Getting a BP/W, questions I have

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I did was use blue weightbelt webbing for the harness on my DSS rig.

The DSS rig has a rubber covering on the webbing slots to remove the need for a keeper.

This means I can place a mark using a sharpie or some other permanent marker at both the drysuit and wetsuit adjustments. I just adjust the shoulder straps at the bottom of the wing when i make the switch. This has worked fine for me.

Kelsey

Bingo! However, I'll have a seperate plate setup for the drysuit just to keep this kind of thing to a minimum. You have to reset the d-rings and all that other stuff as well which I don't like.

The alternative is to always dive dry I guess.

That sounds like an idea if I get a hog setup. I think at this point I'd rather just get something more easily adjustable. I don't mind a bit of extra crap. I'm using a Pro QD right now which has plenty of crap on it and don't mind it, I just want something that will be even more comfortable and expandable for the future.

I noticed on COVCI's website that there is now a 40# Mach V? The discussion threads I found here on the Mach V haven't mentioned one, and oxycheq's website needs some work since I couldn't find a link to the Mach V, just a note saying the Mach V was "coming soon!"

I'm not going to try to talk you out of getting a comfort harness, but I have question for you.

How often do you adjust your current BC? I adjusted my BP when I got it last November and have not touched it since. Do you foresee some need to adjust your BC often? People borrowing it, etc.?

Normally when I put it on I either loosen the straps, or unfasten one of the quick releases, to make it easier to get into while it's resting on the back of my car, and then undo a quick release to get out of it as well. How do you get in and out of a hog harness? I'm not sure if I've seen it done (we have a bunch of tech people that dive here but I've never payed attention to what kind of harnesses they use).

Brian

With doubles, I rest them on the ground and get into like putting on a jacket. Or I put them on a picnic table or something and do the same. With singles, I put my arms through the loops, and flip the tank over my head. I've done that once with doubles, but I don't recommend it.

I've never had any need to loosen the harness at all. And I'm not the most flexible guy either!

Assuming the harness is adjusted correctly, it is not difficult to get in and out of a harness. But there is a learning curve, as this story attests.

I use the slightly thinner webbing that Halcyon sells (and I guess you can get it elsewhere) because it is very easy to slide through keepers. I only adjust my harness when I'm heading off to do tropical diving, and it takes about five minutes. The rest of the time, it just stays put.

I just got a bp/w from DSS and the plate is about 5lbs and it needs no sta
i dropped 8 lbs off my belt and may drop 1 or 2 more
I was,nt completely sure about going to a bp/w but after 1 dive with it I,m sure my zeagle brigade is going to collect some serious dust in the closet now because this plate and hog harness is very comfy - not hard to rig or adjust
Do yourself a favor and check out
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page21.html

PerroneFord:
Ron,
I also wonder if your system might have been a bit "tight" because it shouldn't be all THAT hard to get out of. But the exhaust dump is always tricky from what I can tell!

I was using my buddy's single rig. We went to adjust it, and I tried it on in a T-shirt, and he said, unbelievable, it's about right. It *may* have been a bit tight, but it certainly was no problem diving. I just needed help getting in and out!

I actually loosen the shoulder straps on my Stilleto every time I climb into the thing. Maybe I just need to work on getting out without adjusting it. One problem I have is that my computer always catches on the straps. I could solve that by putting on my computer after the BC.

Hey Ron, I have the same trouble with gauges, etc. when donning my rig - That is one reason I moved the exhaust valve on my DS to the cuff, and off the shoulder - at least then I could get it through the straps. I put my gauges on after getting into my rig now. The exception is if you are putting it on by lifting the rig over your head - then I just put my arms through the straps up the the elbows and use them to lift.

For getting out of my harness, if I'm having difficulty I will slide it up over my head again and off - if you're a larger size person it's not a big issue (don't throw it, just lift and slide) unless you're diving doubles ... even AL80's are difficult to don over the head ...

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom