Getting a cold after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSM, however, for the average person, having symptoms of the cold means they have the cold. It is a matter of definition. By the way, taking an antihistamine help my cold water induced congestion... probably meaning that it is mast cell/histamine mediated.

Now, to be a devils advocate, you really question about viruses which cause the "cold", on whether they can survive in a breathing regulator long enough to infect a second person a day or two later?

Hello,
I've only had 2 confined water dives here (I'm taking my Open water certification) and each time I got a cold. Can anyone help me explain why that may be happening to me and what I can do to prevent it? :(

Thank you!
Cindy

So Cindy is it an actual full blown cold that runs the typical cycle or are you just coming up with a healthy snoot full of snot?

Depending on your body and it's condition as well as the dive and water temperature a significant discharge is perfectly normal. You can do the one finger blow and rinse off before getting out of the water to head some of it off. Odds are some will persist on the surface as your body returns to normal conditions. If you're going for chow afterwards bring tissue or a handkerchief.

Pete

I know it is an old thread but I wanted to put this link out that talks about cold taking hold in people where a virus lives in the nose: Cold noses more vulnerable to catching colds - Medical News Today

"At any one time, around 20% of us carry the rhinovirus in our noses."

"In general, the lower the temperature, it seems the lower the innate immune response to viruses," suggesting there is some truth behind the old wives' tale that people should keep warm, and even cover their noses, to avoid catching colds.

So, those that claim that cold water and colds (as viruses) have nothing to do together are wrong.

Also, there was a study that proved that receiving hugs was linked to fewer colds. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287242.php

The study says that less stress resulted in less infections (ex: common cold). Therefore, diving might be associated with higher stress levels that may suppress virus fighting ability of an immune system.

In fact, hypothermia does NOT affect your immune system and does NOT increase your susceptibility to respiratory viruses. That's actually been studied. They took people and put them in cold rooms until they shivered, and sprayed them with viral aerosols. There was no difference between the chilled and unchilled people, in terms of the number who came down with colds.

Seems like studies you are talking about have been from 50s and 60s. It is unknown how accurate they were as it seems they never been repeated: http://drmirkin.com/morehealth/9941.html

Seems like studies you are talking about have been from 50s and 60s. It is unknown how accurate they were as it seems they never been repeated: Dr. Gabe Mirkin on Health, Fitness and Nutrition. » How Do You Catch a Cold?

No where did it state there was a study that refuted the findings. With two studies showing the same result, it would seem be a waste to do a third if there was no indication that the results were not accurate.

Also, there was a study that proved that receiving hugs was linked to fewer colds. Could a hug a day keep infection at bay? - Medical News Today

The title was misleading as there were no hugs given every day, because the subjects were in isolation once the virus was given to the subjects. In addition, above you disparage the two studies for not being repeated for a third time, and this one study has not been repeated at all. I would have liked to have seen them continue to hug their "social support" and track the spread of the virus to see if hugs in fact protected them from colds.

URL="http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287661.php"
Cold noses more vulnerable to catching colds
Written by Catharine Paddock PhD
For their study, using cells sampled from the airways of mice, they compared immune response to the rhinovirus at core body or lung temperature (37 °C) and at a cooler temperature (33 °C).

Showing how mice cells individually react is not exactly refuting any study on how a complete human reacts. The jump from one conclusion to the other is quite speculative.

Of course all of this is somewhat speculative, because one would have to read the actual study to determine what was being studied, why and how. Any publication today is more interested in readership, and possibly agenda, than necessarily sticking to the facts. In other words, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Interesting to read, but not helpful in my daily life.

Bob
-----------------------------------
I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Hello,
I've only had 2 confined water dives here (I'm taking my Open water certification) and each time I got a cold. Can anyone help me explain why that may be happening to me and what I can do to prevent it? :( Thank you! Cindy

Cindy, I have allergies and have long been prone to colds, sinus infections, and nasal, ear and sinus problems. I have even had sinus surgery and that helped, but I still get congestion and infections. I have had dive trips ruined because I got so congested I couldn't clear my ears. My ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor kept advising me to use a neti pot. A simple device for pouring a solution of saline water through your nasal passages. It is quick and easy to do and doesn't hurt at all.

After first it sounded silly and unpleasant to me but I finally tried it and now I am a convert. I use it whenever I feel a cold coming on and I am convinced that it prevents or shortens the duration of the illness. I faithfully take my neti pot and salt packets with me on dive vacations and I use it every night as a preventative. I have been doing this for the last 3 trips and I haven't had any congestion problems.

Below is the link to the product I use, you can find it at drug stores or Target for around $10 or $15. It comes with little pre-measured packets of salt and all you have to do is add the salt to the pot; fill it with water, and let it dissolve before using.

At home I use distilled water that I keep fresh and refrigerated. I warm up the mixture for 30 seconds in the microwave before using; but that's not possible when you are staying in a dive resort or on a liveaboard. My solution isn't perfect but it has been working for me. I use a new, unopened bottle of drinking water to prepare the solution each night and I set the pot in the sink in 1 or 2 inches of hot water to warm it.

I have also taken it with me on non-dive trips because I tend to get congested on airplanes.

I was a sceptic, but it is a simple, cheap, easy, pain-free and drug-free solution so it is worth a try. It helped me and it might help you too, good luck!

http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ci_src%3D17588969%26ci_sku%3D15118416&cad=rja

Last edited:
A new study from Yale indicates that the rhinovirus replicates better at cooler temperatures:
YaleNews | Cold virus replicates better at cooler temperatures

Apparently the old wives’ tale has a scientific basis.

Interesting that rhinovirus incubates better when cooler however, I think it is quite a stretch from saying that because mouse cells show a reduced immune response when cooler, a mouse would actually catch a cold. The study did not test whether a mouse would actually catch cold under these conditions, never mind a person.

If I got a cold because I was just on this side of hypothermia, I'd have to quit diving. :D
Only one data point but I'm no grand specimen.

May be they should repeat the studies using people and a virus again and see if it changed over the years, better than relying on mouse parts and speculation, although I suspect the chaps doing the study were not coming to the same conclusion as the article.

Bob

Interesting that rhinovirus incubates better when cooler however, I think it is quite a stretch from saying that because mouse cells show a reduced immune response when cooler, a mouse would actually catch a cold. The study did not test whether a mouse would actually catch cold under these conditions, never mind a person.

If I got a cold because I was just on this side of hypothermia, I'd have to quit diving. :D
Only one data point but I'm no grand specimen.

May be they should repeat the studies using people and a virus again and see if it changed over the years, better than relying on mouse parts and speculation, although I suspect the chaps doing the study were not coming to the same conclusion as the article.

Bob

It could be like some stubborn viruses, re-enegized or is given the ability to flare up when ever she dives due to a body response which probably lowers her immune system a bit and like Akimbo referenced the study, the virus in the cooler temperatures could quickly replicate.

Did you have any type of ear symptoms. Problems equalizing or pain of any kind. This would be an important reason not to try to get back in the water until you are 100%. I always try to boost my immune system by always ensuring I drink plenty of water, especially when I am feeling something brewing. Keep warm and always try to have some lemons. Its amazing how they help to quickly boost my immune system !

If you don't have any ear problem as a result of your cold and you feel good enough to try to go back out. Make sure of a couple of things before your dive. This might help prevent the same from happening.

Get plenty of rest before your dive, relax and do relatively shallower dive just to get back into it (20 to 30ft. max). This might help you relax mentally and equally important your body might not react once it feels that super cool thermal layer. It could be the key for you to give your body a chance to get comfortable. I am not sure but my hunch is that it could be the way your body is responding and going shallow at first is what I would do at first.. I am not a doctor, but we should all be conservative in what we do to avoid risks. After your dive you should try to avoid exposing your body to cold. Try to warm up quickly or have some warm drink in a thermos or warm water in a gallon jug to rinse with.Perhaps you can get some type of after dive coat, or use something to warm you up quickly. Its perfectly logical to do all you can to bring up your body temp this will help you not to get a super runny nose, which might bring on your other cold symptoms in my IMO.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Hello,
I've only had 2 confined water dives here (I'm taking my Open water certification) and each time I got a cold. Can anyone help me explain why that may be happening to me and what I can do to prevent it? :(

Thank you!
Cindy

I'm no doctor but I'd say you were exposed to a virus(s) that you didn't have immunity from or at a time when your immune system was weak.

Germs cause a person to get a cold not diving.

The OP has probably sorted it out by now, since her problem presented itself in 2007. I just got on to answer Texasguy who gave the thread zombie status.

Just clearing the waters.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom