Getting to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To follow up on the OP's question...
Do flights arrive on Utila on Saturdays? If so, is the schedule the same as on the other days. The Aerolineas Sosa website doesn't list that flight, but the other typos in the schedule gave me a healthy dose of skepticism about it all together. I've seen a bit of conflicting info on this and could use some advice from someone on island.

I would recommend booking your SOSA flight through someone on Utila. We just did the SAP-Utila-SAP route, and SOSA did not honor any of the reservations made 8 weeks in advance by our resort's agent because of "computer problems" and we were re-routed. On the way in that meant a private charter, and on the way out a SOSA flight that stopped in La Ceiba as opposed to the direct flight. Even then, we didn't know until the day before if it would work out. Having someone local organize it and keep in communication with the airline saved us A LOT of headaches! Alice Hill is who our resort uses, and she made sure we got where we were going, one way or another.

Also, re:Roatan to Utila, another guest at our resort had to use Vern's catamaran to travel, b/c her charter was canceled. (and there were no other pilots available on the entire ilsand). She said Vern was very nice, but it took nearly 4 hours, b/c of the weather, and she had taken the red-eye from west coast -houston route, and didn't arrive at our resort until after 6. She was not feeling well. After all that travel, a long boat ride was not what she had in mind, when it is normally a 12 minute flight. Based on that, I would recommend flying into SAP - there are many more options of getting you to the island if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I agree about the red-eye flight plus boat trip, which is why I decided to spend a night in Houston in order to arrive rested on the noon flight to Roatan. The additional flights just added too much expense, so we are regarding the boat trip (whether it turns out to be Cap'n Vern or the Galaxy) as part of the adventure. Thanks everyone for your help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom