Getting to DIR by the long way around

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After being certified 25 years ago, and then taking 10 years off, I started to get really serious about diving again about a year ago. Back then, I don't remember anything about "DIR" as I was an open water student in the southern part of a landlocked province of Canada.

Now, after the last year, and spending a lot of time learning, and reading SB, I find a couple of things:

First, their is this thing called DIR that may have been around then but I didn't know anything about it, and second, their seems to be quite a bit of "conversation" regarding the topic.

I like to think I am a pretty logical person who is always looking for the smartest or best way to do something, and I am not averse to re-evaluating "where I am" in order to find a better way to get to "where I am going".

I find it interesting that I have been spending a good deal of time reading and learning about the DIR "approach" to diving and I have been "rediscovering" the wheel on a regular basis. I have posted questions regarding everything from ankle weights to mouthpieces and I have read everything from "Dress for Success" to "Fitness for Divers.

In the end, I have found my regular recreational diving "approach" changing and my equipment changing as well.

I haven't yet taken a DIRF course, but as I approach each new diving "concern" I find my answer to each problem invariably takes the DIR answer. I have to say that I am completely non biased and I approach each problem or new issue with a "what is the best, most common sense, most logical" answer. I consistently come up with an answer that could come from a DIR text book! I am wondering if this is a unique experience? I am not going into this process with a closed mind or any preconceived notions so what is the deal? Is this a common occurence? I am familiar with the old adage that the "best advocate is the new recruit" but I mean really, is this a common occurence? I don't know any DIR divers except the one guy I met on an open water dive near home one time (he was with two buddies doing a 150 deco dive) but I am about to do the TDI advanced nitrox and Deco course and I notice that my gear set up is pretty much DIR down to the spring straps on my new turtle fins!

I guess what I am asking is has my progression of asking questions and finding that the best answers are consistenly coming from the DIR camp a common thing? I am not trying to start some kind of argument, but I would like some DIR comments. I haven't gone so far yet as to get rid of my computer but I would like to get some feedback from others. Is this a fairly common sequence of events? The more I look at the tech end of diving, the closer to DIR I see my diving becoming.

I have been on several liveaboards in the last few months and I asked a couple of the staff some "DIR" questions and they looked at me with glassy eyes and had never heard of the term. Is this just an SB thing?

Looking forward to some comments. And thanks Doc Intreped and Lamont for getting me thinking about what I was doing and where I was heading.

Cheers,

Yep, pretty standard stuff. You generally don't find average rec divers around town (unless you live in Seattle or SoCal apparently... and maybe cave country) who know much about DIR or have even heard of it. I stumbled upon via SB as well.

Don't worry too much about the computer. It will go with time. I continued to use mine even after my fundies class for a bit. Nobody is going to be "DIR" out of the box. It takes time and practice and mindset. It's not just about the gear. So getting rid of the computer and just using a bottom timer doesn't make you DIR. Understanding why and actually wanting to do it are DIR... but you'll get there if you want to. And if you don't want to, then that is good for you and is the way you'll dive. Don't sweat that end either. DIR and its strict standards aren't for everyone.

And, Doc and Lamont are two of the best advocates there are.

Enjoy the trek.

Chris

cmalinowski put it perfectly. Don't do something just because it's DIR. Make sure you understand why you do or change something. 'GUE said so' is not a valid reason. I've picked and choosen things that work for me, and well some things that I don't agree with (mostly the little nitpicky things) I've left out of my diving.

The 'DIR Approach' is an excellent resource, just becareful not to drown in the koolaid and turn snobbish like it seems alot of folk tend to do.

Cmon Kangy... How many snobish DIR guys do you know? Are they really DIR guys or just people who "picked and chose" stuff like the gear config... A lot of the hype about elitist DIR snobs is internet fiction....

The majority of DIR guys are pretty nice and make good mentors specially when they find out you have the same mindset...

BTW if you agree with the principles why not take fundies? Are your skills good enough to maintain your deco stops for you adv deco class without any upline?

Ben_ca:
Cmon Kangy... How many snobish DIR guys do you know?
Just you, Ben. :wink:

Thanks for the input. To your question Ben, yep, no problems there. I just about have one of my dive buddies convinced to take DIRF as well. Probably will this spring.

Bismark:
... I have to say that I am completely non biased and I approach each problem or new issue with a "what is the best, most common sense, most logical" answer. I consistently come up with an answer that could come from a DIR text book! I am wondering if this is a unique experience? I am not going into this process with a closed mind or any preconceived notions so what is the deal? Is this a common occurence?
To the extent that "common sense" is in fact "common", which is debatable, it is a common occurrence.

DIR is not new. Most of what is considered DIR was commonly in use by cave divers well before George's article established the term. Long hoses, backplates & wings, and planning processes for safely conducting cave dives all existed in the 1970s, even if their exact origins continue to be debated.

In fact, as many have said often before, most of what is presented in DIR-Fundamentals is presented in the first couple chapters of the PADI OW manual. It consists of simple concepts executed with precision.

Bismark:
... I guess what I am asking is has my progression of asking questions and finding that the best answers are consistenly coming from the DIR camp a common thing?
Yes, it is a common thing.

To the extent that it is an outgrowth of a thoughtful and analytical approach to the planning of very challenging dives, while the term is controversial, any objective, logical, and thoughtful review of the goals to be achieved and resulting protocols and processes necessary to achieve them would arrive at fairly similar conclusions.

That said, it is not universally necessary. While 'good bouyancy and trim' should be demonstrated by recreational divers as well, and while the equipment is reasonably useful in most any environment, one of the more philosophical tenets notes that 'what is DIR' is to examine the environment, the objectives, and any related constraints, and then select the best tools for the job. There is an old saying about "if all you own is a hammer, then every job begins to look like a nail". Advocates of any particular paradigm need to keep that in mind, lest we all become rather single-minded.

I wish you the best,

Doc

You will find a lot of good in the DIR approach. There will also be some things, mostly small, that may not have application to your particular diving. What you need to do is keep is an open mind and ask why. If the person who is giving out info but can't go into depth on the why a particular item or configuration is used, they are just spouting off.

For example, in the DIR setup a D-ring is placed on the front of the crotch strap. This D-ring is specifically used when running a scooter. It is where the scooter is clipped on so that it pulls you on long distance dives, be they cave or open water. A year or so ago I had a helpful DIR want-to-be question me on why I had most of the DIR style rig but not that D-ring. My reply was that as I did not have a scooter, it was a useless piece of equipment and not needed. His reply was "but that is not DIR!" He could not understand why I would not have that D-ring.

What you may find is that like true Special Forces veterans, real trained and practicing DIR types do not brag or get in your face. It is the want-to-be's that do that. But the real DIR divers are almost always willing to talk you through the theory and practice of why to have/use an item.

For the want-to-be's a buddy and I do a tag team on them We will say they can dive with us if they can calculate their PPD. Either my buddy or I will say, well in a wet suit we may get up to 2 or 3 and maybe 4 on a long dive, but in a dry suit we try to keep it to zero.

The Want-to-be will usually to BS his way through and give some number. But if he is actually willing to learn and will say when they have no clue on what you are talking about they will say "I don't know what you are talking about." That person can learn and is worth my time.

PPD has no DIR meaning, it means "Pee Per Dive."

You should also look at DIR as a continuing evolving system that will change over time as new equipment and techniques are developed.

By the way, I am not a full DIR diver, I use what works for me from the DIR style. Lets say I am a Protestant but not a Born Again as far as DIR goes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom