• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Get the DAN insurance

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by shadling, Dec 27, 2018.

1. ReefHound

ReefHound PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I agree, but it's probably the young and inexperienced taking most of the hits.

2. El Graduado

El Graduado Manta Ray

I would be amazed if there were a thousand divers in the water in any given day. I doubt if all the permitted boats even have that total capacity. Christi, do you have an idea?

3. Christi

Christi PADI MSDT/Dive op owner ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Actually all permitted boats do have that capacity, but all permits are not "active" - on the other hand there are MANY boats out there currently operating without permits. We ran these numbers recently as part of our case for the unwarranted port closures - but I don't have them handy and I will be logging off until next year :)

Happy New Year everyone!

4. BRT

BRT Giant Squid

A guy at Meridiano told me once that they filled 2000 tanks a day, but that may not be true. But they are obviously not the only air fill on the island.

5. deepsea21

deepsea21 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I think there are far more DCS incidents than one would like to think. Obviously no one wants to talk about it but with that many boats and that many divers there are going to be a lot of hits taken both deserved and "undeserved". The popularity of diving has grown tremendously and we've all seen "certified" divers that have made us wonder, "Where the heck did they get certified?". Most divers are not 18-22 year old Navy divers in their prime that the original dive tables were based on over years of testing and experimenting on Navy Guinea Pigs. Dive computers have built-in cushions in their algorithms - some are more conservative, some more aggressive but do they truly compensate for the physiological differences between a 20 year old Navy diver and a 50 year old diver who rides a desk 40 hours a week? I don't think so and, as such, I prefer to dive conservative. Others run themselves to the absolute NDL all the time, every dive without incident, until they have one that is. Some of you may know Chino who used to DM for Aqua Safari and then went freelance. He must be 50 years of age if I were to guess. 1000's and 1000's of dives took their toll and he lost hearing in one ear several years ago - Doctors couldn't explain why. Recently he took a hit and was told no diving for a month. Went back in and took another hit. He's now reported to be leading snorkel groups which must suck for him until he gets his nerve up to try DMing again (if the Dr. said he could even try it after enough time passes).

6. jbjclj

jbjclj Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Don't think so! I am 74 and have over 1000 dives. I had a touch of "turistas" and took azithromycin (like cipro) that cured it, but dehydration was probably a major factor as Christi said.

7. CajunDiva

CajunDiva Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Glad you are OK!

8. That sounds plausible, Meridiano probably fills the vast majority of tanks consumed daily, and most Coz divers do a 2-tanker/daily package, so 2000 tanks divided by 2 tanks per person daily = 1000 daily divers in Coz.

9. Not to sound snooty or anything but cheaping out on DAN insurance is NOT the place to cut cost corners.

10. There are many dive ops Requiring advance proof of DAN or similar dive insurance coverage. For example, try booking an Aggressor LOB trip without said insurance and see how far you get. :)

KathyV likes this.