Getting a 5mm wetsuit on without it taking forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a DM in the Grand Cayman give us one of the funnest shows on a boat I've ever seen. He had this old worn out, torn up full 3mm wetsuit. After the briefing he would place this cheap water based conditioner on his feet and calfs. The stuff is so slippery, his suit just "popped on". Because it is water based, it is safe for the ocean. Because it is so slippery, his wet suit just "pops on". He was our DM several times during the week, so we would tease him about taking a shower while diving, and smelling fresh after a dive.

I've adopted his procedure now and carry a bottle of cheap water based conditioner in my bag. By the end of the dive the conditioner I put on my legs is gone and I smell good!!

I had a DM in the Grand Cayman give us one of the funnest shows on a boat I've ever seen. He had this old worn out, torn up full 3mm wetsuit. After the briefing he would place this cheap water based conditioner on his feet and calfs. The stuff is so slippery, his suit just "popped on". Because it is water based, it is safe for the ocean. Because it is so slippery, his wet suit just "pops on". He was our DM several times during the week, so we would tease him about taking a shower while diving, and smelling fresh after a dive.

I've adopted his procedure now and carry a bottle of cheap water based conditioner in my bag. By the end of the dive the conditioner I put on my legs is gone and I smell good!!

haha that's not a bad idea! I might steal it from you (er, him :wink:) and start using that myself

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Dive skin OR compression clothing like underarmor. I use underarmor and it works great.

Some of the newer, hyperstretch type wetsuits, or wetsuits with varying levels of thickness make donning and doffing very easy. My 5/4/3 is a chest entry and I am in it in probably 30 seconds or less.

You can always use KY, I use that with my drysuit seal when doffing the suit. I keep a large tub of it in my dive kit :wink: It's also good for after dive activities :wink:

You'll also probably eventually get used to it. Going back to the 5mm after diving months in a drysuit is like putting on a t-shirt!!

All my wetsuits are skin-in so they have to be lubed up the even attempt to get in.
I use hair conditioner and water in a spray bottle.
I also like to go commando.

I'll add one more bonus tip:
In the morning when I'm loading my gear up and it's cold out, I fill one of those Home Depot orange 5 gallon buckets half full of hot water and put the spray lube bottle in and put the lid on.
Then when I get to the dive site my spray lube is nice and warm and I don't get that ice cold shock sliding into my suit.

A
I'll add one more bonus tip:
In the morning when I'm loading my gear up and it's cold out, I fill one of those Home Depot orange 5 gallon buckets half full of hot water and put the spray lube bottle in and put the lid on.
Then when I get to the dive site my spray lube is nice and warm and I don't get that ice cold shock sliding into my suit.

That almost sounds kinky!

+1 for the plastic bag. It works perfectly, and you don't leave a trail of chemicals in the ocean.

I've used KY a fair bit with my semi-dry as it's hard to get on. But recently we bought Mares 5mm front-zip wetsuits, and they are soooo easy to get on. I had never realised how easy a proper fitting wetsuit can be to get into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom