Getting gear from car to dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what I use to get my gear to the divesite
I may have to park blocks away and got tired of dragging two backpacks and a tank or two

I have the 29" 24 gal. Stanley Rolling Tool Chest(#29005) like a smaller version this 37" one ... http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+BOX+ROLLING+CHESTS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=37001&SDesc=37%26%2334%3B+Mobile+Job+Box
all my gear, BC, Fins, Wetsuit, etc, fit inside, It's water tight and can rinse gear in it ... and I can strap two al80 tanks to the top with a ratchet tiedown :D ... got the 29" because It's small enough to fit in the hold of the Catalina Ferry and only cost aboot $40 at Lowes Hardware (that 37" one will hold your tank inside! )

Hi,

After looking and thinking for a bit last year, we went with the RuXXac folding hand cart for the heavy bits (tanks, weights). We have XS Scuba wheeled mesh duffels for the rest of the stuff (these are terrific).

They hold an incredible amount of weight for the size and cart weight (125kg or 275 lbs!), fold flat for transport, roll well on good wheels. I have the long footplate version, takes 2 tanks and weights just fine. You will want to add a good strap to secure the tanks to the uprights.

For convenience, I got one for myself and one for my wife/buddy, though it is possible to load 4 tanks and all the weights on a single cart it does get a bit unwieldy.

The carts have been enormously useful in normal life, too ;-).

This is like the first folding cart on the burgeeshoppe link, but that looks like it might be a knock-off, not an original RuXXac. FWIW, we've had several of both real RuXXacs and knock-offs at work: RuXXacs going strong after much abuse, knock-offs are trashed. I'd look for the real RuXXac. You can usually tell a knock-off by the lower weight capacity.

I got mine throught the Container Store (I was impatient to have it for a charter coming up quick), but there were many online vendors as well. For some reason, I can only find UK vendors with a quick search this morning, e.g.: http://www.liftruck.co.uk/ruxxac-carts.html

They come in several models, some specifically for marine use (I have seen the regular carts by boats, though, they seem to last fine).

Hope that helps,
Cheers

If you want something with big wheels for sand you might try searching for fishing surf carts like this one.

To go the cheap way just steal a shopping cart from the local Wal-fart (you know the evil place that I am talking about). Works good about $0 just don’t get caught.

To go the honest way I have seen and used a bog utility wagon one that is metal with large tires and rated for 500lbs or more. Works great about $50-$100. It’s on my Christmas list but I have been naughty this year so it probably won’t happen.

This is what I use to get my gear to the divesite
I may have to park blocks away and got tired of dragging two backpacks and a tank or two

I have the 29" 24gal. Stanley Rolling Tool Chest(#29025R) ...

Stanley Hand Tools :  029025R  -  Stanley® Mobile Tool Chest
all my gear, BC, Fins, Wetsuit, etc, fit inside, It's water tight and can rinse gear in it ... and I can strap two al80 tanks to the top with a ratchet tiedown :D ... got the 29" because It's small enough to fit in the hold of the Catalina Ferry and only cost aboot $49 at Lowes Hardware (a 37" one will hold your tank inside! )
Edit: oops, wrong thread :wink:

Back
Top Bottom