?

I would be surprised if any mesh bags would stand up to the rough and tumble checked bags go through. I would just get new duffles. I have an REI wheeled duffle that worked well on a recent trip. It was recommended by a friend that travels for diving a lot.

I got fed up with gear damage from the airlines when using a SCUBA gear bag. I switched to a Pelican case. The last item in the case is a simple mesh duffel bag (with a nice dive manufacturer's logo). The Pelican stays on the shore, and I use the mesh bag between lodging and boat. Yes, I end up paying airline excess luggage fees, but it's well worth ensuring the gear arrives in one piece. Second advantage -- The Pelican case is also good in a pickup bed or SUV roof rack.

Many gear duffles including scuba specific gear bags only have two wheels. We went thru that stage, but are now at this point. The video is about technical gear, but the same concept applies. The away polycarbonate bags have a lifetime warranty. We have not had to use that so we don't know who well it works. However, I was in the store when someone had an issue and they resolved the problem immediately.

Stahlsac dive bags have a limited lifetime warranty and they don't have scuba plastered all over the outside to deter thieves..

I have the Jamaican Smuggler but it's discontinued but the online scuba stores still have some. I didn't think everything would fit in it when it arrived but there is room to spare.

I like the idea of not using dive branded gear. The Eagle Creek stuff is good, but my preference is Osprey. A real lifetime warranty, top notch designs. Their gear just works well and is backed by good customer service with a no questions asked policy. Cheap? No, but it's not boutique brand pricing either, nor influencer priced. People who operate in the outdoors rely on Osprey a lot, and for good reason. I don't mind pay more for it if it's going to work well and last, without having to worry about the wear and tear of baggage handlers etc.

Thoughts?

We have these. They've held up very well to international travel.

Another option is to pack your dive gear into a carry on (e.g. roller suitcase that goes in the overhead compartment) and personal item (backpack with fins strapped to the outside) then check your regular clothes in a standard suitcase. No need to worry about the 50lb weight limit for checked baggage (unless you pack _a lot_ of personal clothes) and you can make sure your dive gear doesn't get damaged or lost by the airline. That's what I do and it seems to work well. I'm able to fit my wetsuit, boots, BPW, regs, fins, SAD kit, DSMB, 2 masks, 2 dive computers, O2 and CO analyzers, 2 lights, and mesh bag backpack for carrying everything to the dive boat between the 2 carry on bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom