Getting divers attention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie59

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been looking for a device to get other diver's attention in the water. I've seen a few that seem okay, but what is the best way to audibly alert others.

I'd use my knife on my tank, but I might cut myself.

Your buddy should always be aware of what is going on, but if hes not tap the tank is the best thing I can think to do.

The coolest thing I ever saw was this "rainstick" type thing this Swedish DM had. She would make this musical sound...not the rattle some of those sticks make.

I take my reg out and yell HEEEEEYYY. that is what I do. Sometimes a high pitch scream works better. Like EEEEEEEEEEE. or I flash my strobe.

Hugedodge2000 is right.

Your buddy should be aware. If you have lights, use them to signal. If the buddy does not respond to signals, call the dive. If you don't have a buddy, don't dive :)

Alternately, yell EEEEE like cath...

I do not know what it is called but they make a band that goes around your tank with a ball on it. You just reach back grab the ball pull it and let go and it smacks against the tank and makes a noise the same as tapping it with a dive knife. If you don't have gloves on your can make a fist with one hand and keep the other open and smack the palm of the open hand with the closed fist of the other. Works great and you can really hear it, or just snap your finer which also works good.

I do not know what it is called but they make a band that goes around your tank with a ball on it. You just reach back grab the ball pull it and let go and it smacks against the tank and makes a noise the same as tapping it with a dive knife. If you don't have gloves on your can make a fist with one hand and keep the other open and smack the palm of the open hand with the closed fist of the other. Works great and you can really hear it, or just snap your finer which also works good.

Tank bangers (the ball on the elastic thing) work alright, but many people have them, and too many times you are underwater and all you can hear are bloody tang bangers twanging away. Does my head in...

Torch signals work if you have a powerful-enough torch to make a visible beam in bright daylight conditions.

A karabiner rapped on your tank also works.

I have a quacker attached between my BCD power inflator and low-pressure inflator hose. I only use it when I need to get my buddy's attention immediately and can't wait 30-40 seconds for them to glance in my direction so I can wave at them. I only give one quick quack and that is enough to alert them to look in my direction. Usually it is if I spot something like a shark or manta or similar, or need them to do a bit of modelling. Not that many people have quackers, so if they hear one, they tend to know it is me.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom