Getting gear from car to dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a chance to see the Dive Box in action today over at Sunnyside Beach, Puget sound.

Nice concept but the wheels are much too small for the weight/ terrain involved--or so it seemed to me.

Biodiversity_guy:
I got a chance to see the Dive Box in action today over at Sunnyside Beach, Puget sound.

Nice concept but the wheels are much too small for the weight/ terrain involved--or so it seemed to me.
You must have seen the older, original version. They have a new one with big nubby pneumatic tires that are great for more offroad terrain.

I've been looking for a scuba caddy all year. Haven't found one yet, but I will keep trying.

Flea Dog

Walking a block from the hotel to the beach at LBTS....

One folding luggage cart, from Wal-Mart
One kitchen storage box (usually holds potatoes) just wide enough for two tanks
Bungie cords holding two AL80s in place

The rest of the gear goes into ProMate mesh boat bags. If the site does not have water, we set up a rinse station in 66 qt Sterilite lock boxes and use a tarp to keep sand off the gear. The gear sits unnoticed by a bench until we get back, and is easily replaced.

After gearing up, a fin strap clip works for hands-free travel to the surf: ScubaToys BCQR7

hazmatmess:
I saw this guy with the Marine Utility Cart (4th one down). It folds and he carried a good amount of gear in it. Here is the site:
http://www.burgeeshoppe.com/DockCarts.htm

Hope it helps,
Tim :wink:

I use the 3rd one down, what they call the lightweight dock cart for a lot of my dive gear as well as anything else I’m taking to the boat. I have an extra folding basket that sits on top and it carries a ton of stuff real easy to pull on anything but sand. I use the baskets on the boat and in the car after dives to store wet gear as they offer better ventilation than Rubbermaid tubs and they fold up out of the way when not in use.

Hello all....

Thank you CompuDude for the kind words about our product.

It sounds like the Dive Box is the perfect product for the questions raised in this thread. The stock wheels are a solid multi-purpose wheel that are designed mostly for asphalt, docks, boats, etc. We do have a wheel upgrade kit available that includes pneumatic wheels that are better for rougher terrains. We are also in the process of releasing a sand tire that works excellent on sand.

If any of you have specific questions about the Dive Box, please feel free to call me directly.

You can see a photo at: https://www.shop.californiadivingcompany.com/categoryNavigationDocument.hg?categoryId=10

How far is it from the car to the water ? In a lot of cases in the places where we dive this is 500m to 1000m, so we gear up at the car, don our rigs and walk over fully equipped to the water (and back). No hassle with wheel barrows, no risk for getting these things "lost" at the water side while we're under, etc.

hazmatmess:
I saw this guy with the Marine Utility Cart (4th one down). It folds and he carried a good amount of gear in it. Here is the site:
http://www.burgeeshoppe.com/DockCarts.htm
I have this cart as I typically travel with my 3 diving sons in our motorhome to various sites. I rarely rent a car and thus we are usually parked away from the dive sites, charter and rental boats. The cart overall is pretty nice and should stay corrosion free, however they are being abit generous with their advertised 330# cargo load. We do carry 4 tanks (ranging in sizes from a steel 50 through to a steel 130), weight belts and bp/w's but our weight is certainly under this limit though this amount of gear does form a mound. We have slightly bent the rear cargo plate and the cart feels a little wobbly with this much gear but in general it does work. One time at Dutch Springs we had a wheel pop off while pulling the cart up the grassy hill but outside of that it has worked well. We used it all over Tobermory and Pt Traverse this summer.

Though it is a folding cart, it still takes up some room and is not likely to be useful for a car but can be for a SUV, truck or van as well as for a RV. It is really made for use around marinas. I had also purchased the front cargo door and that has not been needed so I wouldn't recommend it for lugging dive gear. If you do some searching around on the internet, you should be able to find this for around $200. They also make a cheaper garden version but I would recommend the heavier duty marine version based upon the environments we use them in.

Back
Top Bottom