Getting to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happyoyster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi and sorry if this question has been answered before, I couldn't find info I need.
I'm planning my first trip to Utila in August 2009 from SF California. I usually fly Continental to the Caribbean and would like to use them so I can keep earning miles. They only fly to Roatan or SAP. Flights from SAP to La Ceiba or Utila add a lot of expense to the trip. Basically I am looking for the easiest way to get to Utila without spending the night in Roatan then one of my valuable vacation days on 2 ferries (Roatan to La ceiba and La Ceiba to Utila), or having a marathon redeye travel day that leaves me exhausted and broke! Is it fairly easy to get a charter from Roatan to Utila, and if so can anyone recommend one that I can contact and arrange to get us there the day our flight arrives? I emailed Captain Vern Fine but haven't gotten a response. THANKS for any info!

Hi here is some info that I hope will help you

Flights

The main airports to fly into to get to Utila are San Pedro Sula on the mainland of Honduras or Roatan the next island, the international airlines that fly in are:-

Continental Airlines
American Airlines
Delta Airlines
TACA
Spirit

Spirit Air have some great value prices on flights but it usually means that you will not get to Utila in one day as their flights tend to land in the night.

You need to arrive in San Pedro Sula or Roatan by 1pm to be able to get to Utila the same day, from San Pedro Sula or Roatan we can arrange the small flight to Utila for you or you can go to Roatan Charter a travel company in the USA that specializes in flights here.

We would suggest that when you arrange your international flights that you arrange your return to take off from either San Pedro Sula or Roatan after 11pm.

From San Pedro Sula it is approximately a 35 minute flight and from Roatan 20 minutes.

Flights from San Pedro Sula sometimes will come direct or will sometimes stop in La Ceiba for a few minutes to pick up more passengers.

Flights do not come to Utila every day they arrive on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday and flights leave the island on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. You still can get to the island every day but would have to use the ferry from the mainland.

If you are already in Honduras you can also fly in from La Ceiba this would be on SOSA Airlines this can also be booked through Morgans Travel on Utila or again we can book these flights for you.

Good websites to look for flights to Honduras are

Orbitz Travel: Airline Tickets, Cheap Airfare, Hotels, Vacations, Car Rentals & Cruises
Travel: Airfares, hotels, vacations, cruises, car rentals and more at Travelocity.com
Tour catalog: "Honduras and a Little Bit of Belize"

Ferry

You can get to Utila by ferry from La Ceiba on the mainland of Honduras or Roatan, both ferries do 2 trips a day.

The cost for the La Ceiba – Utila ferry is approximately $22 each way; the ferry is called the Utila Princess.

Morning
Leave Utila 6.20am
Arrive La Ceiba 7.30am
Leave La Ceiba 9.30am
Arrive in Utila 10.40am

Afternoon
Leave Utila 2pm
Arrive La Ceiba 3.10pm
Leave La Ceiba 3.30pm
Arrive Utila 4.40pm

From Roatan

You have to get a ferry to the mainland then from the mainland to Utila, the cost is approx $28 one way $55 round trip or $34 and $65 in first class, the ferry is called the Galaxy.

Morning
Leave Roatan 7am
Arrive La Ceiba 8.15am
Leave La Ceiba 9.30am
Arrive Roatan 10.45am

Afternoon
Leave Roatan 2.00pm
Arrive in La Ceiba 3.15pm
Leave La Ceiba 4.30pm
Arrive Roatan 5.45pm

Thanks, this is basically the info that I've gleaned from online research. It seems like we'll have to either: spend a night in Houston or San Pedro Sula, fly redeye which really makes me ill, or spend a precious vacation day on ferries. Seems strange that there isn't a regular ferry from Roatan to Utila, don't a lot of divers want to visit both islands?
Thanks for the info, I guess I just have to accept that I'm going to a special place that isn't easy to get to!

Hi

Yes a lot of people do visit both islands, if you come in on a Saturday, you can get here in one day, we have a lot of customers that do it, there is a flight from Roatan on a Saturday to Utila.

The reason that there is not a ferry is that it would not be very reliable as it can get rough between the islands.

I would suggest Roatan.com they are usually very good and can work out a way for you to get here.

There really is no where in the USA that you cannot get here in a day, when I lived in England, ( I am English) If I wanted to go to most of the Caribbean I had a 8 to 10 hour flight before I got to the USA then I would have the same as you guys.

Dont give up I am sure you will find a way, Roatan.com can also link you up with a small plane that will fly you over here any day of the week.

Hope you make it and have a great time.

Thanks, this is basically the info that I've gleaned from online research. It seems like we'll have to either: spend a night in Houston or San Pedro Sula, fly redeye which really makes me ill, or spend a precious vacation day on ferries. Seems strange that there isn't a regular ferry from Roatan to Utila, don't a lot of divers want to visit both islands?
Thanks for the info, I guess I just have to accept that I'm going to a special place that isn't easy to get to!

The good news is if you take verns boat from Roatan it is great fun! Chances are you'll be to Utilia for an afternoon dive if you plan ahead, or maybe even can catch a night dive. One night at the west end in Roatan isn't the end of the world. But Utilia is a breath of fresh air. I did the Continential flight from SF Cali last December & spent the night in Houston. It's painless but does burn a day of vacation. I spent a month on Utilia over last christmas so feel to PM me if you'd like any more info. Neighbor :wink:

Just to share info with the board, I did hear from Capt. Vern Fine via email and he said he leaves Roatan at 1pm, arriving in Utila at 4pm (all times approximate!) every day, so we can connect as long as our 12:13 Continental flight isn't late! Going back from Utila to Roatan he leaves at 6am, arriving no later than 11am, so good for making afternoon flights from RTB.
Helpful folks at Aqua Dreams Travel (aquadreams.com) or Frank at Morgan's Travel (utilamorganstravel.com) can help you arrange a flight from either Roatan or SAP or La Ceiba if you want to go by air.

I'll post a trip report after we return in August! Happy Diving folks!

You're going to need to contact Vern on arrival as you are probably not going to make that time. And a way to call his local Roatan number unless you have international calling/roaming. My buddy's AT&T Int'l phone worked well.

First of all it's about 20mins. from the Airport to CTD's dock. Assuming that everything goes perfectly.

But it won't - not trying to stress you out but here's the reality:

The part that's going to hold you up is getting through Customs/Immigration on Roatan. Especially if more than one plane arrives around the same time. In our case it was 3 different flights that all arrived within about 15mins. of each other. One before us since we were a little late leaving Houston.

They are hysterically slow, basically because 4 lines narrow down to 2 lines once in the terminal. The processing is fast but it takes forever to get to the desk. Last year, we had the same experience but we were staying on Roatan.

Either get seats as close to the front of the plane as you possibly can or you can take a chance that they open the back door also. So far in our two trips to Roatan, we're 50/50. Last year they did but we were in the middle of the plane, so by the time everyone cleared out, we were near the end of the line entering the terminal. This year, we deliberately bought tickets in back, but were foiled when they didn't open the back door - the flight attendant told us they were planning to, but they didn't have the extra stairs when we arrived. So again we were at the back of the line.

We were on the same Continental flight as you last month and it was after 1PM when we finally cleared the airport. In our case, we were also late out of Houston so we probably didn't arrive until almost 12:25.

One really important tip, when you're standing in line outside before entering the building, get in line as far right as you possibly can. The line will bend to the right to get to the immigration desks so it's about 10 people shorter. Both times I've watched people we were standing in line next to outside, we've always beat them through to the baggage claim area.

Once you clear the immigration desk, pickup your bags and drop them on the conveyor, the attendant there will just watch them go through the scanner, but I've never seen her stop one.

After luggage screening, walk out of the terminal and go to the front of the cab line, don't listen to the drivers working the crowd inside the terminal, they want to get you in their cab which can be 8-10 cabs back in line - the others have to move before you do. There's sometimes a yellow? shirted cab agent there also, he'll take you to the first available cab if you see him.

If it looks like you'll miss Vern, take the cab to the Galaxy Ferry instead. It's in Dixon Cove, about 5-10 mins. east of the airport. It leaves at 2PM to LaCeiba, then you transfer to the Utila Princess which leaves about 1/2 hr. after you arrive in LC. We were on Utila by about 5PM. First Class is worth the extra $8 on the Galaxy, there's A/C, better seats, a movie and a free drink.

If you try to make it to the West End for Vern and he's not waiting for you, you won't make the Galaxy as it's about 1/2 hr. back from the West End. So commit to one plan before you leave the airport. The Galaxy boards early and leaves right on time.

The Galaxy baggage claim on arrival leaves a lot to be desired. Basically what they do is unload all the bags into a big holding area and everyone stands 4-5 deep at the counter, you have to spot your bags and then get the attention of one of the baggage handlers to hand them to you. Pointing while holding up the claim check seems to work well, they do check them.

Once you have your bags, just exit the terminal to the left - the Princess dock is the next one - it's about 100' away. They share the same parking lot. You'll probably see the Princess docked when you arrive on the Galaxy.

The return is much easier, you leave Utila at 6:20 and arrive in La Ceiba with time to spare. Same thing with the Galaxy back to Roatan, I think we had over an hour to wait at the Roatan gate after check-in before our flight boarded. Getting through the check-in line and departure screening is relatively quick and painless. You'll need $32 ($34? now) departure tax, lempira or dollars are accepted. It's a good place to dump your leftover lempira actually, the ladies speak English and will help you sort it out.

hth, I hope Vern can wait for you. I don't think you'll make it much before 1:30 unless things go perfectly. I thought Vern's was about a 4hr. trip also. So the ferries are faster, but not as much fun...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom