Gettin' a Dry Suit in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can find pics of my new USIA drysuit here:

ScubaBoard Gallery - USIA Aqua Pro Plus Custom Drysuit - Powered by PhotoPost

I ordered a custom USIA Aqua Pro Plus drysuit from the only USIA dealer in Texas as listed on the dealer section of USIA's website.

I shopped online for a few months and gathered information from many scubaboard users.... a BIG THANKS to ya'll that contributed!

After reviewing the many options, I narrowed down my selection by deciding I wanted the following features:

- Trilam suit - no inherent insulation or buoyancy... only what you put in it; quick to dry; many thermal insulation layers possible
- Custom cut - reduce drag, provide proportionate space for bubble across full body dimension
- Latex socks - allows wide choice in over-boots and insulation w/out going to larger fins.... I use Converse Chuck Taylors... idea from Gillty (thanks). They work excellent and the simple canvas design keeps bubble out and dries quick
- Pee-valve - don't want to have to hold it or pee in my own diaper :l:
- Large thigh pockets - with minimal profile drag, especially when empty
- Thermal Undergarments
- Warm neck seal
- Under $2,000 - Enough said

I first went to DUI, the "Cadillac" of drysuits (by price anyway)... I priced out my suit online and hit @ $3,600. No go... I approached a LDS I sometimes DM for that's also a DUI dealer and mentioned I was looking for a drysuit under $2,000. Even w/ a discount they couldn't make it happen... We didn't even factor in any options :shakehead:

USIA was next... I drove 200 miles to Garland and placed my order w/ the only USIA dealer in TX.

$1,700 :monkeydan

The experience didn't go well... the owner was unfortunately having health issues that ultimately led him to put his business up for sale, on Craigslist... I truly wish him the best and that his health situation improves.

Fortunately, I contacted USIA directly with my concerns and they arranged to ship my suit directly to me.

I placed my order Dec. 10th and was quoted 8 weeks production time for delivery due to the holidays. The suit was ready exactly 8 weeks later and on week 9 I went diving, DRY:D

I only have 4 dives in the suit, but am very satisfied with it's appearance (custom), fit (custom), and all the features I wanted.

I WOULD EASILY RECOMMEND USIA TO ANYONE CONSIDERING A DRYSUIT.

That is regardless of budget, although if you have limited funds, you might just find yourself there anyhow....

GREAT SUIT, GREAT PRICE :grngreedy

Excellent post! I've been researching drysuits for a while and a friend of mine recommended USIA. I want all the same features as you did and wow looks like a great suit. What made you pick this model over the other's (Like the Techniflex)?

After I get some other gear I'm hoping to be able to make the switch to diving dry. Would love to continue diving hrough the winter months in Monterey! :D

Thanks gain for the great pics. Looks like the suit I'm lookin for!

Sorry for the delay in reply, I've been Cave training in Mexico; I hope you understand :D

I've got around 40+ dives in my USIA custom drysuit and would easily recommend it to anyone. Dry suit shopping can be difficult, there are a lot of options and I won't re-hash what I've previously posted, but I'm very satisfied with my suit.

I dive with many other drysuit divers who mostly have DUI, and I'm still confident that I made a good decision and that my suit is as good if not better than many of them, especially if you consider value... product for price :wink:

I'm not real familiar with the Techniflex, but I chose the Aqua Pro Plus because of the tril-am type construction which has been proven for some time and has no inherent buoyancy characteristics, other than what you wear beneath the suit.

The other consideration which can be changed on request, is that the Techniflex comes with the air dump valve on the forearm, not upper arm, so consider that before you order.

Other than that, I've got a solid drysuit, custom made, for less than half of the other suits I considered.

Good luck in your shopping, it sucks, but is well worth the purchase to be able to dive year round anywhere, any temp :D

Sorry for the delay in reply, I've been Cave training in Mexico; I hope you understand :D

I've got around 40+ dives in my USIA custom drysuit and would easily recommend it to anyone. Dry suit shopping can be difficult, there are a lot of options and I won't re-hash what I've previously posted, but I'm very satisfied with my suit.

I dive with many other drysuit divers who mostly have DUI, and I'm still confident that I made a good decision and that my suit is as good if not better than many of them, especially if you consider value... product for price :wink:

I'm not real familiar with the Techniflex, but I chose the Aqua Pro Plus because of the tril-am type construction which has been proven for some time and has no inherent buoyancy characteristics, other than what you wear beneath the suit.

The other consideration which can be changed on request, is that the Techniflex comes with the air dump valve on the forearm, not upper arm, so consider that before you order.

Other than that, I've got a solid drysuit, custom made, for less than half of the other suits I considered.

Good luck in your shopping, it sucks, but is well worth the purchase to be able to dive year round anywhere, any temp :D

Ditto, I have been using my USIA for about 5 years and it works well under very harsh conditions and 38 degree water temperatures.

Shawn O'Shea

Back
Top Bottom