Getting trim right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FM,

I used to use a weight belt with a wetsuit and an AL80. I had trouble keeping my feet/knees from being pulled down.

This last trip I used a set of trim pockets from Halcyon attached to my cam bands. It made all the difference in the world.

That said, if you really want to know what it takes to "get trim" and be balanced, take a DIRF class. It's all taught there. You can't learn this stuff on the 'net.

Yeah, i saw your setup on the boat :)

I like the idea but due to the various conflicting advices that i've got i just want to make sure that it is _the_ idea before i spend $46 on those pockets :) (or $20 on similar, but not as nice, ones from LP)

The DIR-F class is _the_ idea. BUT.. it is serious money the requirements change (isn't it now that you have to own all DIR-F compliant gear before you take the class ?) .. i have part of the gear but not all of it and i am not sure i am ready to do a 100% switch (like jetfins+springstraps can run up the price even when you get them off ebay) .. and finally from the descriptions it seems like it is geared to "test" you on your skills and not that much "teach them" ... ie. you should already have most of the skills before you take the class...

i understand that this is probably totally not true but that's the picture i get from reading course materials/people's take on it... and spending $300 or so to learn that i am a wimp not worthy the instructor attention seems like an overkill :D

thanks for the replies...

i still feel a little bit like being at starting point (it is really ahrd to try all the suggestions when the options for trying are bottom of the pool at my boss' house (and facing riddicule moving my gear through the living room :) or jumping into the ocean only to decide that i am over/underweighted :)

so.. nex time.. arched back, knees up, hope for the best :) move tank up and down the backplate, ask buddy for comments (that's what was missing las time i went into a pool - nobody to make comments about how i look in there)

maybe i will go to those springs and test it out somewhere in the shallow water...

FallenMatt once bubbled...
Yeah, i saw your setup on the boat :)

I like the idea but due to the various conflicting advices that i've got i just want to make sure that it is _the_ idea before i spend $46 on those pockets :) (or $20 on similar, but not as nice, ones from LP)

The DIR-F class is _the_ idea. BUT.. it is serious money the requirements change (isn't it now that you have to own all DIR-F compliant gear before you take the class ?) .. i have part of the gear but not all of it and i am not sure i am ready to do a 100% switch (like jetfins+springstraps can run up the price even when you get them off ebay) .. and finally from the descriptions it seems like it is geared to "test" you on your skills and not that much "teach them" ... ie. you should already have most of the skills before you take the class...

i understand that this is probably totally not true but that's the picture i get from reading course materials/people's take on it... and spending $300 or so to learn that i am a wimp not worthy the instructor attention seems like an overkill :D

The $20.00 pockets will probably work just fine-I've never seen them, but how much different can they be??!

re: DIRF- Yes, you need the gear types that they require after the June classes begin. BUT, this class is not geared to "test" you. It does an amazing job of teaching the skills. You spend a lot of time above the water just practicing. Then there is in-water practice and critique. I think people are gettting confused over the certification part of the new course. There is a "test" in the sense that if you do well, you will get "certified". If you don't do well, you've just learned a heck of a lot of information and a bunch of new skills.

Everyone that has taken this class will tell you it is the best class for any amount that they have spent on dive instruction.

I've got 5 of the the Halcyon trim weight pockets ($46 for a pair - or $23 each) on my Pioneer rig in lieu of using a separate weight belt or the ACB system. I have one on each side of each tank band - as close to the wing as possible - and one on my left waist band to balance out my canister light (light + left pocket = ditchable weight). If necessary, the ones on the back could be ditched by my buddy. This allows maximum flexibility if I change my exposure suit or for going from fresh to salt H2O. A SS bp has definitely helped vs the AL bp for drysuit diving with AL80.

I'm still working on what weight to put high/low on the back. I'm still not completely comfortable in an absolutely horizontal position so I'd already started to wonder about having too much weight in the upper pockets. After seeing the info from both UP and MikeF about compensating for the extra weight by violating trim - that might be the missing clue for me.

I have DIRF this coming weekend so hopefully MHK will be able to get me squared away.

Back
Top Bottom