General gauge/compass advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingvisit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm trying to put together my first regulator set, and really want to get the reg and gauge/compass altogether.
As I have a dive computer (wrist mounted) I'm thinking about going for non-computer gauges/console. Less to go wrong in my mind...
My questions -
So far, I've used a console that contains either all 3 - compass, pressure, depth, or 2 pressure/depth. I see it is possible to have single gauges, but then how does this work in terms of set up/streamlining etc?? Wouldn't a console with all 3 be better?
Are any particular brands better than others when it comes to pressure/depth gauges?
I've seen brass gauges (such as Halcyon) recommended, but they are all single gauges??
Are pressure gauges simply bar or psi? Do any come in both? Same with depth? Only m or ft, not both?

Theres normally an overload of information concerning things (I've read so many threads on BCD v BP/W and which is the best reg, but I don't see as much regarding consoles/gauges - just a lot on dive computers. Am I overcomplicating things?

So far, I've used a console that contains either all 3 - compass, pressure, depth, or 2 pressure/depth. I see it is possible to have single gauges, but then how does this work in terms of set up/streamlining etc??
It is not at all uncommon to see divers using ONLY a SPG - IOW a single gauge - and reading depth from their wrist-mounted computer and foregoing the compass altogether, or using a separate, wrist-mounted compass (or even a compass on a retractor, clipped to their BCD). It is fairly stremlined to use a single gauge with a wrist-mounted computer.
Wouldn't a console with all 3 be better?
The answer really depends on what you want. I personally prefer having as much information on my wrist as possible - it is easier to access (simply rotate my wrist slightly) than unclipping a console. If I am diving with a buddy, using a single gauge 'console', and my wrist-mounted computer / depth gauge fails, I don't consider it a dive terminating event - in that case I have no problem using my buddy for depth information, although I generally know in advance the depth of the dive, and I can estimate depth for my safety stop, etc. I have even had a computer fail during deco, and did the same - used my buddy for depth information for our stops, and completed my deco off my written tables. Not a problem. For me, pressure is the critical issue, and a single (SPG) gauge approach is fine.
Are any particular brands better than others when it comes to pressure/depth gauges?
I have an older Mares SPG that works, but reads 300 PSI when the tank is at ambient. Not a problem as long as I remember that the pressure reading is slightly higher than what I actually have. I have had an OMS and a XS Scuba SPG fail in the past, and still have SPGs of both brands on my equipment. I really don't see a lot of difference in quality, at least not enough to recommned one brand over another.
I've seen brass gauges (such as Halcyon) recommended, but they are all single gauges??
Yes. And that is a very good approach. Simple, reliable.
Are pressure gauges simply bar or psi?
Yes.
Do any come in both? Same with depth? Only m or ft, not both?
I have seen both pressure and depth gauges in either / or. I have not seen a dual calibrated gauge for pressure. That doesn't mean they don't exist, only that I have never seen one. Certainly, most computers can be set for either feet or meters.
Am I overcomplicating things?
Possibly to a certain extent. I have an OW single tank regulator with a 3 gauge console. Works fine. I attached a bolt snap to the head of the case so I can clip it off to my waist, and unclip it when I want to read it, rather than using one of the plastic hose clips that allow the hose itself to slide around. I also have a two gauge console (also bolt-snapped), and a wrist-mounted compass. Finally, I have several regs with a single gauge (SPG), in which case I use my wrist-mounted computer for depth. They all function equally well. I prefer the simpler (single gauge) approach but it really isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
On our first rigs we started with IDI 3-guage mini-consoles......

It was small, worked OK.......we found the compass harder to use...it was back mounted and it seemed that the HP hose preventing holding the compass optimally....

Now if you just looked at the compass for general direction then it was OK but to navigate was an issue....at least for us.....

We started buying computers and now all of us have wrist mounted computers.....

My son and I now use simple pressure gauges, daughter uses a Cressi 2 gauge min-consol as she was the last to get her own computer and wife still has her original 3 gauge consol but only uses it for air pressure.....

I have a wrist mounted compass, but made it into a “generic” retractor mount, by cutting the tie wraps I can go back to wrist mount......

I am really the only one who uses a compass, and don't take it with me on every dive....

I have the advantage that all our computers are the same....so when I dive with my dive club I can carry two computers, so I have a back-up depth gauge and timer....

Hope this helps......M

OMS does make an SPG with psi and bar, I have one. Works great if sometimes you dive overseas with buddies who work in bar and don't enjoy converting back and forth.

Over the years I have have had the giant all-in-one console, the mini console and a single SPG. I enjoy the single SPG since it is small and when rigged as I like it (on a relatively short hoes with a bolt snap) I can just glance down and see it (no hands). Since my computer and compass are on my wrist, no movement is needed to see these. The down side is when I slip in and out of my gear, sometimes I snag the compass and computer on my wrist.

The big all-in-one approach requires a distinct movement to bring it up to eye level, but once there everything is in one place. As long as you don't let it dangle and smash into the reef, it is not bad. In the end, it is really a personal preference.

Thanks for the heads up on that OMS gauge - I travel between US and UK and need to dive with "insta buddies" in both locations (and wherever else I go). I know I should be able to switch between both, or just stick to one...but personally I want to be able to quickly see what my gas is and communicate it to another diver (US or UK dive buddy) without having to think about what it is.

Another stupid question time - are gauges mostly set sizes or do all companies differ. I wonder whether I can get a console boot for that OMS gauge and fit a backup depth gague to it too (it only seems to come in a single boot)?

Thanks again for the replies!

I have seen the pis/bar gauges in 2 sizes. I use the large one (old eyes) which will not fit a console. I am not sure about the small one. There used to be a more or less standard size, now it is less so. Personally, I do not use a boot, the gauge is heavy brass, it can take a beating.

Another stupid question time - are gauges mostly set sizes or do all companies differ.
These are NOT AT ALL stupid questions. You are asking things which at least a few other divers probably might like to ask, or wonder about, but may be reluctant to post.

You will see 2 principal sizes of gauges - this is not exclusive, and there are others, but this is what you will see the most of. First, is a larger gauge, the outside diameter is about 2.35", but the face is 2". This is what you see in many 2/3 gauge consoles. You also see these attached to a HP hose as a single gauge.

The second, referred to by some as a 'Compact' or 'Small' or 'Mini' gauge, has an outside diameter of approximately 2", and a face diameter of approximately 1.7". I have a Suunto 2 gauge console, with a small SPG in it, and I have several deco regs where these are attached, without a boot, as a single gauge. If you can easily read the smaller gauge, it is a reasonable approach.
I wonder whether I can get a console boot for that OMS gauge and fit a backup depth gauge to it too (it only seems to come in a single boot)?
I have not tried that (GoG mentioned he has one, and may have better advice), but a console boot with two large openings should accomodate both the OMS dual scale SPG, and a depth gauge.

Back
Top Bottom