Getting wet down the front...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got a Fusion w/ the tech skin, has probably less than 20 dives on it - got it in April. I'm loving it, however, on my last two dives I've gotten wet down my front. On my last dive, Wednesday, I had on a red t-shirt under my MK2 and when I took the Fusion off the t-shirt was wet (darker red) from the neck of the t all down the front across my whole chest and stomach.

I'm thinking it's that the neck seal isn't sealing correctly for some reason, but could it be something else? The reason I'm thinking it's the front of the neck seal is because of the wetness pattern on my t-shirt. It was wet from the top of the shoulders - but not down the arms - all down the front of me as I said but not on the sides or back at all.

It doesn't help keeping me warm in 42F water!!

Zipper has been waxed after every other dive, neck seal was trimmed before it was ever dove and hasn't been touched since (only leaked on last two dives), I clean it after every dive and it hangs in the basement on a Hang-Air with the zipper closed.

Any ideas?!?

I had similar issues my last four dives. Air temp was close to 90F and water temp was 38F. It was hot suiting up and I'm sure I was sweating, then jumped into cold water. I've got to think that any sweat vapour would be condensing on the inside of the suit. Our relative humidity in the summer is only 20-30%, but you in Wisconsin the humidity would be quite high. So even if you didn't sweat, you'd capture some humidity/moisture when suiting up. Then, when diving your horizontal attitude would result in damp torso and upper legs.

If it was truly a leak, the little bit of 38F water would have been noticeable.

Just my theory.

Latex neck seals do stretch over time. It may well be that the seal was trimmed too much to begin with, without allowing for stretch. (They should be a little bit uncomfortable to begin with, or they'll do exactly what you describe.) In addition, latex hates skin oil and any ozone or hydrocarbons in its vicinity. If your suit has hung in the sun, or in a garage, or close to a water heater or other appliance, it may have affected the longevity of the seal.

No matter how carefully cared for, I go through latex neck seals in about 70 dives, which is why I have neoprene ones on my suits.

Could be, I sweat like a pig...but wasn't that warm before I got in the water so I don't think it was sweat. Condensation, could be but that much!?!? The MK2 was very wet as well.

The dive before this that I got wet on the water temp was low 60's, so I'd wonder if it was condensation at that point but I guess it could have been. But my buddy who has a fusion was not wet at all...

Latex neck seals do stretch over time. It may well be that the seal was trimmed too much to begin with, without allowing for stretch. (They should be a little bit uncomfortable to begin with, or they'll do exactly what you describe.) In addition, latex hates skin oil and any ozone or hydrocarbons in its vicinity. If your suit has hung in the sun, or in a garage, or close to a water heater or other appliance, it may have affected the longevity of the seal.

No matter how carefully cared for, I go through latex neck seals in about 70 dives, which is why I have neoprene ones on my suits.

I trimmed it according to their recommendation on their site after measuring my neck. It was for sure a bit uncomfortable at the beginning!!

It is stored in a basement and do have a water heater down there, along with washer/dryer, iron filter, water softener, 2 refrigerators...haven't applied talc yet but probably should, gotta remember to buy some...

neoprene seals huh?!? Did Whites put them on for you? What does that run?

I've got a Fusion w/ the tech skin, has probably less than 20 dives on it - got it in April. I'm loving it, however, on my last two dives I've gotten wet down my front. On my last dive, Wednesday, I had on a red t-shirt under my MK2 and when I took the Fusion off the t-shirt was wet (darker red) from the neck of the t all down the front across my whole chest and stomach.

I'm thinking it's that the neck seal isn't sealing correctly for some reason, but could it be something else? The reason I'm thinking it's the front of the neck seal is because of the wetness pattern on my t-shirt. It was wet from the top of the shoulders - but not down the arms - all down the front of me as I said but not on the sides or back at all.

It doesn't help keeping me warm in 42F water!!

Zipper has been waxed after every other dive, neck seal was trimmed before it was ever dove and hasn't been touched since (only leaked on last two dives), I clean it after every dive and it hangs in the basement on a Hang-Air with the zipper closed.

Any ideas?!?

How tight are your suspenders? I've found if I have them too tight, you don't have as much fexibility, and it tends to pull on the neck a bit with certain movements, causing a quick, momentary leak. If you loosen teh suspenders before zipping up, you may solve your problem.

I had my neoprene neck seal done by Superior Diving Repair. I can't remember what it cost, but they simply aren't expensive for anything. If I recall, I had that done, and a neoprene neck seal put in my Mobby's and the boots on the Mobby's swapped out for neoprene socks, and the wrist seals on the Mobby's replaced, and the whole bill was under $200.

OK, did a two tank dive in Lake Michigan yesterday and was a bit wet down the front but I'm pretty sure it's condensation as Jang mentioned. When getting geared up I rolled the neck seal like usual but didn't tuck my hood into the tech skin like I usually do. At depth on the Willie wreck it was 41F. My neck between the neck seal and hood was freakin' freezing because it was bare and I for sure would have felt that cold of water if it were getting in.

I will loosen suspenders a bit - great tip.

TSandM - thanks for the tip on Superior Diving repair, when it comes time for a new neck seal I'm going to go that route!

Late last year I had the exact same problem. I had trimmed the tapered neck seal to just barely comfortable and after a few dives started getting wet down the front. The guys from Whites were great in assessing the problem as a neck seal leak. I sent the suit back and had a non-tapered neck seal installed that was already the correct size for my neck. I have had ZERO problems since then. Other than condensation from sweating, I am totally dry.

WOW!!!!! Seems odd a Whites rep wouldn't respond too this.... Well, actually not really, it's already out of their door, why have good customer relation's? Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom