Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The room tax applies if folks book legal rentals. Air BnB, Homeaway and VRBO are killing legal rentals. Millions of tax dollars are lost due to these rentals. I think I read Amsterdam may outlaw Air BnB

Is Airbnb Really Ruining Rental Markets?

Amsterdam, Airbnb agree new deal to stop illegal rentals - DutchNews.nl

I'm a bit confused (an increasingly normal thing for me.) How does your statement apply in context to my post about the new air service?

We've been booking Bonaire accommodations using VRBO/Homeaway for the past 10 years or so and haven't encountered any property owners that "forget" to charge the room tax. I'm sure there are some room tax outlaws out there on Airbnb etc., but in the bigger scheme of Bonaire tourism they appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

Using the $5.47/night room tax rate quoted in the article it would take 182,815 nights of not paying the room tax to rack up $1,000,000 in lost tax revenue. The last time I looked (2015 tourism stats) Bonaire was only getting around 125,000 overnight visitors per year. Based on a 7 night stay it would take about 25% of them not paying the tax to reach $1M in a year. Do you really think the private rental tax scofflaws are that prolific?

I only ask because I've never heard any suggestion here or on any of the other Bonaire forums indicating that this is common practice.

I'm a bit confused (an increasingly normal thing for me.) How does your statement apply in context to my post about the new air service?

We've been booking Bonaire accommodations using VRBO/Homeaway for the past 10 years or so and haven't encountered any property owners that "forget" to charge the room tax. I'm sure there are some room tax outlaws out there on Airbnb etc., but in the bigger scheme of Bonaire tourism they appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

Using the $5.47/night room tax rate quoted in the article it would take 182,815 nights of not paying the room tax to rack up $1,000,000 in lost tax revenue. The last time I looked (2015 tourism stats) Bonaire was only getting around 125,000 overnight visitors per year. Based on a 7 night stay it would take about 25% of them not paying the tax to reach $1M in a year. Do you really think the private rental tax scofflaws are that prolific?

I only ask because I've never heard any suggestion here or on any of the other Bonaire forums indicating that this is common practice.
I would have to concur with @wwguy - I have used AirBNB and VRBO for Bonaire trips and have always been charged the room tax.

Being charged and it going to the government are to different things....

jim...

Being charged and it going to the government are to different things....

Your innuendo borders on accusation. You appear to be implying that some rental property owners are collecting the tourist tax from guests and keeping the money for themselves. Do you have any experience or evidence to back this up?

Your innuendo borders on accusation. You appear to be implying that some rental property owners are collecting the tourist tax from guests and keeping the money for themselves. Do you have any experience or evidence to back this up?

NO... I just have open eyes and know that hiding money from the Government is as old as taxes themselves..

Jim....

More Bonaire bashing without substance.

More Bonaire bashing without substance.

No, Not Bashing Bonaire... You guys know how much I love Bonaire and "KNOW" the Island fairly well... We are talking about the Government getting all the taxes from rentals on the Island... I know two things... One; That the people in Bonaire in the tax department know that they are losing tax dollars... Two; People all over the world try and not give the government taxes... It's the old... If I pay you cash ???? How meany waiters and bartenders claim all their tip money??? Would you make the bill of sale out for only this amount so I don't have to pay a lot of sales tax on this boat??? I don't think I Bonaire is any different then the rest of the world...

Jim.....

Hasen't this gotten way Way WAY off topic?

Back on topic:

I will be taking the Sunwing non stop flight Toronto to Bonaire in December.
Will let you know. Seems to me, Vancouver to Toronto then Toronto to Bonaire might be the easiest and cheapest option for the OP. An alternative would be Vancouver, Houston, Bonaire.

I agree with some of the other respondents that going to Aruba or Curacao and then on to Bonaire is a PITA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom