Genesis Recon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taltoz

Registered
Reaction score
What are your experiences/opinions on the Genesis Recon BC. I am not looking to purchase any time soon just looking around and wanted some opinions. Thanks,

Taltoz

I purchased one last year and it does a fine job for me. I dont have a lot of experience with a lot of different BC but I like this one. The only thing I dont like about the bc is the weight intergation pockets. Thats all they are good for. I dont use weights execpt for 2 pounds in trim weights because of a heavy steel tank. But I sure could use some pockets for goodies I find. The one in the center front is good but drags the bottom if left open. Also there was a recall on ones last year about a leaky pressure valve. I haven't had a problem yet with it. I also like the way you adjust the fit with SS screws, I also like all those D rings, 75lbs of lift, and double tank straps. The more I use it the more I seem to like it. execpt for those lack of pockets.

Thanks swamprat. I saw the recall but you would think that if you purchased a new one they would have the fixed valve (I would double check the serial numbers anyway...). Again thanks,

Taltoz

no experience with it myself but here are my comments:

1) the name "Recon" and manly-man model wearing it imply
"this is tech" ...

if it is tech you want then buy a backplate and wing.
the BP/wing is THE MOST STABLE platform for carrying
doubles and a "plethora" of gear. Yeah, I know, no
pockets: big deal, that is why I carry a "goody bag".

2) if you are NOT interested in Tech and simply want a
BC with usable pockets and weight-integration, find one
that suits your requirements for what is likely less $
than the "Recon"

3) 75 pounds of lift? cripes, NO ONE needs that amount
of lift unless over-weighted (even the most intense
wreck/tech divers carry double 104s and two stages
with cannister lights and scooters use less than 75)

Green_Man,
You busted me, I got it because I figured if the fish read Recon on the font they would know I was on a Manly Man mission for sushi. But really I trying to make up for my lack of manliness.
I don't believe I would want to dive tech because, well it just dont look that fun to me and thats what I'm into. So what other back infation BC would be better for the $350 I payed? When I bought mine it was the best for the buck.
and last but not least. I dive rivers mainly, Manly rivers that is, I dont know if I need 75lbs of lift but The record catfish is 109lbs in the area I spearfish. So you might be right, I might not need 75lbs of lift but its nice to know its there, for when I'm feeling not so manly and one more bonus to the 75lbs lift when I inflate that puppy it keeps my head well above the waves.
I really dont understand your gripe with the BC especially if you never dove with it or know someone with one. Oh if they would have named it ranger or scout I would have still bought it.

man, you "iz KRAZY" spearing a fish that large ;-)

i'll not deny that 75 pounds of lift will keep you well
out of the water but you are paying "a price" for that
lift and it's called a larger profile.

as for $350: shop around and you can hook a BP/wing
for about that price. in addition you can mix and match
to fit your dive plan.

dive safe and never point that spear at anything you do not
want to kill or destroy.

A couple of weeks ago I came up on this tail that looked to be 12 inches from top to bottm. Shooting that fish didnt even cross my mind. I would have been water skiing behind it. well maybe not just my large profile jabbed up under that ledge.

That recon(at 75 lbs of lift) is a underwater lifting balloon in disguise as a BC!!!!!!!! I could find it at Leisurepro for 395 bucks so 350 is a good deal. Not being a tech diver(yet) if you want to go that far why not just get the plate and harness-you are guaranteed absolute perfect fit since you can set it up yourself and you can add that underwater zeppelin to propel you to the surface the day you spear that great white. What is the need for pockets??? I never use mine on my BC. What do people find that you put in a pocket??-old O rings, bottlecaps, the occasional fishing lure. If the item is that valuable I wouldn't put it in a pocket I'd get a bag and secure it to the BC with all those D rings on the Recon you should make use of them.

Price must have went up since last year. The ones for 395 must have valves that are not defective. To be honest about the plate, harnest and wing. I didnt know about them at the time I purchased the BC. I probably would have still went with the BC because I can by a plate for it if I wish. As for the pockets. I dive the cooper river here in SC and I find quite a bit of stuff that I like to take up top side. IE lead weights, shark teeth, sunglasses, watches, fossilzed bones. I havent found any of the 4-6" sharks teeth yet just the small 2-3" range. But I hope to find a place with some soon. I think my problem is I should be looking for fish when I look for teeth and looking for teeth when I should be looking for fish. And I do agree with the under water lifting bag disguised as a BC. I think I saved some money.

Back
Top Bottom