Getting OW certified on Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning to spend a week in Roatan. We haven't dived before but are keen to learn. My questions are about getting certified down there.

The local dive shop in the States (naturally) tried to sell its dive instruction program, saying the $250-300 you see quoted for OW certification at Roatan dive shops as misleading and that by the time you pay for equipment rental it's more like $600 plus. Any truth to that? I'm inclined not to believe it.

Our schedules are tight between now and the planned vacation, so even doing the academic course work and pool time to arrive in Roatan with a referral would be difficult. I see some Roatan dive web sites linking to the E-learning PADI course. Not wanting to spend a day or more in a classroom studying dive tables on our island vacation, my question is how much time would the online written work save? Would we be able to arrive and move more or less straight to the pool work and then open water dives? Follow up question: should I even look into the online SDI course? (I've long of heard of PADI and NAUI, but SDI is new to me and don't know if it is universally recognized.)

Thanks for helping out two aspiring divers.

We got our OW certification while staying at Bay Islands Beach Resort on Roatan for a week in 2005. It was about $300 as I recall and included the equipment. I just checked their website and the price is now $350 including equipment. (plus dive package if staying there)
Bay Islands Beach Resort- Roatan, Honduras- Courses in Diving & Snorkeling

You don't get all the pool sessions (you get none). You will be doing all your training in the ocean, at about 20-30 foot depth until it is time to go deeper.

Our instructor, Sean Bodin, was wonderful and is an NAUI instructor.
Other shops are probably comparable.
One advantage of doing it there is that you are training in 80 degree plus water and can blend the training into your vacation. You will spend a few evenings studying, but you will be motivated.

SDI is universally recognized as a certification, it is less widely taught than some others.

Your dive shop is telling you stories.

E-Learning (Pre-study) of written materials is a smart thing. The e-Learning process does add to the cost as you are buying the materials from the certifying agency, cutting your instructor out of that part of his living.

Coconut Tree http://www.coconuttreedivers.com/rec/showcourse.php?id=2 is $310 but makes no specific mention of the additional cost of rental gear for students stated on their website, nor do they break down the e-Learning add-on price.

They offer "Open Water Referrals" costing $200 if you do all the classroom and "pool" work with your local dive shop first. Take the specific Certifying Agency's Confined Water Pool Sessions that you plan to utilize in Roatan, otherwise it will add to the cost if you switch agencies midstream.

At Dockside http://docksidedivecenter.com/courses.shtml it is $380 with the gear included. With e-Learning it costs $420 ($120 + $300). If you want an Open Water Referral, it costs $150.

The above quoted Bay Islands Beach Resort price of $350 should be read carefully, as they state: "$350.00 plus dive package rate" Their Open Water Referrals are also $200.

Last edited:
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning to spend a week in Roatan. We haven't dived before but are keen to learn. My questions are about getting certified down there.

The diving in Roatan is excellent; I can't imagine going there without diving.

The local dive shop in the States (naturally) tried to sell its dive instruction program, saying the $250-300 you see quoted for OW certification at Roatan dive shops as misleading and that by the time you pay for equipment rental it's more like $600 plus. Any truth to that? I'm inclined not to believe it.

I'm not sure, but you can look them up on the net and it will tell you. You could even call them and speak to someone and see what they say. I may be way off, but $600 for classroom, pool, 4 dives, and full equipment rental for pool sessions and 4 dives doesn't seem way off to me.

Our schedules are tight between now and the planned vacation, so even doing the academic course work and pool time to arrive in Roatan with a referral would be difficult. I see some Roatan dive web sites linking to the E-learning PADI course. Not wanting to spend a day or more in a classroom studying dive tables on our island vacation, my question is how much time would the online written work save? Would we be able to arrive and move more or less straight to the pool work and then open water dives? Follow up question: should I even look into the online SDI course? (I've long of heard of PADI and NAUI, but SDI is new to me and don't know if it is universally recognized.)

I did my OW online in 2007 and thought it was great. Everything is done at your pace, and the areas you want clarification on you can replay over and over until you get it. The only thing worse than spending 2 days in a classroom at home would be spending two days in a classroom when you are on vacation.

I'm not sure how much time it would save you, but I certainly didn't spend nearly as much time as I would have if I were sitting in a classroom full of people. Besides, you can do it whenever you want, in pieces.

If you want to learn to dive I properly I wouldn't rush the material - it's all about staying alive, which to me is fairly important.

Thanks for helping out two aspiring divers.

Good luck, and enjoy the addiction.

blindpilot,

I don't know anything about Anthony's key except it has PADI instructors. Their website states it is $375.00 which includes all materials and equipment needed while taking the course. You might look at CoCo View's website or Fantasy Island Website if you are just checking out what you get for the money. I am sure somebody will post here with a preference for training, I was just giving you an example of what it costs not suggesting anyplace as I have no experience on Roatan.

Thanks for the responses so far. If anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

I'm definately going to look further into the E-learning options, and it's kinda neat that the "pool work" is actually done in the ocean.

I have dove with the Instructor and DM at Cocoview they are really caring people they also seemed to make the class fun. (I was not in the class just observing). One of the DM's also mentored a couple of new divers for almost the whole week we were there getting their buoyancy under control etc...

My husband got certified at Banarama resort in 2007 and I (being certified for 25 years, watched and was pleased) took a refresher. Great, caring, thorough instruction. I think the cost was @250 including materials. PM if you want more info.

I have never taken a course in Rotan, or any other resort area, but as an instructor with a small shop I have seen the results occasionally of hurried instruction that tries to do too much in a short time frame. I have been involved with diving instruction for over 20 years, and have been an instructor almost 17 years. Everyone learns differently, so it’s important to understand where you are personally before you jump in. If you’re comfortable in the water, you should have a pretty easy time learning. If you’re not sure, plan on going a little slower. Many people find starting out in the pool to be very beneficial (I believe most resorts offer this). I have met people who were put off from diving and never certified because they were overwhelmed and had a bad first experience during their initial instruction. Again, it depends on the person and their comfort. I think E-learning is an excellent tool not only for saving time on vacation, but for studying and absorbing material ahead of time at your own pace. If you do E-learning, be sure also to note and ask any question you think of to be sure and get the full benefit of your instructor’s knowledge and experience. There can be a big advantage to doing your classroom and confined water training with a local shop or instructor before you go on vacation, and that is time. With a referral in hand, once you arrive in Rotan you can do your 4 certification dives and then be free to go diving and focus on the diving rather than learning skills. You will be able to experience more and see more, if you already have learned the basics at home. Whatever you decide you’re doing the right thing by doing your homework here. Also don’t be afraid also to call and speak with the dive center you are considering training with now, to be certain all your questions are answered before you leave home. This gives you a chance to be sure of what you’re getting, as well helps you to get a feel for the operation. Whatever you decide, I hope it’s a wonderful vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom