Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about Vancouver, but going through US customs/security in Toronto is a major PITA (upwards of 3 hours standing in unending lines). That's why I will always choose to NOT transit through the US if at all possible, unless, of course, I'm actually going to the US or departing on a cruise in Florida.

Just my personal preference I guess.
I don't understand. Flying Vancouver-Toronto-Bonaire does not involve the US or US customs or immigration or security.

I don't understand. Flying Vancouver-Toronto-Bonaire does not involve the US or US customs or immigration or security.

Sorry I must’ve been unclear. I’ve already answered this same question to another poster.

@Doctorfish, you mentioned that "An alternative would be Vancouver, Houston, Bonaire." And various other posters in this thread also mentioned the same. When you travel into the US, or even transiting through the US to get to another foreign jurisdiction (in this case Bonaire), you have to go through US customs in Toronto. I'm not sure if this is the case in Vancouver.

I have done this many times in the past several years because I cruise a lot, so I go into Florida a lot, mainly Fort Lauderdale and Miami. It takes upwards of 3 hours standing in lines going through US customs, then security. That has been my experience. In fact, on Pearson's website, they advise to check in 3 hrs in advance for flights bound for the US. It's a totally different story travelling to other foreign destinations. It's only going to the US that is this crazy.

Now, I'm a regular traveller and I do not have Nexus or any special credit card privileges that get me through the customs and security lines quicker. My friend does and she always beats me by at least an hour. She has Nexus and the super duper AE card.

I am making a general comment about transiting through the US. I am not referring to Vancouver-Toronto-Bonaire.

I agree. I try to avoid US customs if I can. Flying through Mia, Ohare or Atlanta is no pleasure if you are not a US citizen. The line for us aliens can be very long and slow.

Their "kiosks" seem to be getting better though: now it's only half the time that you have to stand in line to see the helpful officer after standing in line to see the helpful kiosk.

Then you will probably like this (snipped from the November 6-20 online edition of The Bonaire Reporter.)

View attachment 434441

If American Airlines is returning to Bonaire, they are not sharing the news. I can't book flights on Kayak or AA's website to BON (looking in June). There is nothing in their newsroom about an agreement, either. I'm no airline expert, but I would also think it would be a little odd to start up service in June, then temporarily discontinue service two months later. I would love to have another option from Delta. I don't dislike Delta, but the lack of competition keeps the price exceptionally high.

Prices from Albany, NY have jumped from somewhere around $600+ round trip to between $1,200 and $2,800 (and even higher - economy class) AND the travel times have gone from around 7 hours to between 20 and 40 hours either going or returning or both. Pretty much the same for Curacao. WTF? Are they trying to keep people from going to the Lesser Antilles?

If American Airlines is returning to Bonaire, they are not sharing the news. I can't book flights on Kayak or AA's website to BON (looking in June). There is nothing in their newsroom about an agreement, either. I'm no airline expert, but I would also think it would be a little odd to start up service in June, then temporarily discontinue service two months later. I would love to have another option from Delta. I don't dislike Delta, but the lack of competition keeps the price exceptionally high.

The Bonaire Reporter also mentioned that they would need to figger out financing, which was supposed to be by the next week. The following edition said nada with regard to AA, so I take it that who will pay what for AA to once again serve Bonaire is not worked out! The break in service might have made sense in 08 when they last served BON, but not now, as it is the height of coral spawning. Our next trip is in August--we could get there if AA goes, but not return. Bought Delta tickets. btw, the latest edition of the Reporter has a couple of nuggets re: other airline news Insel and Aruba Airlines. The complete edition is online....

I continue to lobby Jetblue to go to Bonaire from Ft Lauderdale. They currently do NY-Curacao for example.

Prices from Albany, NY have jumped from somewhere around $600+ round trip to between $1,200 and $2,800 (and even higher - economy class) AND the travel times have gone from around 7 hours to between 20 and 40 hours either going or returning or both. Pretty much the same for Curacao. WTF? Are they trying to keep people from going to the Lesser Antilles?

It's all islands still standing apparently. Enjoy capitalism, tovarisch.

I don't believe the airfares you are seeing have anything to do with the past storms and which islands were unaffected. I am still seeing relatively inexpensive airfares to places like GCM and CUR with the standard relatively high airfares to BON.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom