General information request for Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Idoc, good choice on All West. My wife and I stayed there both times to Curacao. Be sure to read the post about grocery stores on Curacao before heading out, lots of good information there. You only want to make infrequent trips to the store as they are rather far away. The BBQ grills at All West are a great gathering spot in the evenings. We found that the best place to find charcoal was at the California Market. It is all the way in the back against the wall near the floor. It is locally made charcoal and burns well; long and hot. We had to ask a few people about it before we finally found it. Most of the help there didn't speak any english and when we asked about charcoal they sort of shook their heads and said they didn't have it. We were able to find fresh fish (sorry anti-fish-eating people) at stands along the road in the early afternoon. They were at the turn right before the Costco style store. Nice fresh snapper at a good price.:ppd:

Our favorite shore dive this trip was Lagun. A long swim out, but well worth it. We always went left and were never dissapointed. Look for a couple of teathered soft drink bottles at 35 feet to mark your turn back into the lagoon. It is a narrow enough area that you won't want to miss the turn. There were usually a couple of turtles in the shallows to make the swim in interesting. Also saw a large octopus on the bottom at about 18 feet.
octopus34.jpg

You can view a few more of my photos from that trip on my photo page here on SB, click on the number after the word photos under my avatar and the first 8 or so are from that trip.:worthless:

Have fun and dive safe!!!! BK

Hey Idoc, good choice on All West. My wife and I stayed there both times to Curacao. Be sure to read the post about grocery stores on Curacao before heading out, lots of good information there.

Our favorite shore dive this trip was Lagun. A long swim out, but well worth it. We always went left and were never dissapointed. Look for a couple of teathered soft drink bottles at 35 feet to mark your turn back into the lagoon.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I heard about the grocery stores, I understand that All West meets you at the airport and brings you to the rental and then they suggest you stock up at the market on the way to the Apartments.

Lagun is on my must do list after reading about it extensively here on ScubaBoard and elsewhere, thanks for the diving site tips.

I'll look for charcoal on the back wall...

Just keep in mind that you will probably want to get groceries and will therefore want to have a grocery store trip planned. The only close restaurants are Sol Food, Jaanchies, Rancho Sobrino and the Kura Hulanda Lodge restaurants (including the convenient lunch spot next to OEW).

Well, there is one other one whose name escapes me, but no one eats there...

Just keep in mind that you will probably want to get groceries and will therefore want to have a grocery store trip planned. The only close restaurants are Sol Food, Jaanchies, Rancho Sobrino and the Kura Hulanda Lodge restaurants (including the convenient lunch spot next to OEW).

Well, there is one other one whose name escapes me, but no one eats there...

Someone's gotta eat there or else they'd be out of business!

We have a new restaurant in town, Landhuis Mistje. Driving into town it is a cute little landhuis on the right as you come down the hill by the antennae. Gracie serves upscale local fare on Wednesday through Sunday. She's open noon to 10PM.
Someone lives at the restaurant at Playa Forti. I don't think they need to be busy to stay open. We've never eaten there.
Steve, send me your email and I'll send you my notes on the area. If you don't see it, please check your spam or junk folders. US servers often won't accept our foreign mail.
John since they are open on Wednesday and Thursday, we can join you one night. And yes..... chicken pot pies for the weekend. It's on the calendar.
Nice octo, BK!

Can someone update me on Playa Kalki Diveshop? Back in 2003 it was owned by Allwest but was not operational. What's going on there now?

Yeah, Playa Forti, of course...

"Someone's gotta eat there or else they'd be out of business!"

It looks like it should have a wonderful view, but there must be some reason I never hear of anyone eating there... If you go and it is good, post something here. If you go and and get sick, post something here.

Sunshine...you are on for the Landhuis and I'll pass the word on the pot pies.

Can someone update me on Playa Kalki Diveshop? Back in 2003 it was owned by Allwest but was not operational. What's going on there now?

Ocean Encounters West is there now. No worries!

Thanks! And what is their relationship with Allwest? If we stay in Allwest will OEW allow us to dive with Allwest tanks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom