General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have made some assumptions here that aren't correct.
Rob,

Can you give any insight as to when the line was broke, and where? I really assumed it was broke during the recovery efforts after reading Marson's statement.

According to the information on youtube the video was shot on 7-31-2010 so you are looking at only two to three weeks of diving to improve skills. I dare say that there was not a whole lot of improvement in that little of time. Also, it does not appear that he was diving with any other SM or cave divers during this time to critique/assist him. I believe the video probably pretty much shows him as he was when he went in to Vortex the last time.

Also, I personally do not think it should be out of the question for SSI to discuss the situation with the person doing his divecon and reiterate that they are under no obligation to teach anyone that they do not think has the right attitude. Skills can be worked on but attitude is much harder to change. As a divecon instructor I take personal responsibility for everyone that the divecon teaches because if I do not make the right choices with the candidate the situation will just cascade as time goes on.

He took a SM course, so maybe skills improved after that. Wish we knew the instructor so we could ask them (and also know if it was an instructor who has experience in SM or a PADI 2 day wonder), I think you could be onto something.

He was in SM during that video and I could be mistaken but I believe the course was completed prior to the date on that video (July 31).

Also, I have confidence that the instructor who taught the course was competent and that his instruction is not an issue here.

Well, I've been here 'bout as long as anyone. Of those still posting I think only Walter pre-dates me...
He predates me by four months! :D

Took that all wrong there. What I was doing was asking because I don't know:idk: didn't say you didn't know because i have no idea who you are either!.... Nothing should have hit a nerve with anyone at all, why did you have a meltdown over a question?? Agenda? LOL if I had one I would have a plan.
I have not been asked anything that I would be uncomfortable with answering, just did not feel that anything was asked that needed my answer. as far as who I am...why would that matter who I am? Yes I am new to POSTING on this board and I do not need to share my reasons why. And FYI, I am new to posting but you would have no idea how long I may have been around just reading and learning what I can.
There are no stupid questions except the ones you do not ask!

You joined August 28th, 2010. This is the first time you have felt compelled to say anything, anywhere. Your questions are those of a person with no diving knowledge. You haven't learned much. I have read all of every thread about this. I have not posted much because what I have to say is has usually been stated by the time my timezone rolls around. Your posts have been odd , to say the least, and off base, for the most part. Also, you have been frequently argumentative. It makes one curious.

On another note....
Anyone know of a good cavern course and instructor in Colorado?

Last edited:
He was in SM during that video and I could be mistaken but I believe the course was completed prior to the date on that video (July 31).
I must have missed that. It does look like he's not terrible in the water during the video, so it looks like the class did help.

On another note....

There aren't any caverns in Colorado, at least not where training can occur. You'll have to come to Florida or go to Mexico for cavern training.

...I'll be surprised if he's found back there beyond the reach of those who have already searched.
+1
Rick

On another note....
My next cavern course starts with academic & pool work 4 OCT in Montgomery, AL with dives in LA (Lower Alabama/North Florida) 9 & 10 OCT...
Come on down :)
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom