Geo 2 vs Cressi Newton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Geo 2 and have only good things to say about it. It's my primary with a Hollis as backup. Both Algorithms on computers match most of the time.
For Geo 2: In addition to choosing two algorithms and increasing conservatism you can set NDL and Max Depth Alarms. I find this very helpful from time to time.

I don't know anything about the Cressi computer so I'm indifferent about that.

I've been diving a Geo2 as backup to my VT3 for almost 4 years and about 425 dives. It has performed flawlessly. I just went to battery #3, changing is a cinch.

Regarding Diving Dubai's comments, the Geo2 is not just for beginner's,

To clarify, I didn't mean for my post to suggest that this computer was by any means for beginners only - if that came across I applogise

---------- Post added June 1st, 2015 at 07:19 PM ----------

It appears DD has moved on to a more liberal computer after only 2 years, many quality instruments last much longer than that, my VT3 is 5 years old, over 500 dives, and going strong.

My change of computers wasn't to do with conservatism, when I restarted diving I brought my Cressi as it was a good value nitrox capable computer - I didn't foresee that I would get into multi gas diving (I'm part way through my BSAC Accelerated Deco course) I also have to admit age has caught up and the screen on the cressi was not great to read in some conditions hence moving to a bigger OLED screen.

My computer choices are also governed by the availability of dealers in the country. I know I could order over the internet but overseas shipping can be a PITA and I'm a firm believer in having access to an LDS who carries spares for my equipment. Importing a Shearwater Petrel as much as I liked it was a risk I wasn't going to take thus brought into the Eon Steel which I'm very happy with - although appreciate it's not for everyone.

just to confuse you a bit more, you could add the Mares Smart to your list. I just got one and only have 6 dives on it- but it is intuitively easy to use. The Geo 2 does look like a nice choice. Plus- I've seen a lot of them go on ebay for less than $250US, a darn good price.

My change of computers wasn't to do with conservatism, when I restarted diving I brought my Cressi as it was a good value nitrox capable computer - I didn't foresee that I would get into multi gas diving (I'm part way through my BSAC Accelerated Deco course) I also have to admit age has caught up and the screen on the cressi was not great to read in some conditions hence moving to a bigger OLED screen.

My computer choices are also governed by the availability of dealers in the country. I know I could order over the internet but overseas shipping can be a PITA and I'm a firm believer in having access to an LDS who carries spares for my equipment. Importing a Shearwater Petrel as much as I liked it was a risk I wasn't going to take thus brought into the Eon Steel which I'm very happy with - although appreciate it's not for everyone.

...And the Eon Steel with the Suunto RBGM algorithm is more liberal than the Cressi computer, that's very telling. Suunto was my "brand name" computer example where a conservative algorithm may ultimately be disappointing to an uneducated purchaser. Oh well, I guess it's all relative... To each their own.

I have a Cressi Leonardo. The algorithms is conservatism at times. I was diving in a group. The first dive the bottom times were close on the first dive. if the SI was less then 3 hours on second dive, the bottom time was about 75% less than the other DC. I have since replace with a dive computer that uses the same algorithm as the Geo 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom