Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another possibility is Vancouver to Houston and then non stop to Bonaire on United.....Once again forget Inselair Curacao to Bonaire and use Divi Divi Air rt between Curacao and Bonaire. Divi Divi's last flight Curacao--Bonaire is at 5pm every day, so you need to arrive on Curacao no later than 3pm. Many steps to take changing airlines there.

And all those steps are why I refuse to go through Curacao... To have to go through customs, Immigration and get your bags.. Leave out of the main building and walk down the sidewalk and check back in, pay a exit tax and go back through customs and Immigration is BULL$HIT and a waste of my time and the people working at the airport are far from helpful... I'd gladly pay $300 more on a ticket then fly through that Island ever again... I did it 3 times and every time it was a nightmare..

Jim...

I am super excited for AA to return. When they ended service in 2008, it changed flight options, dramatically. I fly 6-8 round trips a year from BON to BOS. Most of the time, I fly AA from Curacao. I like the CLT Saturday route but usually transfer in MIA. I ONLY use Divi Air. I refuse to fly Insel and strongly recommend against this option. United used to be the cheapest route BOS BON but this year, prices are dramatically higher for many winter dates. It's becoming prohibitive to get to BON. I have 10 repeat clients who are not coming to BON this year due to the high cost.

ITA Matrix is a very cool search engine but I find it hard to navigate. They have long layovers and you need to really play with it. I think Yapta is the best search engine to notify you on fare increase and decreases. Lastly, I use Hopper but don't find it super reliable.

If I were flying from Vancouver, I would fly United through Houston. I'd spend on the tickets and find a lower cost property on island to save a bit. Load flights on Yapta and keep watching to see the price drop.

And all those steps are why I refuse to go through Curacao... To have to go through customs, Immigration and get your bags.. Leave out of the main building and walk down the sidewalk and check back in, pay a exit tax and go back through customs and Immigration is BULL$HIT and a waste of my time and the people working at the airport are far from helpful... I'd gladly pay $300 more on a ticket then fly through that Island ever again... I did it 3 times and every time it was a nightmare..

Jim...
I agree, CUR airport is a NIGHTMARE. I never ever go downstairs unless I have no choice. I wish I had the time and energy to share the horrible experiences I have had entering CUR as a transit point to connect on Divi. I still do this option at times (Using AA or Jet Blue to get to CUR) and never EVER have a checked bag. I call Divi from the departure point in the US, tell them I am enroute and they meet me in transit with my boarding pass so I do NOT need to go downstairs. The matter in transit is another story. Some incompetent staff don't recognize mobile or paper boarding passes and make you go downstairs to check in, even though you have evidence you have already done so.

If you find cheap air to CUR, pre check in to immigration and use one of the functional (some are always broken) kiosks to check in and save some time.

Curaçao Embarkation Card

Jim...

Same if not worse going through Aruba - AND Insul Air is no longer a real option. They are de facto out for the count.

... prices are dramatically higher for many winter dates. It's becoming prohibitive to get to BON. ...
Only been there once (and that did involve Insel Air, which was actually better than Spirit which was a comedy of never ending delays on too many legs) and don't know the flight situation but appreciate you explaining (your whole post)... for we certainly decided to shelf travel to Bonaire until we do find a more reasonable flight (in total duration and cost) from Chicago. Keep looking every now and then...

Only been there once (and that did involve Insel Air, which was actually better than Spirit which was a comedy of never ending delays on too many legs) and don't know the flight situation but appreciate you explaining (your whole post)... for we certainly decided to shelf travel to Bonaire until we do find a more reasonable flight (in total duration and cost) from Chicago. Keep looking every now and then...

I don't run tickets anymore but would be happy to track flights for anyone who needs help. Don't lose hope. Avoid peak travel dates whenever possible. I still believe Bonaire is one of the most affordable islands.

Call it a conspiracy theory but I wonder if the airfares are higher because so many islands are closed to tourism?

Same if not worse going through Aruba - AND Insul Air is no longer a real option. They are de facto out for the count.
Just one single experience data point: Avoid AUA right before Xmas... It was a night mare for us in 2015. Longest and slowest line I've ever seen anywhere (I recall 2.5+ hours, in that line from the very end of the upper floor) to get through "entry" which seems necessary (or was then) when changing carriers... For some reason they had a a good number of unstaffed entry booth (seemingly half, maybe 40%) on what they claimed to know very well as their busiest day of the year.

Just one single experience data point: Avoid AUA right before Xmas... It was a night mare for us in 2015. Longest and slowest line I've ever seen anywhere (I recall 2.5+ hours, in that line from the very end of the upper floor) to get through "entry" which seems necessary (or was then) when changing carriers... For some reason they had a a good number of unstaffed entry booth (seemingly half, maybe 40%) on what they claimed to know very well as their busiest day of the year.

Yep!!! Also any "holiday" for them. Only a skeleton staff at best - pissed to be working and determined to make you as miserable as they are.

And after reading the last few posts.... You all understand why to pay more and not miss dive days because they lost your bag or cancelled flight and start your vacation off with a airport nightmare and knowing it's the same to go home.. I'd rather not go out one night or drink a few less Brites and fly non-stop delta or united...

Jim...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom